2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by wallyweb »

planetmaker wrote: 18 Mar 2020 10:34 Seems remote working is getting difficult... online meetings start to fail as their infrastructure becomes overburdened by the current usage.
Anybody seeing any lag times in their OTTD server games?
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

GarryG wrote: 19 Apr 2020 00:43 Guess there be a baby boom in 9 months time :D
With 6 feet/2 meters separation? :mrgreen:
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

wallyweb wrote: 21 Apr 2020 12:02 With 6 feet/2 meters separation?
That only when outside. I don't think they will keep that far apart when inside the house.. Curiosity how many lovers have stopped being in same bed since this problem started :roll:
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I'm seeing a lot of comments about boredom.
This might be a good time to start up a game of OpenTTD and create that perfect screenshot for the Screenshot Of The Month Competition! :mrgreen:
A great way to enjoy that work-at-home coffee break or that home-schooling recess or to simply while away the time. :D
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Good idea .. screenshot comp should be fairly simple no worries about the city life. Get out into the country and get hands dirty or go camping, fishing any thing you like to do in the country.
Soot Happens
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Would have expected this topic to be more active.

Update on the hotel. They changed their policy the day I was travelling down, so I got a "corona voucher", which will allow me to rebook a hotel at a later date.

Situation in the UK, as many of you may be aware is as follows: Lockdown restrictions have been eased slightly in England, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland haven't changed if I remember correctly. Currently second highest death toll in the world, with the 4th highest amount of cases. Although, I feel the number of cases isn't really close to the true total - the testing seems to have been a bit of a mess in the UK.

Personally, I haven't had it to my knowledge, I'm staying out of the way of people and safe from the virus, only venturing out to the shops a couple of times a week, mostly for my own sanity! I have noticed the roads have been getting busier and busier in recent weeks though. I live near a major crossroads, and the traffic is probably about 50% of pre-lockdown levels now.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Update from New Brunswick, Canada:

As of this past evening our province has only 2 possible cases, one active and one awaiting test results. Before they appeared last week we were declared to be Covid-free. We have had no deaths and only 120 confirmed cases, with 118 confirmed Covid free.

I suspect our good fortune to be largely due to our rather low population density. We have only ~750,000 with only three cities (including suburbs) above 100,000. Add to that, we have closed all our borders to non-essential travel with all entrants going into 14 day quarantine.

We are beginning to take measured steps towards easing restrictions. The big concern now is shifting towards the economy. Will businesses survive the shutdown? Will there be jobs for people to return to? How will governments deal with the enormous debt, some orders of magnitude above annual GDP? Will the cure be worse than the disease?

Before we count our chickens, we should recognize that barring tests and obvious symptoms, Covid is undetectable. Don't count on vaccines. SARS was a coronavirus and it has been as yet impossible to formulate a vaccine.

I shall continue to wash my hands, avoid crowds and eat all my veggies. Spinach, broccoli and red bell pepper are rather high in the elements that support our immune systems and they make for an attractive and delightful salad.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Where I staying in Ozamiz City, Philippines we have had 3 cases of the Covid-19. 1 person died, 1 recovered and other still in isolation.

We are in lockdown till May 30. No one allowed in and out of the city. People 20 years and younger and over 59 not allowed visit shops. All streets have check points where authorities check IDs .. no ID not allowed past. If ok to go past you sign a paper and have 3 hours to go do what need to do and report back.

I want to go home to Australia, but that will not happen now for many months, End of August might be the earliest.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Lockdown here where I am still on .. extended to end of June :( .

Schools still closed and the president say be no more school in class rooms till they have a curer for the virus. In August school will be via internet and some work will be posted to the students.

Anyone 21 years of age and younger and 60 years and older not allowed in shops and places of crowds. (That means me .. I not allowed to go shopping :( )

They have a curfew and at 8 pm every one must be off the streets. All shops and business must close in time to allow employees to get home by 8 pm. They sound air-raid sirens at 8 pm to let people know.

Some domestic transport services starting to operate but at limited capacity of passengers. Domestic airlines and ferries only allowed to carry passengers that had been stranded and are going home .. no holiday makers allowed to have a holiday yet.

