2CC Trams 0.9c & 2CC Cargo Trams v0.8r

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] 2CC|Trams - Nightly Betas Now Released

Post by Arnoud »

I have another update:

Implemented: visual effects (sparks) for electric trams

Source code: changed comments to added code into more usefull ones.

It is alltogether possible that I missed a tram or 2, so I guess this needs testing.
2cctrams-nrt4.grf
4th version for NRT 0.4
(455.3 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
trams-2cc.nml
source code
(491.47 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Coder for the 2cc trams (passenger) and the 2cc cargo trams
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

After many hours of trying, giving up and trying again I finally succeeded in coding the Amsterdam Cargotram 9G

Considering that the cargotrams have been waiting for a coder for several years now I think you guys are happy with me coding them?

This tram is not completely finished, I would like some feedback with regard to the goods it is allowed to carry, for now it's default cargo is cattle and it can be refitted to a few more.
Edit: maybe make it refittable to anything except passengers?
Edit2 maybe allso exclude liquids?

This appears as a separate graphic from the passenger trams, as 2cc CargoTramset 0.1.

Source code: removed original sprite coding and replaced it by easier to understand code.
cargotrams1.grf
Cargotrams version 0.1
(4.35 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

Another update for the Cargotrams

-changed cargo support to goods, mail and valuables classes.
-added Dresden CarGoTram.

Edit version 0.2b is a hotfix, both trams now appear again.
cargotrams2a.grf
2ccCargotrams version 0.2b
(11.33 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Hey guys!
First of all, thank you Arnoud!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

We've been stuck for soooo long.

Anyway, passenger trams are alredy fully playable, although there are bugs to solve. Cargo trams... that's the issue. They haven't been coded yet so any attempt is more than welcome.

Cargoes and capacities... I KNOW I have a table already prepared, let me find it and I'm sure it will help you a lot.

I'm really sorry that I mostly "out" of the game but I'll try to assist you as much as I can, just say what you need. :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Here is the spreadsheet with the trams, capacities and type: https://is.gd/LIpCBj

First tab is Cargo Trams, second tab is a breakdown of what cargo those trams should carry.
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

Thanks that was very helpfull, I will now code the trams according to that table.

With regard to the passenger set, yes I agree the effects and NRT compatibility were the only finishing touches it needed, I think they are finished now?

BTW if kamnet/voyager one want to upload my .grf's to the first post and bananas I am totally fine with that.

I have another update for the cargotrams, the new tram supports several more cargoes:

-added paper to existing trams
-added Paris L'Arpajonnais (steam)

Source code:
-added support for coding individual cargoes
-added support for unelectrified tram track
cargotrams3.grf
2cc Cargotrams version 0.3
(16.58 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(15.85 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Arnoud, one little remark, I need to explain you something.

You'll se bulk freight trams with "cargo" in fire-cycle colors. The idea behind it is as it was done in the Dutch trainset. There is in fact a single set of sprites but the actual color of the cargo gets set automatically.

Example:
Refitted to coal - use black/gray shades 1-8
Grain - use shades 1-8 og yellow
Etc...

I hope that won't be a problem for you. If you need it, I can compile you the exact schematics of colors to be used.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

Yes, the bulk trams require more complex coding, I havent tried to learn that yet.

First I will bring a few more of the box and tanker trams into the game, then I will try to learn how to code the bulk trams.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Arnoud wrote: 29 Nov 2019 17:23Yes, the bulk trams require more complex coding
Actually the idea is to have a simpler code. Don't ask me how, I know nothing about coding but the idea was implemented in the Dutch trainset. IIRC, the coder was Transportman, I'm sure he'll give you all the info you need.

P.S. Check your PM :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

Voyager One wrote: 30 Nov 2019 11:45
Arnoud wrote: 29 Nov 2019 17:23Yes, the bulk trams require more complex coding
Actually the idea is to have a simpler code. Don't ask me how, I know nothing about coding but the idea was implemented in the Dutch trainset. IIRC, the coder was Transportman, I'm sure he'll give you all the info you need.

P.S. Check your PM :wink:
Ah yes a colour scheme for the cargoes, yes that should prove very usefull.

I couldn't resist and read a part in the documentation about how to force a fixed recolour of sprites, I think I understand the theory.
What will be difficult I think is to figure out how to properly reference the location of the cargo only sprites in the sprites file.
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I have another update:

Total trams in the cargoset is now 8.
This requires Openttd version 1.10 (or up) and a newgrf that provides unelectrified tram track (this is compatible with all of them).
This allso supports firs/ecs.
2 details cost/capacities need some further finetuning.
Added the following 5 trams in this format; name/introduction date/traction/articulated.

- Portsmouth tanker tram/1903/electric/no
- Zutphen Vrijland/1904/steam/yes
- Manchester Parcels Tram/1905/electric/no
- Oradea Freight Service Tram/1906/electric/yes
- The Hague 2310/1927/electric/yes

Note that these early articulated vehicles can be refitted to almost all cargo types, so they should allready prove usefull in the era before proper trucks.
cargotrams4.grf
2cc Cargotrams version 0.4
(37.6 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(31.99 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Nudhead Transport, 3 Nov 2028.png
The vehicles so far
(199.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I have another update.

Fixed capacities bug and finetuned costs(not sure if they are 100% right, costs are not included in the documentation of this set) and model life.

I have allso been working on learning how to code open wagon trams and have added 2.
For now they have different graphics for empty and full, but not yet different colours for different cargoes.

