FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Aviation Gamer X
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by Aviation Gamer X »

I didn't really get the chance to use mods in this game, so I am using FIRS 3 as a first. But I cam e across a problem, I have no understanding of how I can find the vehicles for the set, Is there a specific mod I should download for FIRS 3 vehicles? Or do i have to look for tons of mods that have these cargo vehicles?
ignasigh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ignasigh »

2cc set should work + WAS for air cargos
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

As you found, there are many grfs (mods). Players have a wide range of favourites, so there's no single answer. :)

I often use:
  • Iron Horse 2 for trains
  • Road Hog for road vehicles
  • Squid Ate FISH for ships
  • CHIPS for stations
  • AV9.8 for planes
These grfs have good support for FIRS 3.

Disclaimer: I made 4 out of 5 of those grfs. I also made FIRS 3. Other players have their own recommendations.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Also, if you like the original OpenTTD vehicle set that's included with the game, then download OpenGFX+ Trains and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. These are the original vehicles encoded to support NewGRF industry sets.
mrgiords
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrgiords »

kamnet wrote: 13 Mar 2020 21:39 Also, if you like the original OpenTTD vehicle set that's included with the game, then download OpenGFX+ Trains and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. These are the original vehicles encoded to support NewGRF industry sets.
In my game I was using ECS & FIRS vehicle set v2014.11.26. Is OpenGFX+ generally preferable to this one for any reason?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

mrgiords wrote: 17 Mar 2020 15:42
kamnet wrote: 13 Mar 2020 21:39 Also, if you like the original OpenTTD vehicle set that's included with the game, then download OpenGFX+ Trains and OpenGFX+ Road Vehicles. These are the original vehicles encoded to support NewGRF industry sets.
In my game I was using ECS & FIRS vehicle set v2014.11.26. Is OpenGFX+ generally preferable to this one for any reason?
It legally uses all the original OpenTTD vehicles, and as it's maintained by some of the core devs it's always going to be up-to-date with future releases. Honza hasn't visited the forums in nearly 4 years and hasn't updated his set in 6.
mrgiords
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mrgiords »

kamnet wrote: 17 Mar 2020 15:52 It legally uses all the original OpenTTD vehicles, and as it's maintained by some of the core devs it's always going to be up-to-date with future releases. Honza hasn't visited the forums in nearly 4 years and hasn't updated his set in 6.
Thank you, now it's very clear what the advantages are
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The snowy Carbon Black plant in FIRS 4 has a glitch.
Attachments
FIRS4bug.png
(324.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Is it possible to build harbours into rivers/lakes/canals?
Oakman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Oakman »

I propose an additional parameter for FIRS which, when activated, prohibits the construction of new industries by the AI but allows manual construction of new industries.

Especially for sandbox-players this option would be great.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Oakman wrote: 07 Apr 2020 09:35 I propose an additional parameter for FIRS which, when activated, prohibits the construction of new industries by the AI but allows manual construction of new industries.
100% agree. Essential for sandbox play in my opinion.
Hei
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hei »

When playing with “Allow secondary industries to close” set to “On”, could it be possible for FIRS to warn the player(s) some time before closing a plant, similarly to what ECS does?
ECS closure warning.png
ECS closure warning.png (160.08 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
It’s quite annoying when a factory disappears without warning just when you’ve completed a long route to service it…
Cronos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cronos »

Hi! I've really enjoyed your set! I want to help with the Spanish translation but I can't check the current state nor apply in the webpage (https://bundles.openttdcoop.org/firs/re ... tions.html) I keep getting bad gateway errors, anyway, if some help is needed with a spanish translation I wanted to offer myself for it.

Best!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

New sprites!

