American Bridge Replacement Set [0.5.0 Released 12-13-2020]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.4.0 Released 4-30-19]

Post by SimYouLater »

Never mind about the trestle. It's a minor glitch and can't be solved wityhout adjusting the sprites. I'll post the bridge glitches in the other direction so you don't have to check anything manually.

Here's the cable-stayed rail bridge...
Attachments
As coded.
As coded.
Carhattan Transport, 01_09_2200.png (75.02 KiB) Viewed 17984 times
Carhattan Transport, 01_09_2200#1.png
Fixed.
(88.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Checked against default bridge heads.
Checked against default bridge heads.
Carhattan Transport, 01_11_2200#2.png (26.94 KiB) Viewed 17974 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 10 Nov 2019 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Just a note ... You can't check alignments against custom bridge heads mainly because they are not part of the bridges. Set your alignments against the bridge's own ramps. I recommend using the flat ramp which can in turn be aligned to a flat ground tile. You may find my Tile Grids very useful here.
Last edited by wallyweb on 10 Nov 2019 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Plate girder bridge, checked against both bridge head types...

EDIT: Not fixable via sprite alignment, adding this for your convenience.
Attachments
Carhattan Transport, 01_10_2200.png
As coded.
(107.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carhattan Transport, 01_11_2200.png
Fixed.
(86.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carhattan Transport, 01_11_2200#1.png
Checked with default bridge heads.
(85.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 15 Nov 2019 01:42, edited 3 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Issue with the covered road bridge, that should be everything. Hopefully this isn't too much work for you!
Attachments
Carhattan Transport, 01_05_2200.png
Note the incorrect girder sprite.
(216.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote: 10 Nov 2019 23:55 Issue with the covered road bridge, that should be everything. Hopefully this isn't too much work for you!
Looks to me like a girder for the N>S bridge was used.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Trouble is you're only checking one type of bridge head with your fixes ;)
gap.png
gap.png (14.16 KiB) Viewed 17963 times
Like I said, some of the issues you're pointing out can't be easily solved by just re-aligning the sprites; they are put where they are for a reason ;) In order to "fix" them would require a tricky dance of balancing how it looks between different versions of the game to support a minor niche feature. It's hard enough to get all the pieces to line up properly as it is, so I'm not sure the amount of time it would take to make it "perfect" is worth it (if its even possible for that matter). In the case where one is going to look "off" I would lean towards JGRPP taking the hit, plus many of these issues are also very minor ;)

The covered bridge thing is definitely weird though, especially since it only happens in one direction :? There's probably an errant byte somewhere, so I'll look into that :)

EDIT:
wallyweb wrote:Looks to me like a girder for the N>S bridge was used
Yeah, except there shouldn't even be a support there at all Ah nevermind, yeah it's just the wrong sprite there. Easy fix :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote: 11 Nov 2019 00:07 Trouble is you're only checking one type of bridge head with your fixes ;)

Like I said, some of the issues you're pointing out can't be easily solved by just re-aligning the sprites; they are put where they are for a reason ;) In order to "fix" them would require a tricky dance of balancing how it looks between different versions of the game to support a minor niche feature. It's hard enough to get all the pieces to line up properly as it is, so I'm not sure the amount of time it would take to make it "perfect" is worth it (if its even possible for that matter). In the case where one is going to look "off" I would lean towards JGRPP taking the hit, plus many of these issues are also very minor ;)
Fair enough! Can you at least fix the alignment of the cable-stayed bridge? It looks like an easy fix to me.
Andrew350 wrote: 11 Nov 2019 00:07The covered bridge thing is definitely weird though, especially since it only happens in one direction :? There's probably an errant byte somewhere, so I'll look into that :)

EDIT:
wallyweb wrote:Looks to me like a girder for the N>S bridge was used
Yeah, except there shouldn't even be a support there at all Ah nevermind, yeah it's just the wrong sprite there. Easy fix :)
Yeah, that was definitely unintentional. I'm looking forward to version 4.1! :D

EDIT: Fixed the cable-stayed bridge for you!
Attachments
american_bridges.nfo
Here, I fixed the cable-stayed bridge. Still needs the covered bridge to be fixed.
(142.13 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Licenses for my work...
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Hi. I spotted an issue with the cable-stayed bridge's supports. I know I'm new, but can you fix this in the next release?

EDIT: I just checked it in the sprite aligner, this can't be fixed the way I thought it could. Sorry to bother you.
Attachments
Watkins & Co., 01_05_2200#1.png
(148.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Watkins & Co., 01_05_2200.png
(164.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

So, I've been looking into bridges in an attempt to make a JGR-compatible bridge set. Is there any chance you can help me code a single road-only bridge mod out of your wooden bridge in m4nfo?
Attachments
Bridges.ods
Current plans for JGR-proof bridges, including a few of your bridges. For now I just need to learn how to put a single bridge together.
(16.59 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi Gadg8eer

Unfortunately I've never used m4nfo so I don't think I will be of much help there. I may be able to give some pointers for regular nfo, but I'm not sure how that will translate to m4nfo.

Honestly once you copy one bridge, it's mostly a matter of changing certain bytes and strings and sprites to add another one. Understanding what each part does will help with debugging if you miss something (I always miss something :P), and that info can be found in the newgrf documentation. I strongly recommend reading the docs while reading the code side-by-side to understand what is going on in each piece of code :)
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Andrew350 wrote: 06 Feb 2020 22:25 Hi Gadg8eer

Unfortunately I've never used m4nfo so I don't think I will be of much help there. I may be able to give some pointers for regular nfo, but I'm not sure how that will translate to m4nfo.