I can't get back to Australia by a flight Ozamiz-Manila and Manila-Sydney till probably end of September, possibly later. There are some flights via Hong Kong, Japan and other countries, but I feel that only increasing my chances to catch that virus waiting around at airports in other countries. Besides there is talk all international flights may be cancelled soon to and from Australia. Hate to get stranded in another country. So I feel it best and safer for me to stay put for now.
Soot Happens
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've been working from home since the pandemic broke out in Sweden, but like most European countries we are easing restrictions. We are seeing a decrease in deaths in Sweden, but it's excruciatingly slow, and Stockholm is still the hardest hit area. A colleague of mine was just released from hospital after being in the ICU for 10 days, but luckily I do not know of any people in my proximity who have lost family members or close friends.

I don't know how you all feel, but being this socially isolated is not enjoyable at all. My summer vacation starts this Friday, and with most entertainment locations closed for the summer I'll probably enjoy a rather calm staycation.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 24 Jun 2020 07:03 I don't know how you all feel, but being this socially isolated is not enjoyable at all. My summer vacation starts this Friday, and with most entertainment locations closed for the summer I'll probably enjoy a rather calm staycation.
For me it started out as normal, stay at home do all the things I enjoy doing. However as time has gone by, i think its got to me, not because I specifically want to be outside, but because I am not meant to go outside, so i want to go outside. I have the mentality of a child, despite being 30 apparently.

In the UK we're currently experience our one week of summer, with temperatures today hitting highs of 31'C in some areas of Greater London (Heathrow, mostly, rest is 25-30C in England). So that's our summer ruined.
I'm meant to be shielding from the pandemic due to having Multiple Sclerosis, although due to having no one to do it for me, and ridiculously long wait times for deliveries, I'm still going to the supermarkets and pharmacies to get food and medicines
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

In New Brunswick, we are allowed to go out for essentials.
Day 1. Chips(aka crisps) are essential. I went out.
Day 2. Chips need soda. Soda is essential. I went out.
Day 3. Chips need chip dip. Chip dip must be essential. I went out.
Day 4. Cookies are essential. I went out.
Day 5. Pizza is essential. I went out.
Day 6. Pizza needs beer. Beer is essential. I went out.
Day 7. Sunday is a day of rest. Rest is essential. Therefore a nap in the park is essential. I went out.
Second Week:
I'm all out of essentials. I went out ... seven more times ...
... And so it goes ...
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

wallyweb wrote: 24 Jun 2020 17:09 Day 1. Chips(aka crisps) are essential. I went out.
Day 2. Chips need soda. Soda is essential. I went out.
This sounds like the plot of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

2TallTyler wrote: 24 Jun 2020 17:57 This sounds like the plot of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. :)
ROFL ...
Brings to mind the tale of Grandpa looking for the keys to his car. Two hours later, after many discoveries which led from one thing to another, with the keys completely forgotten, Grandpa sits in his favourite chair, leans over place his cup of tea upon the side table and therupon sees the keys to his car.

Which reminds me ...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jun 2020 14:41In the UK we're currently experience our one week of summer, with temperatures today hitting highs of 31'C in some areas of Greater London (Heathrow, mostly, rest is 25-30C in England).
Quite the same! 31 all this week, and around 30 next week also. We look set for a repeat of 2018 in terms of weather. I don't mind it!
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 24 Jun 2020 22:26 Quite the same! 31 all this week, and around 30 next week also. We look set for a repeat of 2018 in terms of weather. I don't mind it!
I might have to pack my bags for Sweden when this is over, you get at least 1 extra week of summer over the UK in that case!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jun 2020 23:47
Chrill wrote: 24 Jun 2020 22:26 Quite the same! 31 all this week, and around 30 next week also. We look set for a repeat of 2018 in terms of weather. I don't mind it!
I might have to pack my bags for Sweden when this is over, you get at least 1 extra week of summer over the UK in that case!
Not to worry. Climate change will bring you a lot more summers of 30+ in the future. Yay for destroying the Earth!
My Scenarios:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Chrill wrote: 24 Jun 2020 07:03 I don't know how you all feel, but being this socially isolated is not enjoyable at all. My summer vacation starts this Friday, and with most entertainment locations closed for the summer I'll probably enjoy a rather calm staycation.
It's driving me insane. I've not seen my girlfriend since January (Long distance thing) and we've had to scrap 3 trips to see one another, and the 4th in July for the whole summer isn't looking too likely now.
Not been able to see friends really at all for it all which is what really keeps me sane.
I couldn't spend time with my grandfather before he died, although I was able to be be his side when he passed at the very least. But it's still pretty horrible.

