WASD controls for map scrolling?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

WASD controls for map scrolling?

Post by DesertBus »

That would be a dream come true... And avoids carpal-tunnel-syndrome from developing having to move the wrist position all the time (for laptops without a mouse that is)
If I was using the Windows version I would use AutoHotkey to do that, but on Linux I'm not aware of how to assign keys in an easy convenient way.
"Watch that s***, cowboy"
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: WASD controls for map scrolling?

Post by Expresso »

I'd like an interface to configure/view all available hotkeys, with all different contexts (for example: think about the amount of uses for the ctrl key, I'd like to be able to change each and every individual binding, perhaps different for different contexts.
cmhbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cmhbob »

Expresso wrote: 25 Nov 2019 00:12 I'd like an interface to configure/view all available hotkeys, with all different contexts (for example: think about the amount of uses for the ctrl key, I'd like to be able to change each and every individual binding, perhaps different for different contexts.

You can edit hotkeys.cfg in your OpenTTD directory.

Note that W is currently the global hotkey for raising terrain
--
Bob
The wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...
Me, elsewhere
DesertBus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DesertBus »

cmhbob wrote: 25 Nov 2019 04:15 You can edit hotkeys.cfg in your OpenTTD directory.
Note that W is currently the global hotkey for raising terrain
That's not a straight out lie but it's not a proper answer either, because there are not "map scrolling" keys in the hotkeys file. That would have to be added to the game's executable. That's why I'm making the suggestion in the first place.

Besides, that "hotkeys.cfg" file is painful to edit because you have to edit keyboard bindings one by one. Like the other guy said there, it would be much easier to have a GUI interface to do this in the game, or at least have a file that comes empty, so we can add our own shortcuts to it, or a button that says "Clear all bindings", or "Save Template" inside the game, those are all within the realm of future possibilities, and would greatly enhance the user friendliness of the game.

In this same note, is there a way to slow-down mouse map scrolling at the corners of the screen? I feel it goes too fast.
"Watch that s***, cowboy"

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”