2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic

Post by rbos86 »

Zakos wrote: 16 Mar 2020 17:42
rbos86 wrote: 16 Mar 2020 04:10 The coffeeshops and bars and restaurants are closed in the Netherlands...
Where do I buy my weed now?
If you can make it to downtown Chicago, I know a guy.

Anyway, seems as good a time as any to play CS games for 2 weeks while my restaurant is closed.
Chicago, sounds attractive. But shops are open again. They only sell, you can't sit there anymore to smoke... But I'm happy enough.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Seems remote working is getting difficult... online meetings start to fail as their infrastructure becomes overburdened by the current usage.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

The rail industries response to the Pandemic in the UK has been one of the most disgusting things in my opinion.

I get the industry is trying to run a service as normal, but forcing passengers into a corner is not right. I have booked advance tickets with multiple TOCs for the upcoming period, which I booked during a time when cases of the Virus in the country were merely those associated with isolated incidents, and as such, also quite low. I as a consumer had no way of predicting the significant rate of growth of the outbreak, nor knowing what Government advice would be by the time of my travel date. If I had known how rapidly the situation across Europe would deteriorate, I certainly would not have booked.

Now, Government advice is to stay at home, fair enough, I accept that, I generally work from home and so I can do that. However, advice for my advance purchase tickets (and my hotel that I booked back in December, just as the outbreak was starting in China)? "Oh, you can rebook, but you can't cancel and get a refund!". I don't need to rebook, I need to cancel. I have no use for these journey's away from this one instance, with the event I was going to be attending now cancelled. As such, many people are now being put into a difficult situation where they have 2 options:
1) Lose out on the value of your tickets, as you don't need to rebook.
2) Travel anyway, against government advice, so as to make use of your tickets per your original plan, even if finding something else to do away from your original plan.

Option 2 puts myself, and others, at significant risk of being exposed to the virus, or spreading it if we already have it without knowing, whilst Option 1 is a financial loss in the hundreds of pounds, which many people cannot afford.

This is just a very specific example of how poorly the virus has been managed within this country, and more a rant on my end, the only TOC with any sense is LNER, who are offering "TOC credit" for up to a year. But the question I pose to the other TOCs is this: Can you tell me when the Pandemic will end in the UK, so that, if I were to want to rebook, I can rebook to a virus free day? Like f*** you can! As such, offer people a proper refund, no matter the restrictions of ticket at time of purchase due to the unprecedented nature of this situation.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote: 18 Mar 2020 15:32 ...
I'm thankful for my upcoming trip to London i booked with LNER. For the current period they're waiving the £10 administration fee, and even if you did advance tickets which are usually non refundable, they'll give you the value of the ticket(s) back to your account so in the future, you can still use the money to buy more useful tickets. I'm surprised that hasn't been picked up nationwide for all TOCs to be honest!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Pilot wrote: 18 Mar 2020 15:32 The rail industries response to the Pandemic in the UK has been one of the most disgusting things in my opinion.(...)
I agree, it's a bad situation.

Their problem is: they didn't forsee the situation either and the companies see themselves between a rock and a hard place: they also have ongoing costs, including the salary of all their employees. The economy will take a very serious dent, and offering general refund might simply not work for many companies. It's somewhat cost-neutral to offer a voucher for later usage, so that would be fair given the situation (even when they are not required to do so).

Myself I also had to pay 80% of the room rent for a hotel booked in advance where I couldn't show up due to travel restrictions...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

planetmaker wrote: 19 Mar 2020 03:52 Their problem is: they didn't forsee the situation either and the companies see themselves between a rock and a hard place: they also have ongoing costs, including the salary of all their employees. The economy will take a very serious dent, and offering general refund might simply not work for many companies. It's somewhat cost-neutral to offer a voucher for later usage, so that would be fair given the situation (even when they are not required to do so).
There is, however, a significant difference between the majority of passenger rail operators in the UK and a normal private company. With the exception of a small handful of companies, the railways are run under direct contract (a franchise) from the Government, and thus, are ultimately backed up by the Government. The Government have the ability to bail these out, or take them in house if they are taking significant losses from the pandemic.

I personally don't have the same "luxury", for want of a better word.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Here in Ozamiz City Philipines. All shops are open.

There are no reports of anyone here having the "Coronavirus.

They have road blocks on all roads to and from the city. Entry to the city limited only those who live or work here and trucks with essential supplies.

People from other cities and town not allowed entry. This is to make sure essential supplies are only available to those who live here and no one will enter the city with the Virus.

They have also curfew where all shops must close by 9 pm and every one to be home and off the streets between 10 pm and 5 am.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Exams are getting postponed.
People are hoarding up basic essentials.
Buses and trains are not as easily available as they used to.
I am under house arrest :D .
Nothing to put here!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

We have an executive order now which states that non-essential businesses can't stay open, but my boss has no idea. For reference, it's a restaurant, not a grocery store.

