FIRS and CHIPS style objects & CIRso terrain updated to 0.1.10! (28-march-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

FIRS and CHIPS style objects & CIRso terrain updated to 0.1.10! (28-march-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

====================================
FIRS and CHIPS style objects (FaCso) v0.1.10
Industry and miscellaneous tiles as objects, to expand and prettify/grungify your industrial areas, based on graphics by the FIRS team (andythenorth, planetmaker, FooBar and many others).
There are a lot of my own sprite edits and variants in the set, but it's all based on (and in the spirit of) the work of the people mentioned above!
You don't need FIRS or CHIPS to use this NewGRF, but why wouldn't you use them?

FaCso 0.1.10 IS OUT! NEW COMPANION MOD, CIRso! COMPATIBILITY NOTES! IMPORTANT!
Get these two mods through BaNaNas and in this post's attachments.

Feel free to make suggestions and to check out the source files; you may find the files pretty useful as a starter pack for making object sets of your own. It has a lot of basic functionality in it (multi-tile buildings, animations, multiple views, randomized and terrain switches, company colors/2CC, overlays, etc.).

NEW IN 0.1.10:
* FaCso: New inclusions: Ammonia and plastics plant sets completed and expanded (all 2CC). FIRS flour mill/plantation buildings (mediterranean style) in terrain-aware and cobblestone groundtile flavors; I created a lot of new variants I plan to add more misc. buildings in this category.
* FaCso: Fixed a few oversights, such as incorrect groundtypes for some buildings and purchase menu images not being lined up quite right.
* CIRso: added terrain-aware ISR-style pipelines. Transitional tiles for these as well as fence crossings are in the works.

NEW IN 0.1.9:
* Additions: FIRS 4 Cryo plant buildings, OpenGFX Lumber Mill buildings (used in FIRS), lots of FIRS/CHIPS small misc. buildings.

NEW IN 0.1.8:
* Now with full support for 2CC!
* Massively increased the amount of objects in the set, with tons of new variations!
* Completely reworked code!
* Purchase menu now much more organized!

0.1.8 & ONWARDS: MAIN RELEASE CHANGELOG & NOTES:
* 0.1.8 is the first "main release". All of the code has been redone and the purchase menu has been completely reorganized.
NOTE TO USERS OF v0.1.7 OR OLDER: IF YOU TRY TO LOAD YOUR SAVEGAME AFTER UPDATING TO FaCSO 0.1.8 OR NEWER, THINGS WILL GET WEIRD.
This release should be a stable platform and it's unlikely that I'll have to break backwards compatibility again.

* Fences, terrain transitions and decorative cargo tiles have been spun off into their own newGRF, called CIRso (CHIPS Industrial Renewal style objects).
Intention is to the gap between ISR/DWE style sprites and FIRS/CHIPS style sprites with a solid mix of dirt, concrete, cobblestone and (slightly cleaner) ISR/DWE ground transition tiles.
You even get two flavors of terrain-aware transitionals, so you can mix-and-match with openGFX style snow as well as FIRS-style (brighter) snow.
[+] Spoiler
* Many hundreds of new objects have been added across the dirt, concrete and cobblestone categories.
A lot of these were done by yours truly, based on existing FIRS graphics.
Most FIRS industrial buildings are available; farms and the like will come eventually, but are not a priority.

* Second company color (2CC) support has been implemented across the board.

* Purchase menu has been overhauled and consolidated. Most of the purchase menu items have 4 views, and most views have 3 to 4 randomized variants (sometimes less, rarely more).
The purchase menu object description will mention if the object has 2CC support and/or randomized variations. Just keep clicking until you get what you want, ISR-style.

* I've received a few comments about how some of the player colors are making some buildings "pop" too much. Others have asked whether I plan to include *all* player colors.
As things stand, it's not likely. I don't have a solution for providing all player colors for all objects without:
A. completely cluttering up the purchase menu
B. and also running into the newGRF limit of 256 objects
I might add some more neutrally-colored or toned-down versions of specific objects, and am open to requests.
For now, I recommend choosing a less saturated color scheme for your primary and/or secondary company color.

* Support for snow-aware buildings is in the works! For now, only the animated mine carts have this feature.
Currently the plan is to start with the "dirt"-based set of objects (mines, lime kiln, copper refinery, pyrite smelter, steel mill, etc.).
Snow-aware buildings will be rolled out *very* gradually. Not all FIRS industries are snow-aware; I'll be providing sprites back to FIRS when I need to create them.
Then again, as there are few industrial object sets that support snow-aware graphics (ISR for example), this would visually clash. Still split on this issue; feedback welcome.