Long Products Mill (Steeltown). Rolling mill, produces rebar, steel wire, steel sections etc.

long_products_mill.png
long_products_mill.png (425.9 KiB) Viewed 5268 times

Basic Oxygen Furnace (Steeltown). Pig Iron -> basic steels etc.

basic_oxygen_furnace.png
basic_oxygen_furnace.png (337.41 KiB) Viewed 5207 times

More FIRS sprites soon I hope. Maybe another v4 test release also. :D
Cronos wrote: 08 May 2020 00:12 I want to help with the Spanish translation but I can't check the current state nor apply in the webpage
Thanks! Web translation no longer works on the moment, so currently there's no way to assist with translations. Perhaps one day it might be restored! :)
Hei wrote: 21 Apr 2020 14:09 When playing with “Allow secondary industries to close” set to “On”, could it be possible for FIRS to warn the player(s) some time before closing a plant, similarly to what ECS does?
Maybe. I need to re-work closure code for FIRS v4. I will keep this in mind.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

FIRS has great sprites all around, but that Long Products Mill looks fantastic.

With the new 16-cargo limit, have you considered making industries accept passengers, to simulate people commuting to work? This was and is a major traffic source for passenger transport companies and could tie towns and industries together in the game world, as they currently coexist with little interaction except for final delivery of consumer goods. Workers could influence production similar to engineering supplies, or even be necessary. In any case they'd need to convert passengers into passengers to simulate workers returning home after their shift.
heycitizen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heycitizen »

FIRS 3 doesn't allow ports/fishing harbours etc spawning on lakes or rivers. Is this intended?
heycitizen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by heycitizen »

So I've forked the project in order to try getting harbours and ports to spawn on my maps of the great lakes.

For realism's sake, it would be great if industries could know if they are connected to ocean or map edge via river. Alas, the rainfall patch which does such calculations has never been incorporated into mainline openttd, which means I would have to run a rainfall-patched server, and clients would need the patched openttd to join; I would need to make sure the heightmap-generated scenario itself retained its water outflow information so that it can be visible to newgrfs during gameplay.

In the meantime, I tried to simply relax some of the spawning rules in FIRS so lakes and rivers are still regarded as coast tiles. Alas, it would seem that the dry slope to the sea is still somehow seen as a water tile, while dry slopes leading to rivers/lakes are not. This means that harbours and ports only spawn on waterfalls. Replacing the slope requirement with a coast_distance requirement kind of works, except it looks ugly.

Has anyone ever played heightmaps in openttd before?
GuilhermeJK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GuilhermeJK »

For long games starting before the 1900s.

Does the map generation option No. of industries affect the rate of new industries that become available later, like the offshore oil rigs?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Here's another FIRS 4 alpha release :)

Needs minimum OpenTTD 1.10

Major changes from v3 are:
  • use more than 3 cargos in / 2 out at many industries
  • major rework of Steeltown, new cargos, new industries, improved industry sprites; now very complex, but very playable
  • major rework of Arctic Basic, emphasising the fertiliser/explosives industry
  • minor rework of Tropic Basic
  • all production code rewritten as the newgrf spec changed with 16 cargo in/out support
  • removal of In A Hot Country - the intent is to rework this economy and it may or may not reappear (in v4, or later)
  • removal of Extreme - this is permanent, I prefer to work on more purposeful complex economies like Steeltown; for fans of Extreme, use FIRS v3, or one of the multiple FIRS forks or derivatives :)
  • improvements to cargo payment rates, cargo colours, industry map colours
Known Issues
  • pink 'x' used for many unfinished cargo icons
  • Fish Farm sprites unfinished in Arctic Basic
  • some Steeltown industries have very similar sprites
  • industries closure parameter not currently working - secondary industries will never close even if they should
  • some newly added industries provide incorrect station names
  • no complete changelog for v4 yet
  • no longer possible to update translations via web translator
It's recommended (but not required) to use Iron Horse 2.7 or newer with Steeltown, as it includes train wagons designed specifically for certain Steeltown cargos.

Download FIRS 4 Alpha 1
firs-4.0.0-alpha-2.tar
(4.23 MiB) Downloaded 156 times

Docs
I'm also testing alternatives for publishing the FIRS docs, as it's no longer possible to use OpenTTD Coop for this.

This link is not permanent, but eh: Test v4 Docs

Return to “Graphics Development”