FIRS and CHIPS style objects & CIRso terrain updated to 0.1.10! (28-march-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.7 released! (20-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

andythenorth wrote: 24 Feb 2020 07:22 Snow aware or riot? :)
Sure! Ground tiles? I can definitely do that now. I have to tidy up my older code anyway; this would be a good starting point.

I was actually meaning to ask if you would like my help with a few specific aspects of FIRS that I've noticed. I can try my hand at adding to the roster of snow-covered buildings, because the set isn't complete at the moment. Your call!

Oh and of course, if you want to use any of the graphics I have done for use in FIRS, you are most absolutely free to do so.
FIRS and CHIPS style objects (w.i.p.) || also available on BaNaNas!
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.7 released! (20-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

It took me the better part of today, because I had to fix some graphical quirks, set up a whole new spritesheet, rework my code and do a lot of manual pixel editing. But it's done. Iron ore, manganese, potash, pyrite and limestone mines will have 4 rotations each in the next version, all fully animated.

*EDIT* The iron ore mine is now also snow-aware! However, the original in FIRS is not, so maybe andythenorth would like to look at that?
I made a snow version of the mine carts w/ sheds:
Image Image
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Update on FaCso 0.1.8 progress:

It's going to take a while (weeks) to get this ready as I have been:
- adding more features, such as buildings using the second company color, full 2CC and inverted 2CC
- adding (randomized) object variants
- adding snow-aware ground tiles (where applicable, in anticipation of having a full snow-aware building set eventually)
- doing serious re-organizing on the purchase-menu, which is heavily dependent on how I handle all of the above matters
- then finally, creating custom composite images for the purchase menus where more than 1 item is possible per view (as in ISR/DWE)

I've also been tidying up the code and the language file to make it more uniform, and stripping duplicate parts of the NML that are unneeded.

I'm still debating some things, which I'd like input on. Expect a poll in this topic soon.

All this means that the new version will definitely not be backwards-compatible with older FaCso versions. That's also why I'm taking my time on this one, so I won't have to break compatibility again in the foreseeable future.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Progress report -- I've continued going through the NML, tidying up the code and adding variations of the existing objects that use the second company color.
Preview:

On a related note, I will be moving to a new house in a month (give or take). My aim is to have a solid release ready before the move. Some of the more experimental/difficult objects that I've been working on recently (such as the large Stockyard buildings) will likely not be included in FaCso 0.1.8 to keep laser-focused on delivering a reliable, uniform set of decorations.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Next release is progressing smoothly now, with the purchase menu being much less cluttered.
Over the past days, I've added tons of new sprite edits/variants, and a majority of the objects in the set now have two versions, one for each player company color.
Here's yet more new toys to play with in v0.1.8 when it releases:
click spoilers below for more images
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

This is shaping up to be a great set. The only issue is that most industries have a random CC, so they rarely match up with these objects. The only fix for this I can see is if all the industries used the same colour like coal mines.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

andythenorth wrote: 14 Mar 2020 07:15 These are really nice sprites. Maybe someone should make an industry set with them! :twisted:
We can only dream :wink: It goes without saying that if you want to use any of my edits of your sprites, they're yours. If you need something specific I could try my hand at cobbling something together :) That Cryo Plant spritesheet you provided has been very educational because it had so many of the buildings' separate bits.
It's been a lot of fun, going through the FIRS spritesheets and seeing how the various buildings are composed of a set of recognizable shapes and parts. I'm still getting the hang of adding drop shadows and texturing rough surfaces (bricks etc.).
Diesel Power wrote: 14 Mar 2020 08:26 This is shaping up to be a great set. The only issue is that most industries have a random CC, so they rarely match up with these objects. The only fix for this I can see is if all the industries used the same colour like coal mines.
Good observation! 100% agree with this. It's been one of the things that caused me to take a 2 week break from the coding aspect, while settling on how to structure its contents.

As an aside: while most industries do have a random CC in FIRS, the bright colors are generally excluded from this (orange comes to mind). These specific company colors don't have dark shades, which causes the edges of CC surfaces to "glow". Example, Yellow (left) vs Orange (right).

There were several solutions that I came up with, but none that would not either:
A. Immensely clutter up the purchase menu with the same object in different CCs, quickly capping the newGRF's 256 object limit several times over.
B. Require tons and tons of clicking by continuously spamming an object until the desired color is picked randomly.
Incidentally, this is also why I decided against adding mix-and-match (2CC/inverted 2CC) objects currently.

I am very open to any ideas about how to implement more than two CC options eventually, so if anyone reading this has some NML wizardry up their sleeve -- feel free to chime in!

