2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by Zakos »

I meant something more like every country has people who refuse to wear masks, but the US is one of the places that can't make it compulsory to do so in order to weed out those who refuse to play their part.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

True many countries even where masks are compulsory often still don't wear them. If caught they get fines, but how they going to make them pay the fines, I imagine the person woud just throw the fine in bin, or in many cases on the ground and litter.

Those who ignore the rules and get the virus I feel in ways that I don't give a rats ass if they die from it, but it the people they infect that concerns me .. how many people have they infected and have died.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The U.S. can absolutely make mask use compulsory. Many governors in New England have, and have been rewarded with lower infection rates than in states where governors have, for whatever reason, refused to enact any such mandate.

The difference between America and countries where the virus is under control is cultural and political, not legal.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

GarryG wrote: 02 Aug 2020 07:10If caught they get fines, but how they going to make them pay the fines, I imagine the person woud just throw the fine in bin, or in many cases on the ground and litter.
If you can't or won't pay fine you get jail time instead. That's how it works in basically all countries, and it's why fines are always problematic - if you are a rich, you just shrug about it, and pay them off. If you are poor, they might just ruin your life.

Of course sometimes fines are adjusted for income; that's generally a fairer system although never perfect.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote: 02 Aug 2020 15:44That's how it works in basically all countries, and it's why fines are always problematic - if you are a rich, you just shrug about it, and pay them off. If you are poor, they might just ruin your life.

Of course sometimes fines are adjusted for income; that's generally a fairer system although never perfect.
Reminds me of a very expensive speeding ticket issued in Finland once, where they operate under a system based on income. A man, Anssi Vanjoki (a former Nokia director) got slapped with a fine of €116,000 (that's roughly $135,000) for going 25km/h too fast on a bike.

And this Swedish driver was issued a million dollar speeding ticket in Switzerland after going 290km/h (180mph):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-10960230

I fully support this! :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GarryG wrote: 01 Aug 2020 23:24 A lot of people blaming the Governments for the virus spreading, but they done what they think should be done. It the fault of the people for not obeying what Governments suggested.
In the US, however, along with lax federal government oversight in favor of state oversight, you have lax state government oversight and elected officials who are unwilling to use their power to declare public health emergencies and enforce whatever needs to be done. Too many elected officials want to play political games rather than do the hard job of making tough decisions. Too many elected officials are actually too ignorant and refuse to educate themselves, instead choosing to spread false and disproven messages posted on social media by others so that these elected officials do not have to take responsibility for their own thoughts, words and deeds.

Pardon my French, but with p***-poor leadership like this, it's no wonder the United States is doing so poorly and so many people are refusing to do what is necessary. They're grown adults who refuse to behave like adults, and there's no other grown adults willing to tell them what to do.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

So sad news us folks of Aberdeen that are back in Lockdown , I must put my views across that I find this a bit unfair that Aberdeen folks that fancied a pint has forced the rest of us that was enjoying a wee bit of freedom now locked up again , I myself am now robbed of my once a week day out . One other Point I would like to say is why is Glasgow , who has much higher infection rate , not in Lockdown .https://news.stv.tv/politics/aberdeen-c ... -cases?top
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Just heard Christmas will be delayed this year .. as he will have to quarantine in some country for 14 days.

Poor kids have to keep a distance from him too when they go see him in shops to tell him what they want and get there photo taken with him.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

So, who's ready for Season 2?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It is indeed looking like season 2 is going to smack us in the face, the graph of infections per day (for the UK) has rocketed back upwards.
2020-09-17 19_35_27-Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK_ UK Summary.png
2020-09-17 19_35_27-Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK_ UK Summary.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That is horrible to see. We haven't experienced anything remotely like that in Sweden. As of right now, in the entire country, 17 people are intensive care due to covid-19. This is incredible compared to when, at worst, around 100 deaths per day were reported. We're a small country, you know.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The UK COVID data is on the government website here; https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

So far the rise in cases is not being matched in rise in deaths of a similar degree, but COVID generally takes a while to kill, where it will go on to do so. At peak the UK was recording well over 800 deaths per day, the vast majority of them in England.

