30 Fps

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

skylokobe
Engineer
Engineer

30 Fps

Post by skylokobe »

My PC Is Quite Poweful And I Cant Get Over 34 FPS When On Normal Speed , When On 2x Speed I Got Up to 80 FPS

Anyone know why i cant get over 34 FPS on Normal Speed

Any Suggestion?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 30 Fps

Post by Redirect Left »

OpenTTD is a fairly old fashioned game. It wouldn't surprise me if its locked to a low FPS, because the speed of the game itself is depending on frames rather than any other time keeping.
Fast forward is basically telling the game to run its main loop as fast as the processor can physically do so. So when its playing normally, it is probably locked to the 'normal speed' fps instead of letting it run riot on the processor like fast foward.

edit: using an i7-8700, I get about 30fps too
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Why would you want it to run at a higher fps during normal speed?

There is also no such thing as 2x speed, there is only fast forward that says run the simulation as fast as possible, which might at larger games become the same as normal speed, which might also become slower than 30 fps if all calculations take long enough.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The target simulation speed is 1 game tick per 30 milliseconds, which translates to a simulation speed of 33.33 ticks/second. The framerate is usually limited to be the simulation speed, meaning if you simulate at normal speed and don't have slowdowns you should be getting 33.33 fps. If your game world is too complex for your computer to handle, you will get slowdowns, and the framerate might drop lower. If you run the game fast-forward, it will simulate ticks as fast as the computer can, though the graphics framerate might be capped lower so some ticks don't get rendered.

There's some slight inaccuracies in the timing code for all platforms, so typically you will see that on Windows a singleplayer game runs at around 33.0 fps, and on Linux and Mac you will see it running at 34.0 fps. When you are playing multiplayer, the game speed will instead be locked to the server, so a Windows client playing on a Linux server will see the game running at 34 fps.

And by the way, one game day is 74 ticks, so you can also express that one game day takes 2.22 seconds at normal speed.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

jfs wrote: 25 Jul 2020 10:47 There's some slight inaccuracies in the timing code for all platforms, so typically you will see that on Windows a singleplayer game runs at around 33.0 fps, and on Linux and Mac you will see it running at 34.0 fps. When you are playing multiplayer, the game speed will instead be locked to the server, so a Windows client playing on a Linux server will see the game running at 34 fps.
I thought in multiplayer the speed was locked to the slowest client, as each client would run its own simulation.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, the server is king. every client that cannot keep up with the server is kicked.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

skylokobe wrote: 24 Jul 2020 13:04 My PC Is Quite Poweful And I Cant Get Over 34 FPS When On Normal Speed (...)
Anyone know why i cant get over 34 FPS on Normal Speed
Increasing the amount of FPS will not make the animations smoother. This is due to the way the graphics are displayed and changing it would probably require a very deep rebuilding of this game, which could involve the loss of many previously created additions.
Transportman wrote: 25 Jul 2020 16:22 I thought in multiplayer the speed was locked to the slowest client, as each client would run its own simulation.
Eddi wrote: 26 Jul 2020 12:15 no, the server is king. every client that cannot keep up with the server is kicked.
I'm not sure, but a few years ago it was probably possible to adjust the speed of the game to the players abilities(?). Anyway, I used to play on a server that slowed down under heavy load even to x0.6 speeds. This setting was supposed to allow people with weaker equipment to play, but because the game slowed down too easily, it was abandoned.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”