Eurovision Song Contest, 2020

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Eurovision Song Contest, 2020

Post by Redirect Left »

It's just over 2 month now until the next instalment of Eurovison!

Should be an interesting one this year, despite the worlds troubles with viruses and varying states of chaos, Eurovision is still scheduled to brighten up to 3 nights of our lives again this year.
12th May & 14th May are the semi finals, and the 16th will be our final for the year. Free those evenings, and enjoy the camp fun!

Strong entries this year from several countrie so far. Iceland have toned it down from last years entry, with Think About Things, currently the top favourite to win, according to betting sites. Russia are going to pull out Little Big, who have been behind a few crackers, including the viral songs Skibidi with its crazy dance moves and Go Bananas. Not vocally the best, but Little Big always go the extra mile on delivery and performance, so hopefully they'll fit right in at Eurovison!

Not all countries have selected songs and artists yet, but im already impressed with the range of songs so far, giants yet to select songs include Ireland, Sweden, Finland & Norway, who nearly always do well, so i expect the range of songs to only improve in quality!

How's everyones thoughts regarding this years Eurovision?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2020

Post by Chrill »

I love the Icelandic song, it has become a meme in Sweden even though it has not won their selection yet.

I've heard all that Sweden has to offer for 2020, it is a very weak lineup indeed. Weak enough that I am concerned about progressing through the semi finals even. This will not be our year.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well. That doesn't matter since the ESC, for the first time ever, is cancelled.

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision- ... -cancelled
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Yup. For the first time in 65 years, cancelled.

Really hope that entries for this year will be permitted to perform next year (or whenever the next Eurovision is), mostly so I can see Little Big perform their song live.

Here's to the shortest Eurovision thread on TT-F then!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

That will not happen, surely. All the local selections, such as our Melodifestivalen, have contractual obligations to fulfil as well. Surely we won't cancel Melodifestivalen 2021! :mrgreen: I do expect a lot of returning acts, though.
My Scenarios:
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I figured they could still show the winning performances from all the national telecasts and stage that. It's not like people won't be home to vote.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I think it comes down to Eurovision aiming to "bring people together", and they cannot do it properly if people aren't actually in the same place.

That being said, I think we'll get some sort of event even if not a competition. In my mind, Iceland won this year. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, my mother is even more of an ESC freak than I am, so last Saturday she hosted the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Bålsta, a town outside Stockholm (they just so happen to live there).

She made my brother put together a playlist of 26 songs (the top 20 most likely winners according to odds, plus the big 5 and the host), randomised starting order. We had interval acts, the whole shebang. We then voted for our favourites according to the simple method "how good is this on a scale of 1-10?".

Well, without further ado:

10. Germany, 31 points
9. Poland, 32 points
8. Israel, 33 points
7. Sweden, 40 points (see, even in our own home we only finished 7th!)
6. Georgia, 41 points
5. Malta, 42 points
4. Italy, 43 points
3. Russia, 48 points
2. Iceland, 52 points
1. Lithuania, 56 points

Like I've said here before, Iceland is my favourite, but I'm pretty happy with Lithuania winning. See you in Vilnius in 2021!

UK, you ask? A perfectably acceptable P16 finish, with 22 points. The lowest score of all was Ireland, with just 12 points from a total of 6 voters (so that's a 2-point average)
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The organisers have confirmed, there will be a Eurovision event this year. Eurovision: Love Shine A Light, will honor all the submitted songs, in a non competitive format. It'll also bring together artists and perform a past Eurovision hit, with lyrics altered for the current situation. It'll air on 16th May, the intended date of the normal contests finale.

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision- ... -on-16-may
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, Sweden will name their 12-pointer tonight even though the whole thing is cancelled. I believe you can watch this across the globe for free, if you are so inclined.

Stream here:
https://www.svtplay.se/video/26662194/e ... ?info=visa
Sweden 9pm, so that's 8pm in the UK, 3pm Eastern, noon Pacific.

We'll air the top 10 from both semi finals plus the big 5 and the host for a total of 26 entries. We'll vote in the Melodifestivalen app. Maybe that one is global too, and can be downloaded to your phone?
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I do feel kinda bad for Iceland, COVID may have stolen their first #1 place for them, the only Nordic country to have not won Eurovision to date.

Hopefully Iceland bring back the same act for next year, and they can try again with a different song.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Did you watch the Eurovision Song Contest: Story of Fire Saga on Netflix? This scene above is really all you need, unless you're a massive nerd. This whole scene is just a love letter to music, with a lot of former Eurovision participants joining in. Loved it! I loved the movie, it was perfectly cheesy and cringe. Just like the real thing.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”