Across europe, cases are also rising rapidly; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54189575
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Our curve peaked in June, in terms of positive tests. Since mid-July it has been flat with no signs of climbing despite increased testing. As it stands, Swedes can get tested within 24 hours. It does take 4-5 days to get your answer back, usually, which isn't great. Still, testing being so available is great.
Attachments
covid_deaths_Swe.png
covid_deaths_Swe.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
covid_cases_Swe.png
covid_cases_Swe.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 17 Sep 2020 19:53 As it stands, Swedes can get tested within 24 hours. It does take 4-5 days to get your answer back, usually, which
As it stands, I have needed two COVID tests. Once I ordered online through the National Health Service (NHS) website, and one was arranged for me by 111 (The non-emergency medical help number in the UK), both times it was delivered next day (by Amazon couriers), I completed the test and sent it by end of the day, the last collection for post in the UK is usually around 5pm. Both tests i got the results for, by text message, the day after i posted them, towards the evening of the next day. Which makes sense, arrives at the lab early morning, tested by the days end.
I honestly cannot fault the government or its home testing scheme, both times i've had one, its all been done and over with from arranging test to results within 48 hours.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I'm sure I don't need to bring up how my country is continuing to handle it.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Chrill wrote: 17 Sep 2020 19:06 As of right now, in the entire country, 17 people are intensive care due to covid-19. This is incredible compared to when, at worst, around 100 deaths per day were reported.
Redirect Left wrote: 17 Sep 2020 19:10 So far the rise in cases is not being matched in rise in deaths of a similar degree, but COVID generally takes a while to kill, where it will go on to do so. At peak the UK was recording well over 800 deaths per day, …
Similar image in Germany. We see a constant rise in infection reports since mid of july. Two day ago the infection rate per day was reported by over 2000 for the first time since 24th of april when over 3200 infections got reported. Inbetween we saw many days with reports of only a few hundred infections per day (mostly in may and june). On the other side we see a continiously low death rate with a few days without a single death and otherwise single-digits or low double-digits number of deaths for the whole time.

Medical scientists in Germany assume the higher portion of young infected persons during summer (in comparision with the spring time) with a typically mild process of the disease (this is a more or less literally translation of the german "milder Krankheitsverlauf") as the main cause for the low death rate.

Yesterday I got a report of the german corona warning app (circa 14 million users) for the very first time about a low risk encounter with a person that was later detected as infected.

Tschö, Auge
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

British government has finally acknowledged the UK is having a second wave, on the day UK infections rocketed well above 4000 in a day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54212654
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Zakos wrote: 18 Sep 2020 07:16 I'm sure I don't need to bring up how my country is continuing to handle it.
Or, not handling it, as the case may be... thank <insert deity of choice> that local governments are mostly doing what they can.

Speaking of tests, I got one myself a month ago. I had just moved from eastern KY to Indianapolis, IN to care for my dying grandmother. A week after I woke up with a 103.F fever, diarrhea and a nagging cough. Just to make sure I wasn't sick with it, I went to the ER, since many of my symptoms overlap with seasonal allergies and adverse affects of diabetes. I tested negative, and the best we can figure out is that my body's immune system had an adverse reaction to living ina house that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a year and was likely full of mildew and mold spores, on top of high seasonal pollen counts and no recent rains.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

kamnet wrote: 20 Sep 2020 05:37A week after I woke up with a 103.F fever, diarrhea and a nagging cough. Just to make sure I wasn't sick with it, I went to the ER, since many of my symptoms overlap with seasonal allergies and adverse affects of diabetes. I tested negative, and the best we can figure out is that my body's immune system had an adverse reaction to living ina house that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a year and was likely full of mildew and mold spores, on top of high seasonal pollen counts and no recent rains.
Glad you're okay. That sounds seriously un-fun.

I'm going back to university for a career change and got tested a couple weeks ago at the beginning of the semester to help the school with their baseline data. Luckily, all my classes are online so I won't have to worry about my fellow students partying and spreading the virus. I'm lucky enough to live in a rural area where I can exercise outdoors with no need for a mask.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

2TallTyler wrote: 20 Sep 2020 18:19
kamnet wrote: 20 Sep 2020 05:37A week after I woke up with a 103.F fever, diarrhea and a nagging cough. Just to make sure I wasn't sick with it, I went to the ER, since many of my symptoms overlap with seasonal allergies and adverse affects of diabetes. I tested negative, and the best we can figure out is that my body's immune system had an adverse reaction to living ina house that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned in a year and was likely full of mildew and mold spores, on top of high seasonal pollen counts and no recent rains.
Glad you're okay. That sounds seriously un-fun.

I'm going back to university for a career change and got tested a couple weeks ago at the beginning of the semester to help the school with their baseline data. Luckily, all my classes are online so I won't have to worry about my fellow students partying and spreading the virus. I'm lucky enough to live in a rural area where I can exercise outdoors with no need for a mask.
My youngest started college this year, joining his older brother. Oldest has only online classes this semester, youngest has one in-person class, and I'm surprised it hasn't moved to online yet since it's just a freshman orientation class, I don't see why it needs to be in-person. But in their dorm all students have a whole room to themselves instead of having a roommate, and every other dorm room is empty, with the empty rooms across from them offset.

Return to “Off-Topic”