And I've been working throughout the whole lockdown which some days has been pretty calm and easy, and other times just plain ridiculous. I've seen SO many people who were flunking the lockdown from day one, many who don't care. Then with the first set of beach and park trips. Then Mr Cummings' eye-test road trip. Now with the flood of people to the beaches again... it angers me so much. Why? Because I just think I can't do the things I love, I can't see the people I love, I can't enjoy life at the moment, I cannot be me. So what gives the rest of you the god damn right to do as you please when the rest of us can't! That's how I feel anytime I see those people.
Eventually I've got to the point now where I feel like I don't care about anyone else except those closest to me.

Then of course the whole politics of it in the UK where people are praising a "Brave and powerful government" doing the right thing and leading us through this. And then I'm sitting there fuming thinking urm no?! We locked down months later than everyone else, and even then didn't have clear rules. Had things made up as we went along, very little guidance or planning. Then easing of lockdown made no sense and was being done whilst we were still having the highest daily deaths & cases of anyone else in Europe whilst they are all still locked down. Then I learn that this whole time no one had to quarantine upon arrival.. plus a list of other things. Hell, when everyone else was going into a full lockdown, what was our advice? "Sing happy birthday twice while you wash your hands" and then hope herd immunity would work instead... :roll:

So yeah. That's how I feel. Angry, fed up, exhausted, upset, depression spiking up and down at random points, and overall pretty sick and ashamed of people. (not all of course, but quite a large number!)

Ok, Geo has finished ranting now. Ganna go back to my hole and hide away again :mrgreen:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, in the last two weeks, I've had to visit Birmingham twice, once for a medical related to a new job, and the second time to grab the keys for my new house/flat. As I don't drive, both journey's had to be made by train, for which, of course, we are still being advised is for essential travel only, and that we must wear a face mask if medically exempt or under 11

The first trip (last Tuesday), every train I was on was either empty, or close to it. I think during all 4 journey's I made to get to/from Birmingham, I only saw 4 other in my carriage (across all of them). Birmingham City Centre wasn't quiet, but it wasn't exactly busy. One thing I did notice when getting my train back out of Birmingham is that there was a fair few people getting off it though, so I could have been too early (I left at 1500)

The second trip (today), trains were much busier, Birmingham City Centre was much busier (around 1200). One thing I did notice this week is that Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham New Street stations were handing out face masks to people, but there was basically no point. Some of the people who had face masks, instead of actually wearing them on the trains, had them round their necks, on top of their head, basically any where that wasn't their mouth and nose. Of course, majority of train crew are being advised not to leave the cab/office, which means that this isn't being monitored either.

I'm fortunately relatively upbeat about things atm, my work is good, my family are all okay, and things do seem to slowly be improving, but the amount of people who seem to think that this has already completely disappeared don't fill me with confidence for the future.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A considerable amount of Brits decided over the past few days to hit the beach, so i'm not going to be surprised if there's a huge uptick in cases and a potentiual second wave.

Bournemouth Beach: https://i.ibb.co/NmY9V6v/beach.png - Estimated about 0.5M hit Bournemouth at some point over the past 2-3 days, surprised that many even know where Bournemouth is, amusingly the central jetty even has a warning of go home if its too busy, no one apparently thinks that is too busy.
Brighton Beach: https://i.ibb.co/vBbCynr/100323598-1.jpg - Also in Brighton & Hove, a large rowdy group of about 2000 decided to have a sudden party at Hove Lawns, safe to say it quickly got a bit violent and drugs started flying about.

Liverpool won the Premier Cup a few days ago, so their fans have also gone wild around the city of Liverpool, also ignoring social distancing ideals in their partying.

It's all going a bit to the dogs as people get bored and just go outside and do what they please with minimal thought for others, or even themselves.

Return to “Off-Topic”