Functional Content 2020

Discuss the new AI features ("NoAI") introduced into OpenTTD 0.7, allowing you to implement custom AIs, and the new Game Scripts available in OpenTTD 1.2 and higher.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Functional Content 2020

Post by DeletedUser18 »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I've played OPENTTD in its basic version with a few AIs for a long time, and browsing YouTube I have seen videos about the game that completely change everything, but those videos are somewhat old so I don't know exactly if the content has been updated or is no longer working, :?: I would like to know that modifications or extra content continue to work, taking into account the entire game such as the industry, vehicles, buildings, etc. :o
I would like some veteran transport magnate :bow: to recommend some modification and if possible provide me with a link. Thank you for your attention and understanding. :D
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Functional Content 2020

Post by jfs »

Lots of work is put into making sure add-on content remains compatible and no changes, or as little as possible. Some graphics sets from before 2012 might not work exactly as intended (visually) but that should really be it, otherwise everything should work.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If it is a NewGRF, it should still work today.

If it was a patch, you'll have to be very specific about which one. Patches are individually compiled against specific versions of the game (typically whatever was the most recently nightly/development version at the time the patch was published). Those patches may or may not have been updated as time goes on, or they may have been eventually added to the core game. Chances are that any one particular patch has not been updated, as time goes on most end up being abandoned by their authors.

If it was a patch pack, as of 2020 currently there is only the JGR Patch Pack and CityMania client which are being updated. Neither existed in 2012. All other patch packs are going to be based off of outdated versions of OpenTTD.

If it was an AI or GameScript, you're going to have to be specific about those as well. Many AI/GS have been kept up to date by their authors, but you're probably going to need the latest version.
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser18 »

Thank you :bow: , Mr. Moderator, for your response, I have seen that they have a page on NewGRF, but I would like to know which are the most popular because there is an infinite amount of content. As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
NewGRFs modify a lot of the game, so I'll see which ones are good to download, thanks for your reply.
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Re: jfs Functional Content 2020

Post by DeletedUser18 »

Well, thanks for the information jfs :D , some good content that you recommend. :idea:
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser18 »

kamnet wrote: 20 Mar 2020 15:46 If it is a NewGRF, it should still work today.

If it was a patch, you'll have to be very specific about which one. Patches are individually compiled against specific versions of the game (typically whatever was the most recently nightly/development version at the time the patch was published). Those patches may or may not have been updated as time goes on, or they may have been eventually added to the core game. Chances are that any one particular patch has not been updated, as time goes on most end up being abandoned by their authors.

If it was a patch pack, as of 2020 currently there is only the JGR Patch Pack and CityMania client which are being updated. Neither existed in 2012. All other patch packs are going to be based off of outdated versions of OpenTTD.

If it was an AI or GameScript, you're going to have to be specific about those as well. Many AI/GS have been kept up to date by their authors, but you're probably going to need the latest version.
Thank you :bow: , Mr. Moderator, for your response, I have seen that they have a page on NewGRF, but I would like to know which are the most popular because there is an infinite amount of content. As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
NewGRFs modify a lot of the game, so I'll see which ones are good to download, thanks for your reply.
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser18 »

jfs wrote: 20 Mar 2020 07:37 Lots of work is put into making sure add-on content remains compatible and no changes, or as little as possible. Some graphics sets from before 2012 might not work exactly as intended (visually) but that should really be it, otherwise everything should work.
Well, thanks for the information jfs :D , some good content that you recommend. :idea:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

CundoSoilder13 wrote: 21 Mar 2020 02:19 Thank you :bow: , Mr. Moderator, for your response, I have seen that they have a page on NewGRF, but I would like to know which are the most popular because there is an infinite amount of content. As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
There is no easy way to say what is most popular. If you checked only by what has been downloaded, then the oldest NewGRFs are going to have the most downloads. Also newer versions of NewGRFs may not have as many downloads because people are still using older versions that work fine. I actually set up the NewGRF List on the OpenTTD wiki so that people could find the links to the various NewGRFs being developed, and go to those pages and read more about them and decide if they want to use them.

We have a section here on the forums for AIs and GameScripts, where you can also read more about each one and decide if you want to try it out.

Much of OpenTTD is about experimentation. There is no wrong way to play the game. Part of the fun is exploring not only what the game offers, but the enhancements that other people have also brought.
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser18 »

kamnet wrote: 21 Mar 2020 03:48
CundoSoilder13 wrote: 21 Mar 2020 02:19 Thank you :bow: , Mr. Moderator, for your response, I have seen that they have a page on NewGRF, but I would like to know which are the most popular because there is an infinite amount of content. As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
There is no easy way to say what is most popular. If you checked only by what has been downloaded, then the oldest NewGRFs are going to have the most downloads. Also newer versions of NewGRFs may not have as many downloads because people are still using older versions that work fine. I actually set up the NewGRF List on the OpenTTD wiki so that people could find the links to the various NewGRFs being developed, and go to those pages and read more about them and decide if they want to use them.

We have a section here on the forums for AIs and GameScripts, where you can also read more about each one and decide if you want to try it out.

Much of OpenTTD is about experimentation. There is no wrong way to play the game. Part of the fun is exploring not only what the game offers, but the enhancements that other people have also brought.
Thank you very much for the information, I will see the OPENTTD Wiki to see what content is interesting and about AI I will see the forum to see which ones are best suited to my style of play.
Wormnest
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wormnest »

CundoSoilder13 wrote: 21 Mar 2020 02:19 As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
There is this page on the wiki that has a comparison of AI's: https://wiki.openttd.org/Comparison_of_AIs.
Under the performance heading there is a listing of forum topics that compare the performance of AI's under different circumstances.
DeletedUser18
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser18 »

Wormnest wrote: 22 Mar 2020 20:35
CundoSoilder13 wrote: 21 Mar 2020 02:19 As for AI, I have not seen a page that contains AI, only in the downloadable content of the game, and I have tried only about two at most and one of them broke :!: while playing so time passed and that company went bankrupt because nobody operated it, I would also like to know what the More popular. :wink:
There is this page on the wiki that has a comparison of AI's: https://wiki.openttd.org/Comparison_of_AIs.
Under the performance heading there is a listing of forum topics that compare the performance of AI's under different circumstances.
Thank you, for the information on AI, I will see which is more convenient for me. :D

Return to “OpenTTD AIs and Game Scripts”