Train Signals For double terminate?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

demrch
Engineer
Engineer

Train Signals For double terminate?

Post by demrch »

Hi, I'm relatively new to OpenTTD and I'm having a little trouble understanding train signals. I've watched throw a couple of tutorials on YouTube and I think I generally understand that they have two "lanes" one for trains coming and one for going. But sometimes I've got a train coming from both sides and I'm little lost as to what signals to use/how to use them.
I've got a small train network. Two stations attached to a factory. One of those lines go to a farm the other line goes to a steel production. Both terminate at the steel and the farm then come back to the factory. The other side of the two stations next to the factory takes goods to a city. I've got a path signal before the junction on the steel and farm line then when I put a path signal on the other side for the city side then the city train ends up in deadlock. Could anyone let me know how you'd set this up? I've thought about adding a 3rd station but that seems a bit overkill. Or maybe I'm thinking about the game mechanics wrong?
goods_network.jpg
goods_network.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Thank You!
kamnet

Re: Train Signals For double terminate?

Post by kamnet »

Put signals at the end of your platforms in both directions, signals facing inward.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Train Signals For double terminate?

Post by odisseus »

A good rule of thumb is to have separate stations for loading and unloading cargo. Otherwise it might happen that the loading trains will take all the platforms, and an incoming full train will not have a platform to unload. The loading trains would wait forever!

If you still decide to load and unload at the same station, make sure it is logically split into different parts, so that an empty train cannot enter platforms dedicated for unloading.

Here's an example of a station that consists of two logical parts. All signals visible are normal (not one-way) path signals.
simple-station.png
simple-station.png (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
The path signals facing away from the station allow each supply train to advance on its track up to the junction, even if the unloading platform is taken. However, this will work only as long as there is just one train serving each branch line.

When the industry production grows and the single train doesn't handle the supply anymore, the easiest thing to do is upgrading all branches to double track and building a two-way terminus.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”