Honestly once you copy one bridge, it's mostly a matter of changing certain bytes and strings and sprites to add another one. Understanding what each part does will help with debugging if you miss something (I always miss something :P), and that info can be found in the newgrf documentation. I strongly recommend reading the docs while reading the code side-by-side to understand what is going on in each piece of code :)
Thanks. Can I contact you via PM if wallyweb doesn't know anything about m4nfo? I don't learn well from reading or doing, only from having someone to ask questions when I run into an issue.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gadg8eer wrote: 09 Feb 2020 01:28if wallyweb doesn't know anything about m4nfo? I don't learn well from reading or doing, only from having someone to ask questions when I run into an issue.
Michael Blunck (aka MB) is the best person to consult about m4nfo. He developed it. Also, Michael is very good about helping people. You'll get good guidance. 8)
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

wallyweb wrote: 09 Feb 2020 01:56
Gadg8eer wrote: 09 Feb 2020 01:28if wallyweb doesn't know anything about m4nfo? I don't learn well from reading or doing, only from having someone to ask questions when I run into an issue.
Michael Blunck (aka MB) is the best person to consult about m4nfo. He developed it. Also, Michael is very good about helping people. You'll get good guidance. 8)
Is that the guy who's a perfectionist with his NewGRFs? I've heard good things about him, but also bad things. I'll contact him regardless if I can't figure out how to make his m4nfo bridge template work.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gadg8eer wrote: 09 Feb 2020 02:14
wallyweb wrote: 09 Feb 2020 01:56
Is that the guy who's a perfectionist with his NewGRFs?
Yep. :D He was one of the first to release a NewGRF way back when there was only TTDPatch.
I'll contact him regardless if I can't figure out how to make his m4nfo bridge template work.
You'll not regret it. :D
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

wallyweb wrote: 09 Feb 2020 02:33
Gadg8eer wrote: 09 Feb 2020 02:14
wallyweb wrote: 09 Feb 2020 01:56 Michael Blunck (aka MB) is the best person to consult about m4nfo. He developed it. Also, Michael is very good about helping people. You'll get good guidance. 8)
Is that the guy who's a perfectionist with his NewGRFs?
Yep. :D He was one of the first to release a NewGRF way back when there was only TTDPatch.
I'll contact him regardless if I can't figure out how to make his m4nfo bridge template work.
You'll not regret it. :D
I regret it. MB hasn't so much as looked at my PM.

Any chance you can help me code bridges? I'm planning a modular approach to them, each GRF has only one bridge and a parameter for the bridge ID so that they can be mixed and matched.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Gadg8eer wrote: 28 May 2020 23:53Any chance you can help me code bridges? I'm planning a modular approach to them, each GRF has only one bridge and a parameter for the bridge ID so that they can be mixed and matched.
I was thinking about something like that a few months ago. It could be a bit of a nightmare though. The ID is used in several places in the code. I've got a bit of a workload for the next couple of weeks. Remind me the second Friday in June and we'll take a look at it. Do you have the sprites for a very simple bridge to start with?
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

wallyweb wrote: 29 May 2020 03:20
Gadg8eer wrote: 28 May 2020 23:53Any chance you can help me code bridges? I'm planning a modular approach to them, each GRF has only one bridge and a parameter for the bridge ID so that they can be mixed and matched.
I was thinking about something like that a few months ago. It could be a bit of a nightmare though. The ID is used in several places in the code. I've got a bit of a workload for the next couple of weeks. Remind me the second Friday in June and we'll take a look at it. Do you have the sprites for a very simple bridge to start with?
I know it's kind of annoying that I use other people's sprites, but I figure it's better to give full credits and only use GPL stuff than to create GRFs with terrible graphics. So yes, I do have the sprites needed, borrowed from other bridge sets. The problem is that I have no idea how m4nfo works, which has led to a dead end in my bridge coding.

Keep in mind these bridges have been hand-picked for graphical compatibility with JGRPP, which has custom bridge heads. Not a single bridge has so much as a pixel of a hole; holes in the sprites currently plague every bridge set ever made.
Attachments
Individual Bridge Set.ods
Spreadsheet of the planned bridges.
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Ok .. All my coding is in NFO.
The Suspended Monorail Bridge in your spreadsheet was done by me. We'll save that one for last.
JGR is a good choice for bridges. He's added some features that are quite interesting. More on that later.
If you haven't seen my tutorial, now is a good time to study it here. It's a work in progress with much still to be done.
What do you mean by "holes"?
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

wallyweb wrote: 29 May 2020 04:08 Ok .. All my coding is in NFO.
The Suspended Monorail Bridge in your spreadsheet was done by me. We'll save that one for last.
JGR is a good choice for bridges. He's added some features that are quite interesting. More on that later.
If you haven't seen my tutorial, now is a good time to study it here. It's a work in progress with much still to be done.
What do you mean by "holes"?
When using custom bridge heads, holes appear in at least one bridge in every bridge set made to date. You can see the hole in this rail bridge where the demolition explosion (the orange pixels) shines through the hole.
Attachments
Quartston Transport, 01_01_2200.png
Quartston Transport, 01_01_2200.png (21.05 KiB) Viewed 15581 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Seeing as the discussion is leading away from the main topic, perhaps it is best moved to PMs or split off to a new development thread :)

Return to “Graphics Development”