[NewGRF] Soviet Bus Stops set + [Feature] Multiple stops graphics + [Feature] One-side stops

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

[NewGRF] Soviet Bus Stops set + [Feature] Multiple stops graphics + [Feature] One-side stops

Post by LaChupacabra »

Intrigued by kamnet's words from another topic about the fact that currently there is no way that bus stops can use multiple graphics ...
kamnet wrote: 04 May 2020 04:40 OpenTTD does not possess the ability to have multiple styles of docks or bus stations...
... I was supposed to write that it is not necessary at all, because in most cases they will not be much different. Then something touched me to look at various stop projects and I was reminded of an article on some portal about stops built in the far east during the Soviet Union times. And ... I have to admit that with these stops it could be quite an interesting set. ;)

The topic is so rich that even an album of 192 pages with these stops by Christopher Herwig was created.

I have included some of them in the collage below.
Soviet Bus Stops (mini).jpg
Soviet Bus Stops (mini).jpg (95.76 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Soviet Bus Stops.jpg
(601.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Some of the stops because of their size could rather be created only as objects, but adding others stops as graphics themselves would be the best solution. Of course, if the option of choosing graphics will be added.
Last edited by LaChupacabra on 03 Jun 2020 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [NewGRF] Soviet Bus Stops set

Post by Redirect Left »

Interesting idea, I hope you get far with it.
I've always thought it a bit odd that they all look alike, after all, at least where I am, the stops change city to city, some favour sheltered stops, and some you're left out in the rain sort of thing.
Soviet era sutff has always been interesting to me, so i'm definitely looking forward to it!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Why not make a mostly empty bus-stop tile for the game, and have a set of newobject tiles with all the fancy buildings that the user can place right next to the bus-stop tile?
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Alberth wrote: 30 May 2020 06:39 Why not make a mostly empty bus-stop tile for the game, and have a set of newobject tiles with all the fancy buildings that the user can place right next to the bus-stop tile?
I may or may not have suggested such a thing several years ago in my own discussion topic. But this would be a great way to go.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Alberth wrote: 30 May 2020 06:39 Why not make a mostly empty bus-stop tile for the game, and have a set of newobject tiles with all the fancy buildings that the user can place right next to the bus-stop tile?
kamnet wrote: 02 Jun 2020 04:29 I may or may not have suggested such a thing several years ago in my own discussion topic. But this would be a great way to go.
Adding different stop graphics by placing objects would be the simplest solution, although it would have several significant shortcomings:
1. To make stops visible (empty tile), you would have to add an object each time you built the stop - it would be tedious
2. To build a stop in city, you would have to remove an adjacent building each time - it wouldn't look good
3. In the case of large stations, placing any object near stops may not be possible, certainly not at every station - in many cases it would be impossible to add graphics
4. Such a construction method would not be suitable for online games - not everyone will want to focus on the appearance of each stop.

Rather, I was thinking about this method of adding new graphics ...
And yet another one, with flat, maybe less intrusive layout

I don't know how time-consuming and difficult it would be to add such a function. This doen't seem to me the most pressing need, but if someone wanted to take care of it, this is my suggestion.

In addition to choosing graphics, it would be useful (sometimes very) to choose a stop side. In addition to selecting the side in the window, it would be possible to select in a similar way as in the case of signaling.
Attachments
New windows for bus and lorry stops construction v1.2 & v2.2.png
(68.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
New windows for bus and lorry stops construction v3.1b flat.png
New windows for bus and lorry stops construction v3.1b flat.png (35.97 KiB) Viewed 447 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [NewGRF] Soviet Bus Stops set + [Feature] Multiple stops graphics + [Feature] One-side stops

Post by 2TallTyler »

There's a NewGRF road stops feature in development on the OpenTTD GitHub.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”