[OTTD] British Rail Amir's Version

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[OTTD] British Rail Amir's Version

Post by TheAmir259 »

So quite some years back i tried building a british rail network at it's peak, and now i just felt like coming back to OpenTTD so i decided to finish this 'little' project of mine. For the map itself, i used the rather nice UK v3 Scenario Map by JonScaife, and since it was from quite a long time ago, i couldn't find any other scenarios better than this one, and heightmaps just don't cut it. Well let's get right into it then.

I'm in a rush right now so i'll just post the download link to my map here so watch out for this space.

Save game name's BRBA which stands for British Railways By Amir, here's the download link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Currently (7th June) the file isn't loadable for Vanilla OpenTTD. At one point i crossed over to JGR's Patchpack, and although i did nothing that could've physically conflicted with the vanilla version, i still couldn't get it to load on the vanilla side (although i am trying). On JGR, the version's 0.31.3, so anything lower won't work (i presume).

Changelog (temporary, i'll maybe put it in a notefile instead):
[+] Spoiler
Version 1 - Made with JGR's Patchpack ver 0.31.3; Removed every city and placed down a new London, many rivers reattached/realigned.
Version 1.1 - A backup version with none of the progress from V1.
Version 2 - Made with JGR's Patchpack ver 0.34.4; Readded cities over Ireland and Continental Europe.
Version 3.1 - Added few key cities over the main island.
Version 3.2 - Added more key cities and highland villages.
Version 4.1 - Laid down tracks over the majority of Kent.
Version 4.2 - Incorporated the majority of South Western Main Line out of London Waterloo.
Version 4.3 - Extended into Bristol & established a base over Plymouth.
Version 4.4 - Expanded the network in the South West Peninsula.
Version 4.5 - Connected the South Western Peninsular network with the main network.
Version 4.6 - Completed the Southern network. Added plenty of towns all over the 'island'
Version 4.7 - Added the Welsh Marches Line. Restored the line via Chard Junction.
Version 4.8 - Finished the Welsh Marches Corridor. Cities & villages added in the region.
Version 4.90 - Fixed the alignments over several places, added new lines and integrated ugly duplications. Added villages.
Version 4.91 - Fixed the roughland ugliness. Turns out the trees were the one doing it. Added more towns and villages.
Version 4.92 - Development on hold.
Version 4.93 - Relaid the Settle & Carlisle and Stainmore Line, along with the Eden Valley branchline.
Version 4.94 - Alston, Weardale & Tees Valley lines added.
Version 4.95 - Border Counties, Wansbeck line and Peebles loop added.
Version 4.96 - Railways around Whitby, Workington in addition to main lines between Carlisle & Glasgow added/reworked
Version 4.97 - Added railways around Aberdeen, redid Arbroath, and the Perth-Kinnaber Junction line
Version 4.98 - Fixed Glasgow, Edinburgh, and the Castle Douglas Railway. Added more lines north of Glasgow.
Version 4.99 - Very tiny adjustment around Princes Risborough.
Version 5.00 - Restarted the Project. In short, made a heightmap of the previous map and relaid all rivers and cities outside of the main Island. Made with OpenTTD v1.11.2 (not JGR's)
Last edited by TheAmir259 on 16 Jul 2021 12:21, edited 19 times in total.
You can also find me at Reddit. Check out my OpenTTD Screenshots & Savefiles!
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] British Rail Amir's Version

Post by TheAmir259 »

I think Version 3.2's had enough of towns around, so i think i'll resume progress on tracklaying. Please do inform me immediately if you cannot access the download link or if you do encounter problems trying to load the map. I still am trying to get the map to work with the original (vanilla) OpenTTD so fret not (or maybe you still should).
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 3.png
Great Britain Progress 3.png (204.39 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.1 is up, I've done a large part of Kent, wasn't quite satisfied with how small of a space i've got to work with over some of the places (Maidstone, Ramsgate), hence the reason why it's as such.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 4.png
Great Britain Progress 4.png (118.76 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

I wanted to check this out, but I'm encountering an issue. Using JGR's Patchpack 0.34.2
oop.PNG
oop.PNG (2.19 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
No idea what t o do to fix this...
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Im truly sorry for the late reply, was busy. I'll try to resolve the problem where possible, but i'm pretty sure it's due to version incompatibility. As noted in the changelog, starting from Version 2 onwards, i've switched over to JGRPP 0.34.4
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

