OpenGFX+ Stations

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

OpenGFX+ Stations

Post by Erato »

OpenGFX+ Stations
The stations in OpenGFX have always been lacking. The double platforms are extremely unrealistic, and being limited to what the basegame gives is a bit of a shame, so I made a newgrf that gives you the freedom to do whatever you want. Want Maglev stations on monorail? Sure, why not. Everything is possible

Credits:
Coding: Erato
Graphics:
- Crew behind OpenGFX

Download:
OpenGFXplusStations - 1.0.grf
(108.56 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Also available on BaNaNaS

Changelog:
1.0 (01-05-2020):
Initial Release

License:
GPL v2+
[+] Spoiler
Do whatever, just use GPL v2+ when you use this stuff.
Attachments
Source OpenGFXplusStations 1.0.rar
(44.73 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: OpenGFX+ Stations

Post by LaChupacabra »

Very nice, not overloaded set, which has always been missing. Well done! Thanks Erato

If you let me, I would have some suggestions:

1. Buffers for end stations
It could be as station fields, or as in CHIPS stations, where it would appear itself at the end of the station, where there are no further tracks.
OpenGFX+Stations+Buffers.png
OpenGFX+Stations+Buffers.png (96.37 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
2. Passengers at the station
Although I'm not a great eyecand player, this is a detail that definitely makes the game more enjoyable. Passengers are displayed at Japanese and Kiwitree stations (I don't know others). Especially in the case of Japanese it is interestingly done, where passengers "move" around the station. In Kiwitree, on the other hand, graphics are better suited to the number of waiting passengers - at the station you can already see a dozen or so passengers, you can also see when it expects 1000 and when 5000 passengers.

3. Set OpenGFX + on the station list to replace the original ones.
These stations are no different, so they could (?) replace the default.

4. Small roofs facing the other way
OpenGFX+Stations+SmallShelter.png
OpenGFX+Stations+SmallShelter.png (36.86 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Thank you, Erato. I hope your work finally makes recycling graphics more acceptable (provided the coding provides something new), because without it stuff like this is impossible.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Really appreciate this set - was something I'd been hoping to see for literally years, and even had a few false starts at sprite kitbashing!

Of course the Base set stations are very simple and an OpenGFX+ set should be a simple grf too, but the single sided platforms really showcase how odd the various shed structures are, particularly the supports for the Maglev roofs look very underwhelming when they are just directly on the grass without any base. The wide open sides also look kind of odd on the edge of a platform
Station.PNG
(1.23 MiB) Not downloaded yet
I feel a short foundation / pony wall where the roof structure meets the ground would go a long way towards helping these feel more substantial rather than floating - could be drawn as a slice of grey platform edge, bricks filling in the bottom of the arches, or just grey footings at the bottom of each column. Are you just referencing sprites straight from the base set, or did you chop these up at all? I'm happy to pitch in with a bit of pixel art / architectural perspective!
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

LaChupacabra wrote: Passengers [on station tiles] are displayed at Japanese and Kiwitree stations (I don't know others).
Just for the record, "passengers on station tiles" is a feature derived from NewStations first implemented in v0.4 (march/april 2005).
LaChupacabra wrote: Especially in the case of Japanese it is interestingly done, where passengers "move" around the station.
In Kiwitree, on the other hand, graphics are better suited to the number of waiting passengers - at the station you can already see a dozen or so passengers, you can also see when it expects 1000 and when 5000 passengers.
Again, both features, passengers "moving around" and  showing "amounts of passengers", had already been in NewStations v0.4.

regards
Michael
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

supermop wrote: 11 May 2020 18:14Are you just referencing sprites straight from the base set, or did you chop these up at all?
I chopped them up from the spriteset on the openttdcoop website. I did some minor editing to make the island platforms work for instance, but that's it.
LaChupacabra wrote: 01 May 2020 14:02 Very nice, not overloaded set, which has always been missing. Well done! Thanks Erato

If you let me, I would have some suggestions:
1,2,4 I have no intentions to make any original sprites for this.
3 Can't really, and even if I could I have no reason to.
michael blunck wrote: 13 May 2020 06:21Just for the record, "passengers on station tiles" is a feature derived from NewStations first implemented in v0.4 (march/april 2005).
Falsehood aside, and just for the record, they did it better.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

How accessible is the 'automatic' layout shown by the default stations - whereby a 5 tile or longer station places the roof only over the center section and leaves the platform ends exposed? Would it be possible to apply this behavior to the island or side roofed platforms as shown:
Attachments
Fackslätt Transport, 1986-01-23.png
(2.26 MiB) Not downloaded yet
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

For what it's worth, I made some modifications to the sprites to give the side walls / columns a foundation so they look better when sitting on grass in non-platform configurations. I also made the Maglev roof a bit more substantial in structure, and improved CC elements on Monorail and maglev:
Platforms Revised.png
Platforms Revised.png (87.07 KiB) Viewed 3499 times

Return to “Graphics Releases”