CHANGELOG: OLDER VERSIONS:
[+] Spoiler
0.1.7 FIX: the random variations of resource tiles (piece goods, bulk, etc.) were not checked over as thoroughly as they should be before release. Most of them would still be generated with a dirt ground tile, even when selecting concrete, cobblestone or snow. Oops.
[+] Spoiler
Other than that, it's now possible to make your own custom clay pit/phosphate mine/quarry mud banks. With some new sprite edits by me, you can expand the water area quite a bit.Not only that, but they're terrain-aware and will match the grass, snow and desert if placed there. Sneak preview in the spoiler!
[+] Spoiler
0.1.6 includes a HUGE set of cargo resource tiles from CHIPS for almost every resource (only items not included are farm animals and grain silos). They have their own subsection, and are available for all ground types (dirt, concrete, cobblestone and snow). Resource tiles come in 9 to 12 random variants each, with the smaller piles having a lower random chance to be selected when placing the object.
MANY thanks to Erato for helping me with the randomization code!

0.1.5 adds the "cobblestone" category, which includes industries like textile mills, brickworks, metal workshops and the like. Also new: (animated!) steel mill buildings.

0.1.4 adds most remaining mine buildings, with animated mine carts for potash, pyrite, limestone, iron ore and manganese mines. New sprites from the in-development FIRS 4 are also being included (thx Andy!).
SCREENSHOTS:
0.1.10 screenshots
MORE:
[+] Spoiler

0.1.8 screenshots by AlexTheDacian, showing how to combine FaCso & CIRso with ISR and other newGRFs!
AlexTheDacian wrote: 20 Mar 2020 17:18 Image

LICENSING:
The originating mods are under the GPL-v2 license, so I guess that applies to this project too.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

THANKYOUS:
Much gratitude to the people who have spent all these years coding, modding, spriting, developing and documenting.
Thanks to GarryG for uploading many of his Auz objects newGRF source files, which I learned quite a bit from.

Special shout outs to spnda, Gwyd and Erato on the openTTD Discord for helping me get started with openTTD modding!

AlexTheDacian, you are the hype king and I appreciate that so much. Thanks for sharing your screenshots featuring my projects!
Attachments
cirso_0.1.10.tar
CIRso 0.1.10, 2020-03-28
(372 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
facso_0.1.10.tar
FaCso 0.1.10, 2020-03-28
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 318 times
Last edited by rotterdxm on 28 Mar 2020 16:45, edited 40 times in total.
FIRS and CHIPS style objects (w.i.p.) || also available on BaNaNas!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.3 released! Also on BaNaNas!

Post by andythenorth »

Lots of work. Pretty rad. :thumbsup

Some recently updated spritesheets attached, or find them all at https://github.com/andythenorth/firs - there's currently an active branch for 'v4 release track'.
Attachments
slag_grinding_plant_1.png
slag_grinding_plant_1.png (8.21 KiB) Viewed 17970 times
carbon_black_plant_1.png
carbon_black_plant_1.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 17970 times
cryo_plant_1.png
cryo_plant_1.png (44.04 KiB) Viewed 17970 times
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

andythenorth wrote: 13 Feb 2020 13:17 Lots of work. Pretty rad. :thumbsup

Some recently updated spritesheets attached, or find them all at https://github.com/andythenorth/firs - there's currently an active branch for 'v4 release track'.
Thank you andythenorth! I'm glad you appreciate my project. And thanks a lot for the tip on the new spritesheets! Will download those when I get back home and compare. *Edit* wanted to say the new sheets look fantastic, I'm a sucker for well-crafted isometric buildings.
Are the new spritesheets being actively worked on still? In that case I'll need to start keeping track of the github.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

rotterdxm wrote: 13 Feb 2020 14:26 Are the new spritesheets being actively worked on still? In that case I'll need to start keeping track of the github.
The ones I've posted are done, unless I find mistakes ;)

There are more industries to draw before I can release FIRS v4.

Commits for v4 are in https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/co ... ease-track
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

andythenorth wrote: 13 Feb 2020 15:23
rotterdxm wrote: 13 Feb 2020 14:26 Are the new spritesheets being actively worked on still? In that case I'll need to start keeping track of the github.
The ones I've posted are done, unless I find mistakes ;)

There are more industries to draw before I can release FIRS v4.

Commits for v4 are in https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/co ... ease-track
Awesome. Thanks for the support andy! I have added the slag pit buildings to the latest build of the project. Looks tasty :)

I see a lot of dark grey areas around those FIRS 4 buildings' footprints, is that the direction you're going in with all of the buildings in FIRS 4? Will you be adding the dark areas to the older style buildings from FIRS 3 as well?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

rotterdxm wrote: 14 Feb 2020 11:46 I see a lot of dark grey areas around those FIRS 4 buildings' footprints, is that the direction you're going in with all of the buildings in FIRS 4? Will you be adding the dark areas to the older style buildings from FIRS 3 as well?
FIRS art style goes through different phases and fashions. Currently I think the grey helps connect the building to the tile sprite.