My bad! I didn't see that you updated to 34.4, and only saw that you updated to 31.3. It works on 34.4!
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Glad there wasn't any problem. Anyway, 4.2 is now up.
Progress is quite slow, i must admit. But i've managed to incorporate the entirety of the South Western Main Line together with some extra side dishes. I'm thinking of laying down the main lines then filling in the ones in between them so next may be the Great Western and their extension down into Cornish Main Line.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 5.png
Great Britain Progress 5.png (141.07 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.3 is up!
Finished the main Great Western Mainline, the lines into Bristol was quite a pain but managed to do it regardless. I've also established a base over Plymouth. Felt like giving South Devon Mainline a new name, Dawlish Mainline instead. And don't worry, I have an idea as to how to do the Dawlish Sea Walls, so keep your hopes up! Aside from that, I'm also thinking of extending the LSWR network down to Penzance, by expanding from Padstow via Newquay, crossing the GWR's Cornish Mainline at Truro into Falmouth before both of them merging on the approach into Penzance. Hopefully there'll be enough space for me to construct two mainlines down there.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 6.png
Great Britain Progress 6.png (183.3 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.4 is up
Filled up the entire Cornwall & majority of Devonshire. Also reworked Beighton Junction (GCML outside Sheffield). I've included some fictional lines into the region such as railways up Dartmoor & the LSWR extension all the way down into Penzance.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 7.png
Great Britain Progress 7.png (102.15 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.5 is out!
It was taking me quite a while so i decided to release one backup first before things could go wrong. Originally i wanted to wait till i finished the main Southern region (East Coastway, West Coastway and everything in between them and London), but this should be a good enough of a progress.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 8.png
Great Britain Progress 8.png (231.58 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.6 is out!
Finally! Also added plenty of towns and villages, especially up there over the Scottish Highlands (& Far North). Next will be the Welsh Marches, will be running the main line along the Welsh border and stop right before entering it at Hereford. Fill up everything in between that and the national rail network, then leave Wales be (at least for a while). I really need to rework the lines north of the midlands because the standards i've set there were different, and the alignment is terrible in some places (2 Gretnas, i don't know what i was doing back then; Kirby Stephen is also terrible, but reworking it is gonna be quite hard).

I'm probably not gonna bother making it compatible with vanilla OTTD by now, although a lot of my standards will still be the same (supposedly compatible with vanilla); e.g. no curved-entrance bridges (useful over Barnstaple & Dundee), no signals on bridges and tunnels (the signalling method is just no different from placing them right outside those things) and so on.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 9.png
Great Britain Progress 9.png (117.81 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.8 is out! Finally can start reworking the entire network now. Sorry Wales, I'll do you later.
In the list of things i need to rip out and relay:
  • Manchester-Liverpool Axis
  • Banbury
  • Stainmore Line (Kirby Stephen & Bishop Auckland)
  • Waverley Route (the branches)
  • Caledonian Main Line (Gretna stretch & branches)
  • Glasgow (all the branches out of it)
  • Aberdeen (If possible/necessary)
  • Callander & Oban Railway (Callander portion)
  • Skipton (Skipton-Ilkey & Skipton-Burnley via Colne)
  • Blackburn (Orientate)
  • Chesterfield-Martock (Proposed but never done)
  • Selby
  • Hatfield
  • Walsall
If you have any ideas, suggestions or even oppositions and/or i haven't listed them out in the above list, then please do tell me, i'd love to hear (and possibly) implement it right away.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 10.png
Great Britain Progress 10.png (115.58 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Thanks! Meanwhile, version 4.90 is out!
I tried removing all trees and replanting them, but i only noticed the roughlands after i've saved it. Made the map look very ugly, but oh well.

By now i felt like i should probably create a new map. I had test-played this before, even during the early days of me playing this scenario map, and noticed that some GRFs either didn't load or loaded improperly. I'm not sure what to do, but i don't think tampering with the scenario/savefile is a good thing to do. So i've come to the conclusion that perhaps, i should replicate this map. This would also give me the chance to make it vanilla compatible since i can start anew from that version instead. The current map also has some other issues such as the sparks/smoke effects from the trains, and that storymode bug caused by me previously loading a gamescript (i've taken it out by Version 1, so it's the progress before it) and so on. Not sure how long that'll be so i'll be finishing the Wales part first before replicating this map (by hand). Also remind me to remove some uneccesary GRFs, makes things much cleaner.

