"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Comm Cody
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by Comm Cody »

andythenorth wrote: 11 Oct 2019 21:35 Is Gronk?

Doesn't make any gameplay sense. Should I? :twisted:

Fake stat: 35mph max speed.
I use Gronk for my "best damn shortline" moving metal to a metal foundry and then goods back to the steel mill for my engineering/goods/iron ore container train to move around the map.
Something goes here, hell if I know.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 11 Oct 2019 21:35 Is Gronk?

Doesn't make any gameplay sense. Should I? :twisted:
Throw in a saddle tank and a modern shunter to give him a family, he's all alone on that tech tree :D
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Nice DVT, will there be an earlier and later generation variant too? (i.e. a DBSO and a CAF-style DVT :wink: )

While i'm dispensing stupid suggestions, here are my thoughts on North American horse:
andythenorth wrote: 26 Aug 2019 21:53 I am open to ideas.

Thinking of splitting freight cars and engines two ways
  • Slow drag freight (refits all freight cargos)
  • Fast hotshot freight (lower capacity per car, not available for all freight cargo types)
This is an excuse to include a wider range of freight engines. The stats for engines that drag coal over a mountain in Virginia are historically different to high speed intermodal through the plains. At least until about 2010 when it’s all boring 6 axle 4000hp AC units :twisted:

There are a few challenges: North America had high maximum speeds (although not average speeds) for passenger and hotshot freight from about 1900 onwards, and real-life train speeds have broadly declined since 1950s. This is obviously a problem for gameplay progression, so there will have to be faking :twisted:

I also don’t know quite where railcars fit, if they’re rural or interurban, and whether they travel at freight train speed like UK Horse roster, or express train speed.
I think the solution is to have an extra speed tier.
  • Low speed: slow drag. Able to carry anything at high capacities.
  • Medium speed: Fast freight and commuter. Able to carry more cargos than express trains (i.e. able to carry processed cargos like steel or parts and maybe farm produce, but not raw cargos like coal or ores. Or perhaps it could carry all cargos but at a lower capacity than drag freight.) Also commuter trains would fall under this speed; higher capacity wagons such as bilevels and also diesel and electric railcars for local routes.
  • High speed: Streamlined express trains. Luxury long distance passenger coaches and standard lower capacity passenger and express vans.
This way you can have slow and fast freight trains, and slow and fast passenger trains. but the passenger trains will always be available in a faster speed. It makes sense to be able to introduce fast trains early on to represent the golden era of American railroading. Perhaps the fast category could get merged with the medium speed one in the 1960s to represent the downfall, but for gameplay to continue the very high speed trains would get introduced at the same time.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 15 Nov 2019 05:59 Nice DVT, will there be an earlier and later generation variant too? (i.e. a DBSO and a CAF-style DVT :wink: )
There's a gen 6 version, it's not based on anything real.

Gen 6 DVT
Gen 6 DVT
driving_cab_car_2.png (83.53 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
I could also do a gen 4 like a DBSO, it will just look like the Scooby mail railcar though. Not against it. Or maybe a fake slopey thing?

Also considering the following Joker trains, but I think some of them are stupid, and I should draw other things like Unsinkable Sam, or NRT Road Hog or FIRS 4 or NA Horse :twisted:
  • Snowplough - no purpose, but probably will do it
  • Small tank engine, matching to Gronk - probably
  • Beavertail observation car (gen 3 only) - maybe
  • Cargo sprinter (similar to Horse 1) - probably not
  • Pacer (gen 5 only) - probably not
  • Steam railmotor - probably not
  • Ballast hopper - probably not, got enough wagon types
  • Breakdown crane - too hard to draw, no purpose
  • Self-discharge train conveyor wagon for use with hoppers - too hard to draw
  • Track machine - ballast regulator or something - probably not, no purpose
While i'm dispensing stupid suggestions, here are my thoughts on North American horse:
Agree with most of that. I'll think on. :)

