"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by Emperor Jake »

Alpha's workign fine, the Grub and Snowplough look good. Is it intended that the Snowplough carries a bit of cargo? Doesn't look like there's much room in there but I suppose if it does make it useful...

Also I discovered a way of making "intercity MU's" by combining railcars with DVTs. Would you consider giving railcars teh same speed bonus with DVTs as they get with express locomotives? As a "secret" way to get faster MUs :twisted:
Attachments
mus.png
mus.png (88.09 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 24 Nov 2019 14:00 Also I discovered a way of making "intercity MU's" by combining railcars with DVTs. Would you consider giving railcars teh same speed bonus with DVTs as they get with express locomotives? As a "secret" way to get faster MUs :twisted:
Yes, that's a good idea, BAD FEATURE multiplied. :twisted:

EDIT: here's 2.2.0-alpha-3 with that feature ;)
Attachments
iron-horse-2.2.0-alpha-3.tar
(18.63 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

Hi Andy! Grub is an interesting addition and could find it's own niche among the first generation of engines. The only problem is that it's too expensive to run. On my current game settings it would cost me 12,460 USD per year which is almost like 0-6-0 Gwynt (12,984 USD) with it's 1,115 HP against Grub's 253 HP.
It seems that Gronk's running cost is a bit too much compared to other engines as well.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Forgot to say earlier, the snowplough cargo is intentional, it's mostly stupid, but can be used to deliver supplies etc.

Maybe I should disable it in tropic though eh? :P
Lionic wrote: 24 Nov 2019 20:07 Hi Andy! Grub is an interesting addition and could find it's own niche among the first generation of engines. The only problem is that it's too expensive to run.
Good spot, thanks. Here's a version where running costs of Grub and Gronk are about the same as narrow gauge trains. They're not intended to be very useful, but they're not intended to be useless :D
Attachments
iron-horse-2.2.0-alpha-4.tar
(18.63 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

andythenorth wrote: 24 Nov 2019 20:32 Maybe I should disable it in tropic though eh? :P
Then what will we use to clear out sandstorms?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 24 Nov 2019 19:38 Yes, that's a good idea, BAD FEATURE multiplied.
The madman actually did it! :shock: Thanks very much!

More bugs :twisted:

- Alpha 4 displays as Alpha 3

- Modern DVT has a pink stripe above it in this angle and livery variant
pinkdvt.PNG
pinkdvt.PNG (15.1 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
- Zeus power value is wrong, it says 800 hp on electric but 850 hp in the Power stat, when you build it it has 800.

- And the big one... this set isn't fully compatible with Japan Set Tracks. I believe this is because JapTracks uses a different railtype label scheme compared to others, but it's one of my most-used railtype sets because it has everything I need and is very customisable. I only realised it when modern faster railtypes started coming out because the standard slow electrified railtype uses the default labels and therefore functions as expected.

Some things I have observed from my cursory testing:

Shoeboxes and Revolution only get power boost on the default electrified track. They revert to diesel mode on modern and high speed electrified track.

Zeus and Pylon get a power boost on all railtypes EXCEPT default unelectrified track. (Including 3rd rail) However visually they stay in diesel mode (with smoke and pantos down) on all except default electrified track.

Narrow gauge and 3rd rail seem to function as expected otherwise. Normal electric locomotives are powered just fine on the custom tracktypes.

I don't know how hard it is to add this compatibility to what I assume is already a very complex railtypetable, I'll test other track sets as well to see if any more issues arise.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 26 Nov 2019 09:27 - Modern DVT has a pink stripe above it in this angle and livery variantpinkdvt.PNG
- Zeus power value is wrong, it says 800 hp on electric but 850 hp in the Power stat, when you build it it has 800.
Thanks.

2.2.0-alpha-5 attached. Fixes those 2 bugs. Some other stuff changed too. :)
iron-horse-2.2.0-alpha-5.tar
(18.76 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
- And the big one... this set isn't fully compatible with Japan Set Tracks
I'll need to come back to this another time - it was a known issue for electric trains :)

Depends on https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/7000
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Working on torpedo cars eh ;)

Used for molten iron.
torpedo_cars_2.png
torpedo_cars_2.png (28.07 KiB) Viewed 6473 times

Also done some slag ladle cars. For slag.
Attachments
slag_ladle_cars.png
slag_ladle_cars.png (28.12 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

It's a shame you can't have a MASSIVE explosion if one of these crashes!
Molten iron? FIRS 4 steeltown?
Looks great!
nihues
Engineer
Engineer

Post by nihues »

Hello Andy, I've posted on JGR a save file that maybe it's IH bug, after template replacement using Snowplough + Peasweep (also changed all tracks to electric), the trains seems not want to go to depot/maintence anymore. Before was using a 1 head only template replacement and was all fine.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469&p=1227695#p1227695

EDIT: Found the issue... was the Maintenance order (or seems that any depot order), it disable the auto maintenance for trains... after removing that order all working.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

While looking for the railway set for a scenario, I found some bug related to train speeds.
Others speed are in the window of available trains , others are given in the train information window, and other speeds are reached.
Speed bug.PNG
Speed bug.PNG (170.2 KiB) Viewed 6252 times
I didn't look at everything but I noticed the problem with the following locomotives:
Geronimo 168/120
Dover 168/120
Breeze 186/140
Jupiter 186/140
Zeus 202/154
Pylon 202/185/154
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

LaChupacabra wrote: 19 Dec 2019 21:58 While looking for the railway set for a scenario, I found some bug related to train speeds.
Possibly a BAD FEATURE turned bug? :lol:
Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Comm Cody »

andythenorth wrote: 25 Dec 2019 23:12 So how many wagon types is too many? :twisted:

[I'm adding moar]
double deck passenger wagons with DVT and DMU/EMU combos or riot
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Well, according to google...
max.PNG
max.PNG (15.93 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
There's no such thing as too many! I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!
Oh, and a slightly late merry christmas!
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The Athena also shows a different speed limit: advertised at 60 mph in the depot, but it'll do 90. A pleasant surprise!
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

I can beat that! the cargo capacity is displayed wrong on the freight DMUs. Apprently the Scooby can hold 230 crates of supplies! the capacity in game is fine.

Also, how about a new class of loco? Hill climbing. High horsepower, very high tractive effort, low top speed. Designed for short routes with very heavy freight and climbing steep hills.

Back to wagon types, rather than all having the same speed and capacity, how about some with high capacity and low speed. so you'll then have 3 tiers. Express, standard, and heavy haul. Maybe start with the coil carriers?
Attachments
The Snow Shifters, 26th Mar 1958.png
(372.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Diesel Power wrote: 01 Jan 2020 07:47 I can beat that! the cargo capacity is displayed wrong on the freight DMUs. Apprently the Scooby can hold 230 crates of supplies! the capacity in game is fine.
That's a bit special, also the default cargo should usually be Mail. Is that FIRS Extreme economy?
Back to wagon types, rather than all having the same speed and capacity, how about some with high capacity and low speed. so you'll then have 3 tiers. Express, standard, and heavy haul. Maybe start with the coil carriers?
Considering it for North American Horse, drag freight vs. priority freight, possibly with railtypes to match. Might suck, dunno, worth a try though.
2TallTyler wrote: 30 Dec 2019 21:32 The Athena also shows a different speed limit: advertised at 60 mph in the depot, but it'll do 90. A pleasant surprise!
That's a bug that I've fixed for the next release....but it's given me an idea for a new train :D

Return to “Graphics Development”