I've checked your thread (not save, just yet) out @mrbeanisgood, it is very impressive, keep up the good work!
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 11.png
Great Britain Progress 11.png (280.12 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

It seems like i will have to make this announcement, that the development of this map has (temporarily) stopped. Aside from my assignments piling up, I accidentally immersed myself in Simutrans. My last progress of the map was over Middlesborough, but apparently i forgot where my progress last ended so i don't think the Manchester-Liverpool lines are uploaded, just yet. I'm also thinking of formatting my (old/obsolete) laptop as there's too much junk (and a worm too). So unfortunately i've backed up the OpenTTD files and can no longer run it (or rather i don't feel like running it), as such there won't be any screenshot to follow up. I don't mind anyone picking up this project but any progresses is advisable to be updated either here or directly to me. Afterall, i (hopefully) will be picking this project back anyway.

And so, Version 4.92 is up! Everything should still be connected aside from Stainmore Line via Barnard Castle.

P.S did you realise i wrote Chesterfield-Martock when it's supposed to be Matlock instead. Yep, fault on my end that time.
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

I'm back! And Version 4.93 is up! I've reconnected the Settle & Carlisle Line, Stainmore Line and added the Eden Valley Line. Never thought aligning Appleby would be harder than Kirkby Stephen, which is the core of this track-relaying. Recently my laptop experienced some problems so i'll be dropping new versions without polishing unless i have the time.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 12.png
Great Britain Progress 12.png (186.65 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.94 is out. Added the Alston line, Weardale line & Tees Valley line. Originally intended to link all the three of them with a junction just south of Alston, but scrapped the idea soon after. Putting in river Wear was also one of them, but putting in the bridges on the existing railways isn't as easy as it sounds, especially in making it look pretty.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 13.png
Great Britain Progress 13.png (172.74 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.95 is up.
Added the Border Counties Railway, Wansbeck Railway & Peebles Loop. I spent most of it identifying potential additions and reworks. And found a lot of them:
  • Realign Caledonian Main Line over Beattock Summit
  • Rework Dumfries, along with the line to Stranraer via Castle Douglas
  • Link from Paisley to Kilmarnock, along with reworking Kilmarnock
  • Crianlarich to Stirling via Callander
  • Extend Glasgow Central (& possibly Glasgow Queen Street too) platforms to 7
  • Completely rework Edinburgh, remove Haymarket station
  • Add the link between Perth & Montrose that bypasses Dundee
  • Dee Valley line that branches out of Aberdeen
  • Add a branch to West Kilbride (probably terminating at Largs instead)
  • Add a branch to East Kilbride (possibly connecting to Caledonian Main Line)
  • Link from Cumnock to Caledonian Main Line (probably Carstairs)
  • Rework the Gretna stretch
  • Add the Carlisle-Silloth line, in addition to the bridge crossing Solway Firth
  • Study branch lines north of Aberdeen
  • Study other railway lines along the Cumbrian Coast line
I'd also like to ask your opinions on what starting year would you prefer, in addition to what UK NewGRFs you guys would use. Feedbacks are verily appreciated, and feel free to lend me a hand if you wish to, i can't multitask afterall so just contact me.
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 14.png
Great Britain Progress 14.png (178.36 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.96 is out!
Running out of money, can i make it? Anyway, Reworked both Glasgow South Western Line & Caledonian Main Line, and added/reworked a number of lines surrounding them. Also added several lines around Whitby & Malton, and Workington & Silloth. We're almost there!
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 15.png
Great Britain Progress 15.png (134.76 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
TheAmir259
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TheAmir259 »

Version 4.97 is up!
Little progress, but i found a way to actually fix the gamefile setting problem. I will generate a heightmap although will mean having to relay the rivers again. I'm also quite troubled with the choice of gamescripts and start dates. I've been trying out Timberwolf's UK trains and honestly they're superb, but for the sake of platform length, this will have to stay with UKRS2, not that it's bad anyway. As soon as i fix Glasgow and Edinburgh (in the next update), i'll begin with recreating the map so as to remove all the problems related to the current savefiles (smokepuffs and electric sparks is just the surface of the problems)
Attachments
Great Britain Progress 16.png
Great Britain Progress 16.png (135.66 KiB) Viewed 1816 times

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”