Getting old

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nikolai-Newbie
Engineer
Engineer

Getting old

Post by Nikolai-Newbie »

I played original TTD for 20 years ago, in an christan school. They thought it was bad game, so I hidden it as a different filename and an different ending .txt. stupid ones when they deleted the game it was back shortly after lol.

Nevermind.

The suggestion.. With a small map the time moves on at an ok pace, even though still a bit fast. But with huge map it goes absolutely too fast. Can I slow it down? I am old now, use longer time...

And a miner thing at end, the new trains locomotive comes to close each others in year.

And another thing, when I generate huge map the very low cities in setup does not work, get a lot of them anyway...
Nikolai-Newbie
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Getting old

Post by Nikolai-Newbie »

And I think it is a bit strange that aircraft and trains gets futuristic, but ships is still old. In 2070 the ships are the same. They should be totally electrified and have a design that suites the year better. Helikopters too, and they dissapear without any replacements, so oilplatforms should been transformed to integrated train stations with bridges. Can build trainstations next to them with elevated grounds but that seems a bit unrealistic, must be something floating.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Welcome to the future :)

OpenTTD itself doesn't have any feature to make time run faster or slower other than the "fast forward" button. So, it can't slow time down. There are two options you may want to explore. The first is simply using the cheat menu to rewind the date. Doing so will allow you to retain everything you've built, it simply resets the game date and allows you to put off the future.

The second option is to use a patch pack that includes the Daylength patch feature. A patch pack is a version of OpenTTD that includes modifications (patches) to the source code. If you're proficient at C++ coding, you can find the patch yourself and apply it to the latest OpenTTD source code. Most people are not, so they opt for the patch pack. Currently the only actively maintained patch pack which includes it is the JGR Patch Pack. It is an excellent patch pack, but it contains many modifications to OpenTTD, some of which you may or may not like. It can be installed separately from your OpenTTD install.

As for vehicles, OpenTTD supports adding additional vehicles and other things via NewGRFs (new graphical resource files). You can use the in-game content server (known as BaNaNaS) to discover and automatically download many of them. Many of them are developed here through the forums, so you can read more about them. I myself also maintain an unofficial list of NewGRFs at https://wiki.openttd.org/NewGRF_List which give you direct links to many of these as well.
Nikolai-Newbie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nikolai-Newbie »

Think perhaps, ehh, its getting too advanced :-/ lol

The original was simplier... I try look into some of it. :-) Thank you.

Other things that is a suggestion is that * Bridges speedlimit from old wood to top speed is too close in price to buy. The difference is very little. And * Infrastructure maintenance is way too expensive. Does land making for making city grow better around trainstations and airports count? Roads do, as helping city grow around, but that is not much.... oldschool building, but have not allowed 90 degrees turns though, as double stations and depots...

I will look into what you wright. A programmer I aint, but if there is a easy little program to change things for help I will try it out.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

For bridges, you can look at some of the bridge NewGRFs that have been released. Prices may have been adjusted, but probably not speeds unless specifically addressed.

Infrastructure maintenance is calculated for anything you actually own or build. So if you build roads to extend a town, you'll own that as well and pay a maintenance cost.

You can download a BaseCost NewGRF to adjust the prices of just about anything - bridges and infrastructure maintenance included. You could also cheat a little and use another company to build road, just remember to delete road pieces that you need to add in-road stations. :)
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

I like this suggestion. I've got old.

I'm sure I made one similar to this several years ago, but from a different perspective. I'd like to slow game time down so that I can play a "full, long" game just in, say, the steam era, perhaps from 1930 to 1970. That is to say, the original game went from 1950 to 2050, which would have a certain amount of player activity (I call it a full, long game). I'd like to have that amount in a user specified range of years, in my example between 1930 and 1970.

The suggestion of rewinding time is a little crude. What I do is add $20 million at the start of the game, and use the pause button a lot for building. That of course is cheating.

Given many countries have a lockdown due to the Coronavirus, what better way for the devs to spend their time !
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Like kamnet suggested, use JGR's patch pack to make the game slower. The download for the patched version is near the bottom of the first post.

then you can set the 'daylength' setting to above 1 to slow the game down. a '2' means the game takes twice as long. I'm currently playing a game at daylength setting 13, one in-game year takes about 3 hours.

