Why isn't my town growing at all?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Smartiebot
Engineer
Engineer

Why isn't my town growing at all?

Post by Smartiebot »

I deliverd everything theyre asking for, have loads of vehicles and have build roads, but still...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
(774.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Why isn't my town growing at all?

Post by mak »

A guess, probably a technical answer will follow, the town is very noisy and it also takes time for the growth to start.
Smartiebot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Smartiebot »

But when the noise level was 0 and I delivered everything it still didn't grow, and I've waited big time.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Noise level does not affect town growth, at least not under standard rules.

Keep delivering water and food, and keep picking up passengers from within the town, it really should grow then.
Town growth in general depends on the town having many stations with frequent pick-ups. In desert towns growth is then modified by a requierment for water and food, or above the snow-line a requirement for just food.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Any game scripts active?

Usually it helps a lot to (also) provide savegames when asking these kinds of question.
AndreasBerlin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AndreasBerlin »

Town growth of Timley is blocked by railway-tracks in West and South, by a mountain in East and the streetvehicle-Depot in the North.

For a good town growth you need more than several connected stations: A good street scheme is needed too.

Buld streets with bridges to the West and South and displace the depot in the left of Timley North and build a street leading from the centre of Timley to the North. This gives Timley room to grow...

Most houses will be build on streets comming directly from the town center. On streets with no connection to the town center no houses will be build.
The probability for bulding a house in an algorithmic circle of the city-ai is high when many streets leading in every direction out of the center.

Building of "good" streets is essential for building big cities. In my resent game (solo game, no player-ai'sm swedish and dutch houses newgrf) I have 3 cities with a populaion of 2, 4 and 5 million inhabitants... (using a big map).
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

As far as I know, the growth rate is updated every month. This means that if you haven't delivered food or water in the last month, the town will not be growing in the current month.

On the other hand, the messages about food and water are updated immediately after each cargo has been delivered. However, this will affect growth only in the next month.

For steady growth, make sure both food and water are delivered to your town at least once every month. The amount of cargo doesn't matter at all — one unit per month is enough for continuous growth. Conversely, delivering 1000 units once per year would make your town grow just for one month each year.

If your cargo arrives in large batches, it is easy to spread it over time by transferring it to a nearby station and setting up a short truck route which would distribute the cargo at a slower pace.

The other comments state correctly that town growth can be stunted due to lack of free land or a poor road plan. The town could be constantly building new houses over existing ones, and the actual population would increase very slowly, or not at all.
Last edited by odisseus on 20 Dec 2019 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sparvass
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sparvass »

I may be dumber than a locomotive, but the needs and cargo for a town. Why can't I see that? Is that a patch or a setting?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Sparvass wrote: 19 Dec 2019 22:39 I may be dumber than a locomotive, but the needs and cargo for a town. Why can't I see that? Is that a patch or a setting?
In the standard game food and water for growth is only required by towns in the desert in the tropic landscape, or above the snowline in the arctic landscape.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”