I asked him if he still needed me on my scheduled days after the order was sent out and he just said "yeah, unless you want Jayson to cover you."

I think it'd be funnier not to tell him.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Zakos wrote: 22 Mar 2020 08:05 We have an executive order now which states that non-essential businesses can't stay open, but my boss has no idea. For reference, it's a restaurant, not a grocery store.
We do have to eat so I see no reason restaurants and cafes can't stay open as not much difference to all those who go into a grocery shop. Just not allow over crowding and space the tables a bit further apart for those who stay and eat there.

I in Philippines where I staying all shops allowed to stay open. Just the location it self is in Lockdown. Security at all doors and the officer there will squirt sanitizer on your hands so to kill the germs you might be carrying. No one allowed in or out of the city. Have a curfew between 10 pm and 5 am when no one allowed out.

Australia fast foods only serve drive through customers. Pity those who don't have a car.
Soot Happens
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

GarryG wrote: 22 Mar 2020 08:41 Australia fast foods only serve drive through customers. Pity those who don't have a car.
Surely there are delivery apps to cover for that?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Oh my you younger generation why do you rely on fast food / take away's .I had a burger from one of them over hyped junk food establishments ,was the worst experience of my 58 years .Get some proper home cooked food into your body , and if you don't already know the best cure for bugs is heaps vitamins and fresh air .
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

ok boomer.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

How do I upvote on this forum? Oh this isn't Reddit.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

GarryG wrote: 22 Mar 2020 08:41 We do have to eat so I see no reason restaurants and cafes can't stay open as not much difference to all those who go into a grocery shop. Just not allow over crowding and space the tables a bit further apart for those who stay and eat there.
(...)
Australia fast foods only serve drive through customers. Pity those who don't have a car.
The difference between shop and restaurant: I go shopping for food once a week. But I do eat daily several times. The important factor is to minimize exposure risk. And risk is about proportional to amount of people (or people squared?) as well as duration.

As such restaurants are ordered closed here, too except for take-away and drive-through. You may not eat in the vicinity of take-aways (>50m).
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Chrill wrote: 22 Mar 2020 13:46 Surely there are delivery apps to cover for that?
Not sure if they deliver. Just that with only drive thru working at many places the long distance truckies got no where to stop to have a feed as for some strange reason they not allow the truck driver to use the drive thru.
piratescooby wrote: 22 Mar 2020 14:34 Oh my you younger generation why do you rely on fast food / take away's
Thank you .. appreciate being called younger. I 65 so how old must you be? Fast foods and eat at a restaurant is a once a fortnight on pension day thing for me.
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

This may or may not help all, but seen a notice from the Prince of Wales Hospital.

Virus Detection:

The simplest way to distinguish Coronavirus from a Common Cold is that the COVID-19 infection does not cause a cold nose or cough with cold, but it does create a dry and rough cough.
The virus is typically first installed in the throat causing inflammation and a feeling of dryness. This symptom can last between 3 and 4 days.
The virus typically then travels through the moisture present in the airways, goes down to the trachea and installs in the lungs, causing pneumonia that lasts about 5 or 6 days.
Pneumonia manifests with a high fever and difficulty breathing. The Common Cold is not accompanied, but there may be a choking sensation. In this case, the doctor should be called immediately.

Experts suggest doing this simple verification every morning: Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 10 seconds. If this can be done without coughing, without difficulty, this shows that there is no fibrosis in the lungs, indicating the absence of infection. It is recommended to do this control every morning to help detect infection.

Prevention:
The virus hates heat and dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F (27°C). Therefore hot drinks such as infusions, broths or simply hot water should be consumed abundantly during the day. These hot liquids kill the virus and are easy to ingest.
Avoid drinking ice water or drinks with ice cubes.

Ensure that your mouth and throat are always wet, never DRY. You should drink a sip of water at least every 15 minutes. WHY? Even when the virus enters water or other liquids through the mouth, it will get flushed through the oesophagus directly into the stomach where gastric acids destroy the virus.
When the virus is on hard surfaces, it survives about 12 hours, therefore when hard surfaces such as doors, appliances, railings, etc. are touched, hands should be washed thoroughly and/or disinfected with alcoholic gel The virus can live nested in clothes and tissues between 6 and 12 hours. Common detergents can kill it. Things that cannot be washed should be exposed to the Sun and the virus will die.

The virus survives on our hands for only about 10 minutes. In that time many things can happen, rubbing the eyes, touching the nose or lips. This allows the virus to enter your throat. Therefore, for your good and the good of all, wash your hands very often and disinfect them.

Hope that will help you all.
Soot Happens
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

"Feeling of being in control" is one of the most likely contributors to this behaviour.

While we're at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pqXaVVmN-c
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

If this virus happened back in the 1970s and 80s? And had these lockdowns. What would you be doing to amuse yourself?

I would have been reading or playing board and card games with family.
Soot Happens
Zakos
Tycoon