For now, picking brown, grey or some other desaturated CC as a secondary color will somewhat work to keep the graphics consistent with the existing FIRS industry buildings that are generated when the game is started.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Getting close to the release of 0.1.8, it's about 90% of the way there. Lots and lots of new sprites and variants have been added, and most of the industrial buildings and objects from FIRS are ready for the release.

Note that in 0.1.8, most items in the purchase menu have 4 views, usually with roughly 4 randomized variants per view. Every object that supports company colors will have an alternate version for the secondary company color.

Because I am still adding items, I'm not doing the ISR-style menu images yet (where it shows all the randomized variations of the sprite in 1 image).

Some of the new stuff from the past 2 days. Click the spoilers for images!
[+] Spoiler
FIRS textile mill on the left, new edits by me on the right:
More textile mill and furniture factory buildings, with more of my edits in the mix:
[+] Spoiler
FIRS paper mill buildings, with some new stuff, now in 2CC:
[+] Spoiler
FIRS lime kiln, coke oven and some other stuff, with some new edits and in 2CC:
[+] Spoiler
Tyre plant, new sprite variants by me added for the next release, 2CC support:
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

Great set! keep up the good work! :bow:
Real Projects 32bpp releases:

Real Semi Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90996
Real Houses Eyecandy Objects 32bp: viewtopic.php?t=90767
Real Ships 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90733
Real Industries 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90183
Real Houses Townset 32bp: viewtopic.php?p=1254605
Real Stations 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1255635
Real Cars 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249244
Real Vehicles 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1253581
Real Bus 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249245
Real Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1254468
Real Parks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1250255
Argentina World Cup 2022 Champions Bus 32bpp viewtopic.php?p=1257026
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Getting very close to 0.1.8 -- all mine buildings except the animated carts are now 2CC-compatible. Also did a lot of reorganizing of the purchase menu.

rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

rotterdxm wrote: 25 Feb 2020 00:33 It took me the better part of today, because I had to fix some graphical quirks, set up a whole new spritesheet, rework my code and do a lot of manual pixel editing. But it's done. Iron ore, manganese, potash, pyrite and limestone mines will have 4 rotations each in the next version, all fully animated.

I made a snow version of the mine carts w/ sheds:
Image Image
SO, UPDATE!

FaCso 0.1.8 is 99% done. I've redone basically all the NML for the whole thing, completely overhauled the purchase menu, added second company color support across the board and added hundreds upon hundreds of new objects I've based off of existing FIRS graphics (also some ISR and openGFX stuff is creeping in). More variation! Some of you may have seen the screenshots posted by AlexTheDacian on the Discord. Good stuff.

Spent a few hours on adding 2CC and snow awareness for the animated mine buildings. These are the only snow-aware buildings at this time. Note that for now I'm not using the sprites with snowy roofs that I created earlier (for the buildings themselves, see quoted post above). Once FaCso v0.1.8 hits BaNaNas, don't try using it with your existing savegame if you have been using 0.1.7; it will mess up your savegame. However, it will be a stable platform for me to very gradually roll out more snow-aware objects without breaking your savegames. First order of business will be to have all the "dirt" terrain buildings (mines, copper refinery, lime kiln, etc etc etc) use snowy terrain in winter, then going back in and adding the snow-covered buildings.

It's a lot of extra work to add those in, not just code wise -- I'll have to dive in and draw my own snow sprites in many cases. The intention is to have almost the entire set be snow-aware, and where FIRS doesn't have snow graphics yet (as in these buildings in the picture), I'll be providing those back to FIRS where applicable. Eventually. Andy is pretty busy with other things, so we'll see when that materializes. :wink:
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

0.1.8 IS DONE! See first post in the topic.

IT WILL BREAK YOUR SAVEGAME IF YOU WERE USING 0.1.7 AND TRY TO LOAD YOUR GAME WITH 0.1.8
Last edited by rotterdxm on 20 Mar 2020 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.8 and new companion mod CIRso released! (20-march-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

Source files for CIRso and FaCso 0.1.8 attached here, because the first post of the topic doesn't have enough attachment space for it.
Attachments
facso_0.1.8_sourcefiles.tar
(9 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
cirso_0.1.8_sourcefiles.tar
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
LupusMechanicus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.8 and new companion mod CIRso released! (20-march-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by LupusMechanicus »

Glad you managed to release this amazing pack. It's incredible how many objects there are in it! :shock:

I just love the amount of flavour that this pack gives. Especially the steel industry related objects. Took a couple of screenshots to keep them forever. :D

Cheers!
LupusMechanicus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LupusMechanicus »

Andy, you have my permission to include them.

Cheers! :wink:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Awesome stuff guys, good job!!! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

Quast65 wrote: 20 Mar 2020 21:53 Awesome stuff guys, good job!!! :bow:
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the hell out of it :)

Return to “Graphics Development”