JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by MagicBuzz »

Strange.

I got the issue with lastest commit, but it was partially fixed by reverting some versions : I got back all languages, but messages IDs were misaligned with the program : all texts were mixed.

I revert back to the lastest commit, then now everything is fine.

Probably some files VS decided to not recompile.
nirasa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nirasa »

JGR wrote: 13 Jul 2020 09:33
nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 08:40 I have Linux and I compile this program. I can't make a package for 0.35 = missing ./configure - the package doesn't exist. Did you change anything?
Sorry for my english :-(
nirasa
Trunk recently adopted CMake. You'll need to use that instead of configure.
Run:

Code: Select all

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
or see here.
I am sorry. I'm not a programmer and these lines won't compile me. :-( I do not understand that. Can you help me please?

Error:
Attachments
error-log.zip
(8.47 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Last edited by nirasa on 13 Jul 2020 16:16, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/nirasa/videos Czech language. :D
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 15:59 I am sorry. I'm not a programmer and these lines won't compile me. :-( I do not understand that. Can you help me please?
It's literally "cmake .." not just "cmake".
nirasa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nirasa »

_dp_ wrote: 13 Jul 2020 16:02
nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 15:59 I am sorry. I'm not a programmer and these lines won't compile me. :-( I do not understand that. Can you help me please?
Ok - I've already fixed the command, but there's a mistake - I attached files.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 16:13
It looks fine to me.
If you run make, does it work?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
nirasa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nirasa »

JGR wrote: 13 Jul 2020 18:53
nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 16:13

It looks fine to me.
If you run make, does it work?
No. The terminal writes that "...no targets are specified and no makefiles are found. End."
Attachments
error-make.png
error-make.png (86.19 KiB) Viewed 848 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 19:55 No. The terminal writes that "...no targets are specified and no makefiles are found. End."
The CMake error is shown in your last screenshot.
Helpfully CMakeErrors.log does not contain information about actual errors.

I've pushed an update, try it again.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
nirasa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nirasa »

JGR wrote: 13 Jul 2020 20:27
nirasa wrote: 13 Jul 2020 19:55 No. The terminal writes that "...no targets are specified and no makefiles are found. End."
The CMake error is shown in your last screenshot.
Helpfully CMakeErrors.log does not contain information about actual errors.

HURA! It's alright! Thank you. :-D
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I think I found a bug.

Probably related to this update :
Revision: 6d1535b90279287808f60087c7c325e59cbf807d
Author: Jonathan G Rennison <xxxxxxx>
Date: 12/07/2020 13:32:35
Also show destination on mouseover when vehicle waiting for PBS/routing restriction

----
Modified: src/vehicle_gui.cpp
When I stop a road vehicle, and buldoze the road in front of it, when I build it again, if I mouve over its status bar (when its written "stopped") then instead of simply showing its destination like the update is aimt to, the vehicle actually start again and run on my new road.

Most of the time I place my mouse there because I want to restart it, so I could admint "it's not a bug, it's a feature", but I'm not sure it's the way it should work ;)

-- Edit: I tried to reproduce the issue like described, but it looks like to me more random than this... I already noticed it several times, but I can't reproduce it :?

-- Edit2 : Or may I dreamed ? What about showing destination in red when the vehicle is stopped ? It should be less confusing, shouldn't it ?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MagicBuzz wrote: 14 Jul 2020 08:13 Hello,

I think I found a bug.

Probably related to this update :
Revision: 6d1535b90279287808f60087c7c325e59cbf807d
Author: Jonathan G Rennison <xxxxxxx>
Date: 12/07/2020 13:32:35
Also show destination on mouseover when vehicle waiting for PBS/routing restriction

----
Modified: src/vehicle_gui.cpp
When I stop a road vehicle, and buldoze the road in front of it, when I build it again, if I mouve over its status bar (when its written "stopped") then instead of simply showing its destination like the update is aimt to, the vehicle actually start again and run on my new road.

Most of the time I place my mouse there because I want to restart it, so I could admint "it's not a bug, it's a feature", but I'm not sure it's the way it should work ;)

-- Edit: I tried to reproduce the issue like described, but it looks like to me more random than this... I already noticed it several times, but I can't reproduce it :?

-- Edit2 : Or may I dreamed ? What about showing destination in red when the vehicle is stopped ? It should be less confusing, shouldn't it ?
This is how it now is in trunk.
The red cross on the left hand side is still present when mousing over to see the destination.

The only change I made was to also do the same for trains when in the waiting for PBS/routing restriction state.

I was a bit surprised that it was merged upstream so readily. If I generates significant confusion I can put the feature behind a setting.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

More than a setting, IMO the order should remain red when the vehicle is stopped, or it give impression the vehicle actually restarted.

I reported this as an issue in the trunk as well:
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues/8272
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

JGR wrote: 14 Jul 2020 08:28 ...
I know this patch pack was the first with 32 railtypes, but then again you used to work on the New Map Features project so maybe it was already made and this would be too much work for you... Is there a possibility of 128 roadtypes/tramtypes for this patch pack? The number of distinct roadtypes is well over 32 and combined with tramtypes I find that there's just not enough slots.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
ino
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ino »

CMake is fast becoming THE standard over the usual autoconf (i.e. makefile). It is much easier to maintain, and the same config file can be used both for macOS, Windows, and Linux. It is also much easier to maintain than autoconf. Granted, it takes more time to set up.
(although am getting messages suggesting my cmake is out of date, which I think is unlikely).
What version you are using then? JGR requires at least 3.6. You'd be surprised at how many system shipped with outdated CMake.
Where is the configure script? Why the change?
Configure script is part of autoconf, and as I explained, CMake is becoming the new standard, and is much better in long run than dated autoconf.
Compiles just fine in the way we are used to,, and as your patch used to be. Why is this patch now suddenly so different to build?
The changes landed in vanilla OpenTTD on June 6. The latest stable 1.10.2 is released on June 1 before the changes. If you download nightly, it is also now requiring CMake.