I probably won't go back and retrofit the older stuff though :)
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.4 released! (14-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by Diesel Power »

Great job! I've always thought the industries don't look big enough. Now I can make them look much bigger. I'll be using these in my next game. I'll let you know if I find anything.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.4 released! (14-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by andythenorth »

Diesel Power wrote: 15 Feb 2020 21:31 Great job! I've always thought the industries don't look big enough. Now I can make them look much bigger. I'll be using these in my next game. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Screenshots, or didn't happen :twisted:
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This is some good stuff, bull's eye I say :),
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

0.1.5 is nearing release. New additions: near-full set of the cobblestone-based industries as well as the blast furnace/steel mill (with multi-part animations!).
Sneak peek:
[+] Spoiler
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.5 released! (16-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

*edit* accidental double post, my bad
Last edited by rotterdxm on 16 Feb 2020 23:55, edited 2 times in total.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.5 released! (16-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

0.1.5 is out! Some examples of what can be done with this:
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

0.1.6 is ready!
NEW: Added a HUGE set of cargo resource tiles from CHIPS for almost every resource (only items not included are farm animals and grain silos).
They have their own subsection, and are available for all ground types (dirt, concrete, cobblestone and snow).
Resource tiles come in 9 to 12 random variants each, with the smaller piles having a lower random chance to be selected when placing the object.

MANY thanks to Erato for helping me with the randomization code!

lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.6 released! (18-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by lostpawn »

Great work! Thank you so much.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.6 released! (18-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

More progress! When FaCso 0.1.7 drops, you'll be able to make custom clay pits/phosphate mines/quarries. This was a TON of work, but it's been truly educational. :mrgreen:

Did some custom sprite editing for a bit more variety in the mud banks. Also added full water tiles for the pits so you can make them much larger now..

Bonus feature 1: these objects are terrain-aware and will adapt to desert and snow terrain.
Bonus feature 2: the pit area itself will stay visible when transparency is enabled, while the buildings/conveyers are overlaid and will thus be see-through. Just like in FIRS!

Once again thanks to spnda and Erato on the openTTD Discord for helping me figure this out!

Also, I appreciate the warm reception. Thanks, all the people who've downloaded FIRS and CHIPS style objects and especially those who have commented! The 500 downloads mark is approaching quickly. 8)

Will look into getting the whole shebang up on Github some time semi-soon.
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

PROGRESS!
0.1.8 will include ISR-style fences and terrain transitions.

The fences are available for dirt, FIRS concrete and FIRS cobblestone terrain.

The booms (barriers) come in 8 varieties:
- raised and lowered
- company color 1, company color 2, dual colors and reversed dual colors
All are available on dirt, concrete and cobblestone terrain.

The transitional terrain allows you to connect ISR-style tiles with dirt, FIRS concrete and FIRS cobblestone tiles.

rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rotterdxm »

More progress! Transitional tiles for concrete, cobblestone, dirt and the ISR/DWE tiles are being added in the next version. Terrain-aware versions are also in the works, but this will require a lot more coding on my end so I'll wait a little bit until I can further automate that process. Not just that, it will take MANY of the 256 available object slots within any newGRF. I might decide to split off the fences, transition pieces and decorative cargo tiles into its own newGRF eventually.
Sneak preview:
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.7 released! (20-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

Did a lot more work on the fences and transitional tiles. Now the straight fence parts come in all transitional variants, leaving a lot more room to build in your fenced-off areas.

Second image shows another addition: terrain-aware fences. These come in 2 variants (normal/desert/FIRS snow and normal/desert/OpenGFX snow). You can build these on the outside of your fenced-off areas and they will still match up seamlessly. Again, much more room for other decorations, because it will let you build right up to the fence!
rotterdxm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: FIRS and CHIPS style objects 0.1.7 released! (20-feb-2020). Also on BaNaNas!

Post by rotterdxm »

As requested by user Olionkey, I've tried my hand at frankensteining and manually reworking some specific sprites; in the next version of FaCso, expect rotated variants of the animated mining carts for the iron ore, manganese, pyrite, potash and limestone mines.

Original --> Image Image <-- my edit
(yes, the left image isn't animated, but it's just the standard animated FIRS mine exit... you know what it looks like :mrgreen: )

This is what the whole building looks like:

Return to “Graphics Development”