Why local authorities hate me?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Cool Loser
Engineer
Engineer

Why local authorities hate me?

Post by Cool Loser »

I thought it was only one town where I've been trying to improve a station for a while, but just before opening this thread I've checked the Towns tab and I've discovered that many towns hate me. Some with services, some without them. I only destroy that couple of squares that you usually need in order to place your station, and I have "very good" rating for passengers as well as mail in many if not every single town. I've read the wiki and still don't have an idea of why they hate me. What factors may make local authorities dislike you?
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Why local authorities hate me?

Post by _dp_ »

Here: https://wiki.openttd.org/Game_mechanics ... ity_rating

Basically there are two rating killers: destroying trees and unused stations.
Similarly if you want to get rating you need to plant trees and/or make some active stations.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Removing buildings and town-owned roads also lower your rating. It's really best to find somewhere to build your stations that require a minimum of "remodeling", ideally you build a large train station with through tracks near the town while it's small. Then 30 years later it will have grown larger and built around your station which is now central and not on the outskirts.

And always start out with a small bus route inside a town, it serves two purposes: Helps the town grow, and steadily improves your rating with the town.
Cool Loser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cool Loser »

As I said, the only things I destroyed were maybe 2 squares of road in this town and 1 building in that town. I'd have to check it out, but I'd say all of my stations are active, hence my "very good" rating in almost all of them. You don't have many choices to build your stations, especially if they are to receive goods or gold, which need it to be near the center of town.

Cheers.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Remember to build the stations in/near the towns first. Building track/roads first may well destroy your rating to the level that you won't be allowed to build stations. It used to happen to me a lot!

Building a small in-town bus route will quickly improve your rating. The buses may well just break even but you will soon get GOOD or better ratings and then you can do whatever you wish. If your rating won't allow stations to be built (you need at least a POOR rating) then plant a few trees.

Having a bus route between two towns would be even better (more profit) but just concentrate on a single town if that's the one where you need the rating improvement.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We could use a savegame here so that we can check it out.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Cool Loser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Cool Loser »

Thanks guys. I've started yet another game and the first thing I've done is to set bus routes connecting each major city with their closest town, while I focus on making money with freight trains. It seems to work fine so far.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”