NewGRF

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Weareallthesame
Engineer
Engineer

NewGRF

Post by Weareallthesame »

Hi peeps,

I’m currently running the zBase graphic set of the game and I’m unable to use any GRFs. They show as active in the NewGRF Settings (accessed on the home page), I click on Apply and when trying to access or utilise any GRFs from within the game, the list is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kamnet

Re: NewGRF

Post by kamnet »

Please upload a save game, and state which version of OpenTTD you're using?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

NewGRF settings are local to each savegame and cannot be changed after starting, so changing NewGRFs in the main menu won't affect any existing saves, only new ones.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Andrew350 wrote: 02 Nov 2019 22:33 NewGRF settings are local to each savegame and cannot be changed after starting, so changing NewGRFs in the main menu won't affect any existing saves, only new ones.
It's probably this, yes.

You select the NewGRFs you want to play with from the main menu, then you create a new game, and then you can use those NewGRFs in that game.
It's a very bad idea to try to add/change NewGRFs in an ongoing game, which is why it's hard to do.
Weareallthesame
Engineer
Engineer

Thank you all for responding. I wasn’t aware that NewGRF could only be added to a new game. That’s a shame.

Weareallthesame
Engineer
Engineer

I know that GRFs are not compatible with ongoing games and I can enable them for new games but is there a way to switch them on for custom built scenarios?

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Weareallthesame wrote: 10 Aug 2020 08:59 I know that GRFs are not compatible with ongoing games and I can enable them for new games but is there a way to switch them on for custom built scenarios?
Just like with starting a new game, you need to load all the NewGRFs you want to use before creating a new scenario in the Scenario Editor.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

One thing you can try doing is save the existing scenario as a heightmap (via the scenario editor).
Then go back to the main menu, and set up your NewGRFs.
Then start the scenario editor again (so you get a blank map with your new NewGRF settings).
Then load the heightmap you just saved.

Yes that will lose all towns, industries, roads, and other objects on the map. That's the point, a NewGRF can alter any of those, making the existing objects on the map invalid. It's not possible to fully predict what will happen ahead of time, that's why changing NewGRF settings from within the editor is just not allowed.
Weareallthesame
Engineer
Engineer

Awesome. Thank you both.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”