2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Re: 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by kamnet »

I had two brothers to entertain myself with, and we all got along really well. The only thing I probably wouldn't be doing is reading, as I was an avid reader and would regularly check out the maximum of 10 books from the library at a time. I also had a telescope, and would be engaged in stargazing.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My entire team at work, other than myself and one other person who's going down to 50% time, has been furloughed. I've been kept on as somebody needs to respond to clients, etc, and keep things ticking on. It's a somewhat surreal feeling, and I expect it'll be quite a lonely few months, work-wise. (Of course, I am very fortunate to still be working and getting full pay, at least at the moment, and I know many people will be finding this much more challenging.)
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

GarryG wrote: 04 Apr 2020 12:45 If this virus happened back in the 1970s and 80s? And had these lockdowns. What would you be doing to amuse yourself?
I did read a lot those years.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

orudge wrote: 07 Apr 2020 08:27 My entire team at work, other than myself and one other person who's going down to 50% time, has been furloughed. I've been kept on as somebody needs to respond to clients, etc, and keep things ticking on. It's a somewhat surreal feeling, and I expect it'll be quite a lonely few months, work-wise. (Of course, I am very fortunate to still be working and getting full pay, at least at the moment, and I know many people will be finding this much more challenging.)
Somehow, my workplace is thriving more than ever. We work in e-commerce and offer a very low price point (in other words, we sell junk that just pollutes the Earth), and people seem to want those things more than ever now they are all sat at home.

We did connect the Swedish hospitals with merchants who sell items such as CPAPs, face masks, and hand sanitizer, and they ended up placing an order with our contact so that was nice. No profit for us, other than the fact fewer people end up dying. That's nice.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

A little over a month ago I filed for unemployment, as one company hadn't used me for 3 weeks, and another for 2 weeks and had notified me that all future work was cancelled. Yesterday I was approved for unemployment, and this morning the 2nd company called me to officially notify me that I was furloughed so that I could apply for unemployment benefits. I was way ahead of the curve. Some people are going to be waiting 6-8 weeks to get approved.

I've started to do some work for a salesperson who works for a wireless Internet provider. 100% commission, but if I can make 3-4 sales a day I'm doing pretty well. Unfortunately FB suspended me because it's stupid AI went out of control and flagged me as a spammer. I'm out of FB jail tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting back to work. Right now we're trying to hook up families whose kids are at home, they all get 1 month of service free, after that families who are on government subsidies qualify for $15/mo plan. A lot of families out there don't get DSL, cable or fiber and don't know that wireless is often available in their area, so hopefully we'll get some people covered.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I lucky in some ways as on a Disability Pension so got guarantee income.

Bad thing I can not get home. I visiting friends in Philippines since end October last year. Suppose to gone home 23rd march but all planes cancelled due to the lockdown till 14th April. Changed booking to 21st April and found out yesterday lockdown extended to April 30. So going to get interesting as my Visa to stay here expires April 29. If I stay longer I have to get what they call a clearance certificate .. it to show that I haven't broken the law while here. (I think just another gimmick to get money from people as police records would be on Customers computers anyway). Problem is the City I in does not provide that certificate. Have to do a 3 hours bus ride to another city to get it a week before I due to fly back to Australia. So looks like I stuck here till at least end of May. And trip home from time I walk out the door where I staying till I walk in the door where I live in Australia would take around 30 hours. (That is 1 plane ride for 90 minutes another plane ride for just under 8 hours, a train ride for 2 1/2 hours .. the rest is waiting time). When I get back to Sydney and before I can do my train ride I will be placed in quarantine for 14 days to make sure I still insane.

Funny thing in Australia .. they asking people to stay at home .. yet they gave many people a $250 gift card to purchase petrol for vehicles or pay for public transport. :roll:
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I'm so ashamed of the United States at the moment. We're leading in cases by a mile because people would rather trust their own instincts than science. These, of course, are the same people who believe that somehow fossil fuel tycoons and the politicians paid by them are the ones with the truth on global warming instead of those whose careers consist of studying the natural world.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

This image been on FB in Australia .. maybe seen it there too.

Worse part being in another country we can only go on what the media tells us and often it not the truth or it is a stretched truth.
Attachments
5014205336886706176_n.jpg
5014205336886706176_n.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Soot Happens
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Oh don't get me started on him. Actually don't though, I would derail the topic entirely.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

To get back on topic!

Swedish domestic airline traffic. They are not doing well. So far in April, passengers numbers are down 97%. That is... a lot. Most airports currently report 0 passengers per day. Only the very large airports in major cities have any passengers whatsoever, and most are international travellers. Why would anyone fly international right now?
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 09 Apr 2020 08:39 To get back on topic!

Swedish domestic airline traffic. They are not doing well. So far in April, passengers numbers are down 97%. That is... a lot. Most airports currently report 0 passengers per day. Only the very large airports in major cities have any passengers whatsoever, and most are international travellers. Why would anyone fly international right now?
The situation in the UK is similar, although i think not quite that high in % numbers. A few airline company have said they'll need government backing to not sink, it's been suggested that rail companies may also suffer the same fate. I don't think the Government has decided either way in regards to helping out these firms. The other obvious ones at risk are things like travel agencies and bus companies.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Still, they at least have some costumers. And they are big companies which quite frankly maybe should have put some money aside for Bad Times(tm) ^^ I'm more concerned for the millions of small businesses everywhere that have basically no chance to survive without government support. There's few that still have any sort of business and many certainly can't afford closing down for a month, never mind two or more.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 09 Apr 2020 14:33A few airline company have said they'll need government backing to not sink, it's been suggested that rail companies may also suffer the same fate. I don't think the Government has decided either way in regards to helping out these firms. The other obvious ones at risk are things like travel agencies and bus companies.
It's the perfect opportunity to re-nationalise your railways. Seize the means of production! (or in this case, the means of transportation)
My Scenarios:
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Is it over yet, can I come out of my hiding spot? :mrgreen:

Even as an introvert, I'm bored outta my brains with isolation. How I don't know as it's more or less the same as most days off I have in normal circumstances.

Do have a housemate though and we've had many grand and wonderful rants about the government and people. Good times.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Before we couldn't get the kids to come out of their rooms as busy playing on their computers and phones .. and now they allowed to stay in their rooms and play on their computers and phones and they want to go out.
Soot Happens
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I'm perfectly fine inside for quite a while, thank you very much. But with no work to distract my girlfriend and I, we're finding ourselves running out of creative things to cook with rice and cheese.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I've not been bored, pretty much doing the same stuff I do every day minus working. I have found a small part-time gig to help with that. I think this has been worse on my kids who have lost the social aspects of high school and college.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Guess there be a baby boom in 9 months time :D
Soot Happens
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

GarryG wrote: 19 Apr 2020 00:43 Guess there be a baby boom in 9 months time :D
Not in this house! LOL. I've made my contributions to mankind.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Zakos wrote: 15 Mar 2020 07:39 Certainly hope they can pay it. Either way, I'm still stuck on the toilet paper thing. You don't even need that much.
With all that new money injected into the economy one gets inflation ... lots of it.
Before too long one sheet of toilet paper becomes worth more than money.
Toilet paper is not a hoard. It's an investment.
:mrgreen:

Return to “Off-Topic”