It does have some side-effects but they're not too bad. For example, one day takes about 30 seconds and timetabled vehicles wait until the next day before they start moving (even if the wait is 0). This can cause vehicles to spend quite a lot of time waiting, relatively.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Korenn wrote: 15 May 2020 11:29 then you can set the 'daylength' setting to above 1 to slow the game down. a '2' means the game takes twice as long. I'm currently playing a game at daylength setting 13, one in-game year takes about 3 hours.
In my personal games I set daylength to 35. :)
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Thanks for the reply.
I might have a go at the patch, but I really have got old. I started programming with FORTRAN IV, and before that I used a computer where you bootstrapped it using a paper tape reader.
I've been playing TT since the first original version came out - wasted more of my time on it than I care to admit, but it's great for unwinding, hence I might not try the patch if it requires effort, especially as now our lockdown is being reduced.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello old guys.
I'm so happy to find dinosaurus like me :)

Well, no, I did never program FORTRAN. I'm still young !!!

Personnally, I'm playing with JGR patchpack, but don't touch the daylength factor.
Instead of that, I set "build anything during pause" feature on.

And when I need to "slow down" the game, I just press the pause button, then I can build whatever I want taking all the time I want.

The rest of the time... I play with fast forwarding to get some money... I always play very early games (1836) and at this time, a train can spent more than 2 years to do a single trip, can't wait in normal speed mode...
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

With some trepidation I've downloaded and run the patch. I've only tried it for a few minutes and it does appear to do what I want, ie if under normal running it takes 20 games days to go between stations a and b, then I can change things so that it only takes 4 days.

However, my version of Acrobat Reader for a pdf wont read the readme files which, hopefully (very hopefully given my lengthy experience of dealing with programmers) , will explain all the modifications. Any assistance gratefully received.
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Would you believe the READMe can be read with Word? Dont know why it defaulted to Acrobat.

I'm trying the patch with daylength factor set to 5.

I've read parts of the relevant forum discussion - changing daylength obviously has "interesting" effects - but a lot of the discussion is a few years old now. Is there any reason change daylength wasn't included in the the main trunk - version 1.10 for example?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

sootynz wrote: 27 May 2020 10:42 I've read parts of the relevant forum discussion - changing daylength obviously has "interesting" effects - but a lot of the discussion is a few years old now. Is there any reason change daylength wasn't included in the the main trunk - version 1.10 for example?
Because it's not quite up to OpenTTD coding standards, and there's disagreement among the devs about how to resolve various issues with the patch.
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

I'm not asking about the complete patch, only the change daylength part (I dont like the polyline mode building rail, for example).

I've run the patch with two small games one with daylength 1 as normal, the other with daylength 5, everything else being equal, both starting from the same 256 sq map in 1938, low number of towns, etc. and finishing with the same transport network. As usual I "cheated" and gave myself $20 million to start.

Daylength 1 took till 1950 to finish, Dl 5 finished in 1943, with much lower total population but only a little smaller total revenue/company value. What I like about changing the daylength is that I think I could play my usual map size (512 x 512) entirely in the steam era. Also I play symmetric cargo dist. and I didnt get the overcrowding in the stations that often occurs, although I suspect that could happen later.

so, a plea for the daylength modification (only) to be programmed into trunk. Preferably before I get really old and kick the bucket.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

sure, you can wish that. but until someone actually steps up and does the work, it's not going to happen.

and it's not because nobody has tried, but everyone so far underestimated the amount of work to actually get it right.
Demeter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Demeter »

Please! This is one of the most important issues the game has. It is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too fast! I mean the pause build is mandatory and it is still too fast. I have read all about the issue so here is my idea. Add hours ticking the same rate as days now. Same ticking, same economy, and all. I believe that no serious adjustments must be done since its not the ticking to be slowed, just "rename" it to hours. Like this, you could enjoy all the train sets 24x longer! Please make it happen!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Eddi wrote: 02 Jun 2020 04:16 sure, you can wish that. but until someone actually steps up and does the work, it's not going to happen.

and it's not because nobody has tried, but everyone so far underestimated the amount of work to actually get it right.
Indeed. :)

In the meanwhile, JGR Patch Pack is "right enough" for the meanwhile, IMO.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”