Country Roads (NRT)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Country Roads (NRT)

Post by Korenn »

I have a feature request - could you put a cost multiplier parameter on the different roads? So we can make the dirt road more expensive than the forest road, but be slightly faster to compensate? together with the speed limit parameters it means you can use it for interesting gameplay decisions.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Korenn wrote: 07 May 2020 10:15 I have a feature request - could you put a cost multiplier parameter on the different roads? So we can make the dirt road more expensive than the forest road, but be slightly faster to compensate? together with the speed limit parameters it means you can use it for interesting gameplay decisions.
Thank you for your message! :)

Currently both "roads" have construction cost / maintenance cost of 2, which is super cheap compared to asphalt roads.

I can, however, reflect the higher speed limit for the dirt track by raising the cost to 3 or lower the cost for the mud track to 1, I guess :P Thanks for the report!

Ideally the cost would rise with the speed limit, but I don't think this is necessary for, basically off road tracks that don't really see much attention IRL
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Kruemelchen wrote: 07 May 2020 12:28
Korenn wrote: 07 May 2020 10:15 I have a feature request - could you put a cost multiplier parameter on the different roads? So we can make the dirt road more expensive than the forest road, but be slightly faster to compensate? together with the speed limit parameters it means you can use it for interesting gameplay decisions.
Thank you for your message! :)

Currently both "roads" have construction cost / maintenance cost of 2, which is super cheap compared to asphalt roads.

I can, however, reflect the higher speed limit for the dirt track by raising the cost to 3 or lower the cost for the mud track to 1, I guess :P Thanks for the report!

Ideally the cost would rise with the speed limit, but I don't think this is necessary for, basically off road tracks that don't really see much attention IRL
What I meant is that I would like to be able to fiddle with the cost of the different road types myself. That works really well with the control we have now over the speed limit (I could choose to flip the dirt or mud tracks around, if I wanted - or make them more expensive than roads for whatever reason)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Korenn wrote: 07 May 2020 12:51 What I meant is that I would like to be able to fiddle with the cost of the different road types myself. That works really well with the control we have now over the speed limit (I could choose to flip the dirt or mud tracks around, if I wanted - or make them more expensive than roads for whatever reason)
I see where you are heading. I am fond of the freedom to play how you like it, myself.

However, I've never seen road type sets or rail type sets let players decide about the cost freely ?(

The tracks of this set are meant to be cheap, so it makes up for the reduced speed limit and the limitation of usable vehicles.
i.e. the vehicles of my SUV set have a hard coded max speed on off road tracks, so that adds to the limitations

I can add some good and balanced presets for the cost, but I don't want to burden regular players with the fiddling of finding 'right' values as basically all raw cost values are hidden from the player...

It is, however, trivial to change the code and recompile the GRF for your own need ;)
I'll PM you if you need any assistance for that!
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I don't need it so badly that I'll compile it myself. Plus that won't work with the dedicated server I play on because others would have to install it manually too.
I was just requesting a feature that I would consider useful (it's not unique, Maglev track set has its own cost multipliers), and fits with the existing option to set speed.

But 'no' is a perfectly valid answer ;)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Korenn wrote: 07 May 2020 17:39 I was just requesting a feature that I would consider useful (it's not unique, Maglev track set has its own cost multipliers), and fits with the existing option to set speed.
I'm glad you asked for this feature :wink:
I'll add cost multiplier ( i.e. cheap, normal, expensive) for country roads and water way in the next version :idea:

concerning my water way GRF, I'm planning to add some new boats from time to time :)
sailing ketch added.png
sailing ketch added.png (19.79 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
Here one can see a new small ketch
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kruemelchen wrote: 08 May 2020 17:55
Korenn wrote: 07 May 2020 17:39 I was just requesting a feature that I would consider useful (it's not unique, Maglev track set has its own cost multipliers), and fits with the existing option to set speed.
I'm glad you asked for this feature :wink:
I'll add cost multiplier ( i.e. cheap, normal, expensive) for country roads and water way in the next version :idea:

concerning my water way GRF, I'm planning to add some new boats from time to time :)
sailing ketch added.png
Here one can see a new small ketch
Would you also consider coding these for a small ship set to match? These would look equally nice on OpenTTD rivers and lakes, even if you have to build ridiculous-looking docks on the rivers.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

kamnet wrote: 08 May 2020 19:35 Would you also consider coding these for a small ship set to match? These would look equally nice on OpenTTD rivers and lakes, even if you have to build ridiculous-looking docks on the rivers.
I already experimented with that! So the basic code is there :)
I can add them via parameter, too, though I think it would be best to separate the waterway GRF into a road type GRF and a GRF with the boats, which then has a parameter to enable ships.

PS: I took the 'ship' code out before release, however, as the small boats look dangerously lost on the ocean :lol:
ship compare.png
ship compare.png (20.74 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I think that would work out great! Or just put them all into SUV.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

I've added Country Roads and Waterways to the GPL Roadtype Collection, Pt. 3 in such a way that it will not conflict with other roadsets. I've given full credits to Kruemelchen, since I just updated the code.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

Kruemelchen wrote: 08 May 2020 22:09
kamnet wrote: 08 May 2020 19:35 Would you also consider coding these for a small ship set to match? These would look equally nice on OpenTTD rivers and lakes, even if you have to build ridiculous-looking docks on the rivers.
I already experimented with that! So the basic code is there :)
I can add them via parameter, too, though I think it would be best to separate the waterway GRF into a road type GRF and a GRF with the boats, which then has a parameter to enable ships.

PS: I took the 'ship' code out before release, however, as the small boats look dangerously lost on the ocean :lol:
ship compare.png
Where can I find that gorgeous sail boat? (Water Way 0.3 doesn't have that one)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

GuilhermeJK wrote: 14 Jun 2020 15:21 Where can I find that gorgeous sail boat? (Water Way 0.3 doesn't have that one)
It isn't quite finished for release yet, as I have to edit some vehicle sounds for the sailing boats, but couldn't find the time to do it yet. RL is pretty busy.

I'll push it to bananas once it's ready :)

PS: There'll be historic sailing boats too ;)
ketches.png
ketches.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

They're lovely :D
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

GuilhermeJK wrote: 25 Jun 2020 22:38 They're lovely :D
Thank you :)

Update is pushed to bananas ;)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

A little teaser of what experimental means come next for travelling the waterways :wink:
Advertisement note wrote:
all means of pulling a boat.png
all means of pulling a boat.png (17.84 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
You'll be able to afford pulling (aka towing) help by humans, mules, (various) horses and electric or diesel powered locomotives for your shipping vessels, only at the ease of a refitting option!
This helps to heave heavy load uphill or just to be faster than your fastest unpulled vessel!
Spend the penny and save your shipping efficiency!
Out soon(tm)
* Disclaimer: we do not support slavery and discourage any customer to hire the unfortunate for towing labour
** refund rate is set 50 per cent, so think first buy second
*** we can only support vessels build after the introduction of our pulling means

Return to “Graphics Development”