Hide all GUI elements

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kubap
Engineer
Engineer

Hide all GUI elements

Post by kubap »

Apologies if this has already been suggested somewhere; a search through didn't come up with any results.

I would like to suggest the ability to completely hide all gui elements. At the moment you can hide station signs/city names/etc but for instance there is no option to hide the profit/transfer labels which pop up when a vehicle unloads. There is also no option to completely hide the top and bottom gui bars, which limits the available space when for example you want to do a screen recording without showing the ui.

This could be an option which can be toggled using one of the F keys, such as f12 for example.

Whilst I am not familiar with the openttd codebase or projects of this scale, I imagine something like this shouldn't be too difficult to implement. If there already is code to hide vehicle load percentage labels, then surely hiding the transfer/profit labels also should be similar to implement.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Hide all GUI elements

Post by planetmaker »

But... without GUI you can hardly play the game :) You will be lucky to remember the shortcut to quit and you will be left helpless, if you hit such key to hide everything by accident. And that WILL happen, probably much more often than used intentionally.

I see the point for further options to hide e.g. the income animation. And it could be feasible to hide the GUI for all but one button which then allows to show the menu again.
kubap
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kubap »

I was just thinking that for the specific case of wanting to record a real-time timelapse, in fullscreen to capture the full resolution, the ability to hide all the ui would be useful. Maybe the ability to do this would be behind a toggle in the options to avoid any less experienced people from accidentally hiding everything?

At the very least, I would really appreciate the ability to hide the income/profit label; then i could record a smaller area of the screen without any gui elements visible at all.

Thanks
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

So you want a kind of "cinematic mode"

we have some preliminary code for this, but it is only used in the title screen, where certain things are hidden
kubap
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kubap »

Yeah exactly. If this could be a toggle-able feature in the game it would be amazing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”