Do you support me to dev OpenTTD for iOS?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Do you support me to dev OpenTTD for iOS?

Post by jfs »

Remember there's been cases of major game developers releasing almost-copies of successful/good indie games, and because of the major developer's higher marketing budget their game ended up drowning the indie game. Despite the indie game being on the market first, and possibly being a better game too.
I think Apple did later change their policy to attempt to prevent that behaviour, in effect being something akin to patents: First on market gets to be exclusive.
It sounds very much like that kind of policy they're shooting you down by.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Also, under what name are you trying to submit the game? (Ideally not "OpenTTD" on its own!) Prior experience would suggest you will not succeed due to the GPL issue, anyway, but yes, it's possible the presence of regular "Transport Tycoon" may be an issue too.
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

I use name "OpenTTD: Transport Tycoon" in App Store, but now they just tell me mine is a spam, not details are given.
It will be good if they tell me how to fix to pass the review, they just let me guess :<
I've asked if they could tell me the details, now wait for the reply.
orudge wrote: 11 Oct 2019 11:11 Also, under what name are you trying to submit the game? (Ideally not "OpenTTD" on its own!) Prior experience would suggest you will not succeed due to the GPL issue, anyway, but yes, it's possible the presence of regular "Transport Tycoon" may be an issue too.
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

Yes. the Transport Tycoon By 31x Limited for example. now I think I need to do a try, since OpenTTD is a great unique game, not a SPAM.
jfs wrote: 11 Oct 2019 09:12 Remember there's been cases of major game developers releasing almost-copies of successful/good indie games, and because of the major developer's higher marketing budget their game ended up drowning the indie game. Despite the indie game being on the market first, and possibly being a better game too.
I think Apple did later change their policy to attempt to prevent that behaviour, in effect being something akin to patents: First on market gets to be exclusive.
It sounds very much like that kind of policy they're shooting you down by.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Aha. Yeah, your inclusion of "Transport Tycoon" is what did it. Leave it out. The game's official title is OpenTTD. It's not an acronym, it isn't shorthand for anything.

I wonder if there would be any objection if you renamed it "Locomotion"? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (No, don't actually do that).
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The names "Transport Tycoon" and "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" are trademarks, and OpenTTD has no right whatsoever to use them.
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

The Apple review team gave me a call and said:
1. Someone has uploaded OpenTTD(app base on OpenTTD source code) to AppStore. But they denied all of them.
2.Lots of apps in the AppStore have similar game play.
3.I can not upload anymore, or they'll terminate the account.

:<
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Okay, so develop it for sideloading. We can advertise the heck out of it ourselves. :)
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

Here's my source code. Hope someday I can see OpenTTD available on the iOS App Store, and merge into the trunk :)
https://github.com/dreammakerwh/OpenTTD-ios
orudge wrote: 26 Sep 2019 15:41 As things stand, no, you won't be able to. However, if you can release the source code, dedicated users can build it themselves and deploy it to their own devices. We can also look at merging the code into trunk. Thanks for your work! :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Awesome! Work on fixing any outstanding bugs, build a binary, teach people how to sideload it, and you're in business. :)
HiTTd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HiTTd »

:>. Hope some day we can free to get the OpenTTD from the iOS App Store.
kamnet wrote: 16 Oct 2019 07:41 Awesome! Work on fixing any outstanding bugs, build a binary, teach people how to sideload it, and you're in business. :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That’s unfortunate, but not unexpected. I’ll clone your repository and take a look at it when I get a chance, see if I can get it working on my iPhone!
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Sideloading is not user-friendly, ideally it should be working after single button tap.

Another option is WebAssembly, this way we don't need to use Apple Store at all (and pay them $100/year)

Can someone please try to open WebAssembly version on their iPad? If that works, all we need to do is compile touch-optimized version and add multitouch handling.

https://milek7.pl/openttd-wasm/
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Trouble with browser versions: Savegames, mods (NewGRF, AI, GS), multiplayer are all difficult to support well.

Anything implemented via file storage in a native version would either need some odd integration with the browser's file picker, and probably be difficult to navigate, or would need to work with HTML5 localstorage which has no good way of importing/exporting saves to files.

Multiplayer will need to proxy through the server hosting the app.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

pelya wrote: 17 Oct 2019 14:08 Sideloading is not user-friendly, ideally it should be working after single button tap.
It may not be user friendly, but hundreds of thousands of iOS users (maybe millions?) do it every day. It's the most direct method of getting the game out on iOS.

Return to “General OpenTTD”