I had another idea for NA Horse: light + heavy rail types. Generally I don't favour lots of railtypes, but might be interesting?
They'd just be speed limited, nothing fancy like axle weights.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

andythenorth wrote: 15 Nov 2019 21:33
  • Small tank engine, matching to Gronk - probably
Like a "Toby" (GER Class 53) or something?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Looks great! I think a flat front DBSO that looks like the mail railcar is good. Speaking of mail railcars - it would be neat if throwing mail MUs into a consist of same generation passenger MUs had the same cab sprite magic.
andythenorth wrote: 15 Nov 2019 21:33 I had another idea for NA Horse: light + heavy rail types. Generally I don't favour lots of railtypes, but might be interesting?
They'd just be speed limited, nothing fancy like axle weights.
Make sense for many US cities in the 90s - 00s, assuming you mean light rail as a passenger thing. Other way to look at things would be the US's odd insistence on heavy rail metro system even as heavy rail longer distance passenger rail atrophied - beyond NYC of course, many other eastern cities stuck to their heavy EMU based subways through the second half of the 20th century. Not sure how you might want to contrast that to the 'tube' trains in UK horse (even higher capacity and even worse aging?), or if you'd just reuse the same vehicles but with different names and more silver-y sprites....
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Look forward to seeing the snowplough in action :)
supermop wrote: 17 Nov 2019 23:57 Make sense for many US cities in the 90s - 00s, assuming you mean light rail as a passenger thing. Other way to look at things would be the US's odd insistence on heavy rail metro system even as heavy rail longer distance passenger rail atrophied - beyond NYC of course, many other eastern cities stuck to their heavy EMU based subways through the second half of the 20th century. Not sure how you might want to contrast that to the 'tube' trains in UK horse (even higher capacity and even worse aging?), or if you'd just reuse the same vehicles but with different names and more silver-y sprites....
I'd have thought the Metros would be based off something like the NY Subway or Chicago El, but the heavy railcars would be much faster and based off trains such as the MP54, Silverliner or M8. Perhaps there could be double decker railcars too?

Found another bug: the Scooby mail railcar looks like the passenger version depending on the angle (version 2.1.1)
scooby.PNG
scooby.PNG (30.96 KiB) Viewed 6945 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

supermop wrote: 17 Nov 2019 23:57 Looks great! I think a flat front DBSO that looks like the mail railcar is good.
The electric mail railcar has a stupid feature where you can already use it as a cab car. Stupidest feature in Horse :twisted:
Make sense for many US cities in the 90s - 00s, assuming you mean light rail as a passenger thing.
It would be more like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_spee ... ck_classes
But just 2 classes: slow (cheap) / fast (expensive). ;)
IRL it would be about rail weight, signalling, grades etc. But in-game that much detail is overkill.
So just 2 types, but they'd need el/non-el versions.
Metro would continue to be a separate railtype.
Emperor Jake wrote: 20 Nov 2019 07:49 Found another bug: the Scooby mail railcar looks like the passenger version depending on the angle (version 2.1.1)
Super! I'll fix that. Good spot, thanks. :)
phobos2077
Engineer
Engineer

Post by phobos2077 »

What's the deal with wagons having randomized colors? Would be nice to have an option to turn this feature off as it makes trains look a bit ugly.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

phobos2077 wrote: 20 Nov 2019 18:44 What's the deal with wagons having randomized colors? Would be nice to have an option to turn this feature off as it makes trains look a bit ugly.
Two options:
  • flip the colour of individual wagons with ctrl-click in depot (in some cases this sets an alternative livery though)
  • set wagon company colours both the same in colour/livery settings window
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 20 Nov 2019 08:09 Super! I'll fix that. Good spot, thanks.
Just found out the Dover does it as well, but only in the alternate livery (which is why I didn't spot it while testing before)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Test release attached - 2.2.0-alpha-2

Some stuff changed in the Iron Horse compile. Needs user testing.

Does the version get reported correctly in-game? Anything look wrong in the newgrf settings window?
Attachments
iron-horse-2.2.0-alpha-2.tar
(18.6 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

So far, so good:
  • version gets correctly reported in game
  • clicking "update" in the NewGRF list replaces correctly Iron Horse 2.1.1 with this new version
  • and it seems to work in game also

Return to “Graphics Development”