If you don't post any error messages, no one can help you.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Gadg8eer wrote: 15 Jul 2020 23:59
JGR wrote: 14 Jul 2020 08:28 ...
I know this patch pack was the first with 32 railtypes, but then again you used to work on the New Map Features project so maybe it was already made and this would be too much work for you... Is there a possibility of 128 roadtypes/tramtypes for this patch pack? The number of distinct roadtypes is well over 32 and combined with tramtypes I find that there's just not enough slots.
At the moment there is a maximum of 63 road/tram types. I don't think it's likely that the number will increase beyond that, 63 is already barely usable from a UI point of view.
hostwey wrote: 16 Jul 2020 07:35 Very disapointed to discover I can't compile the latest patch 0.35 on Fedora. Used to be easy! Cmake just doesn't work. Just comes up with errors, even when I point to the source. Compile instructions don't make much sense (although am getting messages suggesting my cmake is out of date, which I think is unlikely). Can't find the source. Point it to the src but still doesn't work .Where is the configure script? Why the change?

Thanks for your efforts over the years, but think I'll just stick on the last patch that I'm allowed compile which is 0.34-4. I want to play the game, not learn programming everytime there is an update!

To make sure I wasn't going nuts, I downloaded the very latest source code for the game from the official OpenTTD website. Compiles just fine in the way we are used to,, and as your patch used to be as does 0.34-4. Why is the latest version of your patch now suddenly so different and difficult to build, at least for Linux users?
CMake is new and unfamiliar to me as well. I'm not really fond of it either. The main upside is that the Windows/MSVC side is much more sensible than what was there before.

Prior to commit 68f216ca builds did not work with CMake versions less than 3.12. I'd recommend trying with the most recent commit in the jgrpp branch.
It should work with CMake 3.6 or later.
ino wrote: 16 Jul 2020 08:02Configure script is part of autoconf, and as I explained, CMake is becoming the new standard, and is much better in long run than dated autoconf.
The configure script was not actually autoconf based.
It is a bit debatable whether CMake qualifies as a/the new standard.

I will see if I can add a shell script wrapper to make it more obvious what to do.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

I am also not able to compile a version of JGRPP 0.35.0 for Ubuntu Linux. I got the same errors as nirasa.
I updated my copy of your repository with git fetch upstream on the branch jgrpp to get the latest commits. After that I moved to the directory build but cmake .. quitted with the message, that no CMakeLists.txt was found in the repos base dir. I moved back to the base dir, made a checkout of the branch jgrpp-0.35.0, moved again to build and repeated the run of cmake ... I got the initial errors (same as nirasa) again.

What is the step I forgot or where I took the wrong way on a junction?

Tschö, Auge
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Auge wrote: 16 Jul 2020 09:41 Hello

I am also not able to compile a version of JGRPP 0.35.0 for Ubuntu Linux. I got the same errors as nirasa.
I updated my copy of your repository with git fetch upstream on the branch jgrpp to get the latest commits. After that I moved to the directory build but cmake .. quitted with the message, that no CMakeLists.txt was found in the repos base dir. I moved back to the base dir, made a checkout of the branch jgrpp-0.35.0, moved again to build and repeated the run of cmake ... I got the initial errors (same as nirasa) again.

What is the step I forgot or where I took the wrong way on a junction?

Tschö, Auge
`git fetch` retrieves commits from a remote, but does not change which commit you are currently using locally.

Try:

git checkout jgrpp
git pull upstream jgrpp
or

git checkout jgrpp
git reset --hard upstream/jgrpp
Running:

git log -1
should return something like:

commit d290fac2ad7034842729980a12ee792dda3538f4 (HEAD -> jgrpp, upstream/jgrpp)
Author: Jonathan G Rennison <j.g.rennison@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jul 15 17:10:05 2020 +0100

Add hotkey to show link graph legend window
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
JGR wrote: 16 Jul 2020 10:22
Auge wrote: 16 Jul 2020 09:41 I am also not able to compile a version of JGRPP 0.35.0 for Ubuntu Linux. I got the same errors as nirasa.

[I did …]
`git fetch` retrieves commits from a remote, but does not change which commit you are currently using locally.
You are right. Normally I compile a tag but now I have to compile upstream/jgrpp after only fetching or I have to pull your changes to my branches.
JGR wrote: 16 Jul 2020 10:22 Try:

git checkout jgrpp
git pull upstream jgrpp
Running:

git log -1
should return something like:

commit d290fac2ad7034842729980a12ee792dda3538f4 (HEAD -> jgrpp, upstream/jgrpp)
Author: Jonathan G Rennison <j.g.rennison@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jul 15 17:10:05 2020 +0100

Add hotkey to show link graph legend window
Thank you. The commands cmake .. and make ran successfully.

Tschö, Auge
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello JGR,

I'm realizing there are some parameters that are not translated into french.

How can I help you translating to french ?
Should I send you an updated french.txt file ?
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MagicBuzz wrote: 17 Jul 2020 08:12 Hello JGR,

I'm realizing there are some parameters that are not translated into french.

How can I help you translating to french ?
Should I send you an updated french.txt file ?
Sure, I'm happy to receive translations.

Most of the translations I receive are in the forms of PRs.
This would be preferable as it makes the process much smoother, but if you're not familiar with git just sending an updated french.txt file with a note as to which version you started from would be fine.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Denswillow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Denswillow »

I had a bug with 35.0, report below:
Attachments
crash-20200718T185545Z.png
(182 KiB) Not downloaded yet
crash.txt