I have added steel to the logging tram because with only wood it would not appear on temperate maps (with default industries), furthermore on generated arctic maps there seems to be some kind of bug causing forrests not to appear and this in turn caused this tram to not even appear there.
The sprites for cargo on this tram look like logs and these can be recoloured to look like steel bars in the future.
Because the logging trams are the only diesel trams in the set I am thinking about adding more cargoes to them, feedback regarding this is appreciated.
I am allso thinking about disallowing certain box trams to carry wood/steel, now that we have this tram for this.

Added trams:
- Wantage Freight tram/1881/steam/engine + 3 wagons
- Kiso logging tram/1916/diesel/engine + 4 wagons
cargotrams5.grf
2cc Cargotrams version 0.5
(53.28 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(41.69 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Arnoud wrote: 02 Dec 2019 15:02 ... allso thinking about disallowing certain box trams to carry wood/steel, now that we have this tram for this.
Before changing allowed cargos, we need to make a step back.

The idea behind all 2cc sets (trainset, trams, busses etc) was to replicate RL vehicles and their RL use. Therefore a "logging tram" is for logging, not for other uses, a "mining tram" is for bulk minerals, etc.

So, we need to decide on how to proceed about this...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Voyager One wrote: 02 Dec 2019 17:43
Arnoud wrote: 02 Dec 2019 15:02 ... allso thinking about disallowing certain box trams to carry wood/steel, now that we have this tram for this.
Before changing allowed cargos, we need to make a step back.

The idea behind all 2cc sets (trainset, trams, busses etc) was to replicate RL vehicles and their RL use. Therefore a "logging tram" is for logging, not for other uses, a "mining tram" is for bulk minerals, etc.

So, we need to decide on how to proceed about this...
In the regular 2CC Trams set we created a feature where any tram could be reconfigured to haul only passenger, only town cargo, or any cargo.

Many of those early 20th century trams were phased out of use mid-century, and we don't have similar real world trams to replace them with, so the only valid option for gameplay is to keep them in the game indefinitely. Due to the limited number of vehicles that we currently have, as well as their limited dates that they existed in real life, I'm okay with allowing them to be refit to similar cargo classes. As the set grows and research continued, we could re-examine this as we find new dedicated vehicles.

Something also to keep in mind is that, in most cases, these cargo trams were often just recycled from older trams that were scrapped or phased out of passenger service, reusing them for dedicated purposes extended the company's profits. Most common was to just gut the passenger space and retrofit it with sideboards to make a wagon, or to slap whatever equipment on it was necessary (repair tower, cranes, shovels, liquid tanks), leaving just the cab ends for operator workspace.
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I guess for the moment I won't make any more changes to cargoes other than the allready added steel to the logging trams.

In the meantime I found a rather large bug related to the visual effects (sparks, steam, smoke) I had coded.
It seems that not just the engine was producing them, but that the effect was being duplicated by all of the wagons.

This update fixes the issue, no new trams this time, sorry.
Edit: The Dresden Cargotram has sparks at the front and rear, this is intended, but not sure if this is a nice feature, it only has a panthograph at the front, will probably remove this feature in next build.
cargotrams6.grf
2cc Cargotrams version 0.6
(53.58 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(43.06 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Last edited by Arnoud on 04 Dec 2019 15:41, edited 3 times in total.
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I allso have an update for the passenger trams where the visual effect of the steam trams has been fixed.

I have not yet updated the electric trams because they will be a lot more work (much more vehicles).
2cctrams-nrt5.grf
2cc Passenger tramset version 0.5 for NRT
(512.18 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
trams-2cc.nml
source code
(479.48 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I've been mostly coding, but yesterday evening I took some time to actually play the game and test the cargotrams.

It seems like the cargo capacities were still not correct, they were much too low, some values were so low that certain trams had a capacity of 0.

This update kind of fixes that again, cargoes are still not completely accurate, and there might be a discrepancy between the cargo capacity in the buy menu compared to the refit capacity.

For now though at least this update will make the cargotrams playable again, in the next few days I will be busy with my job so it will probably be some time before I properly fix the issue.

I am allso aware that there are bugs in the compressed air trams from the passenger set, I think I know what's causing them and will fix this as soon as I find the time.
cargotrams6b.grf
2cc cargotrams version 0.6b
(53.57 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I have another update for the cargotrams.

The capacities have now been properly fixed.

Edit: tested with firs3
Attachments
cargotrams6c.grf
2cc Cargotrams version 0.6c
(53.67 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
cargotrams.nml
source code
(43.24 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by Arnoud on 08 Dec 2019 20:26, edited 2 times in total.
Arnoud
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arnoud »

I have a little request for the sprite drawers.

Today I have been trying to code one of the trams with 6 wagons.
The sprite file contains a sprite row for the engine, 6 rows for empty wagons and 6 rows for full wagons.
Because the total number of rows is considerably more than for the other vehicles they have been resized to all fit below one another.

Coding sprites that have been resized is a nightmare.
I have been trying to edit the template to compensate for the resizing for several hours now, (hours that I could have allso used to bring more trams into the game) but just like the documentation says this is very hard to do and I have had little success.. it's not that I dont understand the theory, its just hard to do.

I dont actually need this many sprites to code the vehicle though, I just need a row for the engine, a row for wagon empty and a row for wagon full; it is in fact better for game performance to replicate the wagons through coding rather than to load them all separately through drawing.

I am a coder, I know absolutely nothing about drawing, furthermore I dont have a steady hand and any artwork from me would look like that of a 2 year old.
It is probably not that difficult to remove the unneeded rows from the sprites file and resize the remaining to the same size as was used for all the other trams, I just dont know how, and considering that I'm no artist it seems like a waste for me to put effort into learning how a drawing program works.

So if a drawer could help me resize the sprites for the trams with 6 and 8 wagons that would be awesome.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Will do it as soon as possible, give me a day or two. :wink:
Leon

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”