"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by trainman1432 »

I'd say just making a checklist of materials and cargoes and their corresponding (open) wagons to double-check before packaging?

I'd assume the 2.x versions should largely be for the new rosters right?
Jetrain
YATTC
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

trainman1432 wrote: 10 Aug 2019 16:15I'd say just making a checklist of materials and cargoes and their corresponding (open) wagons to double-check before packaging?
I do actually need to finish cargo support before releasing 2.0.0 :twisted:

Meanwhile, 2.0.0 Beta 2 now on Bananas. Mostly improvements to steam, diesel smoke etc :wink:
  • improved position of vehicle visual effects for many vehicles
  • tweaks to Bean Feast sprites
  • updated translations from web translators
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Does this buy menu text for Very High Speed trains make sense?

These trains have distributed power, attaching dedicated middle units to the correct cab increases the total power of the train. Easy to do in-game, hard to explain in short words.

distributed_power_text.png
distributed_power_text.png (287.16 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Makes sense to me.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.0.0 Beta 3 now on Bananas.

All wagons should now show either specific or generic sprites for all cargos. I also fixed a silly bug with engine smoke, plus a few other things. Give it a go :)

Unless new bugs are found, this is the last beta before a 2.0.0 release :twisted:

Changes from 2.0.0 Beta 2
  • show distributed power values in buy menu for cab and middle units of very high speed trains
  • add dedicated mail livery for gen 3 mail cars
  • update Ares livery to match gen 3 passenger and mail cars
  • update Gowsty mail livery to match gen 3 passenger and mail cars
  • cargo sprites complete for
    • alloy steel
    • carbon steel
    • copper
    • coffee
    • fruit
    • logs
    • lumber
    • nuts
    • paper
    • stainless steel
    • steel
  • generic cargo sprites complete for
    • barrels
    • crates
    • tarps
  • tweaks to multiple sprites
  • fix steam engine tenders showing smoke
  • updated translations from web translators
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Arikover discovered a bug in 2.0.0 Beta 3 :twisted:

Iron Horse earliest start date is given as 1860, but due to randomisation of intro dates, some vehicles might not be available in 1860. This can cause the situation where there are engines but no suitable wagons, or similar situations. The missing vehicles will become available over time, the 1860 trains should all be introduced by June 1861 or so.

This won't be fixed for Iron Horse 2.0.0, but I will fix it in a later release. The workaround for 2.0.0 is just to let the game run a bit, or start later than 1860. :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I could test it. What's the most likely thing to have a bug?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

andythenorth wrote: 15 Aug 2019 21:02 No more bugs then? :shock:
Actually I've got one minor issue, do not know if you are going to fix it. Sometimes tender overlaps the Spinner engine, sometimes not. I have attached screenshot, hopefully you'll understand what I mean.
Attachments
spinner.png
spinner.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Minor graphical goof:

When the final generation luxury passenger coach turns a corner, the doors switch sides. (Happens on both end coaches)
ih-wagon.png
ih-wagon.png (109.42 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
I'm enjoying playing with this set very much btw, it makes playing with expiry and wagon speed limits on actually fun :D
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 22 Aug 2019 14:16 When the final generation luxury passenger coach turns a corner, the doors switch sides. (Happens on both end coaches)
Thanks! Really hard to spot these, there are so many coaches with so many variants :twisted: Will be fixed for 2.0.0 release.
Emperor Jake wrote: 22 Aug 2019 14:16 I'm enjoying playing with this set very much btw, it makes playing with expiry and wagon speed limits on actually fun :D
Thanks :D It’s the first newgrf I’ve made that I’m actually happy with :twisted:

Speaking of thanks, a few more, in no particular order:
  • @danmack for having the idea for Iron Horse, and for drawing all the version 1 sprites
  • @peter1138 for the group liveries feature and being one of the people who keeps OpenTTD dying-but-not-dead :)
  • @Eddi for reliable clear thinking and taking interest in silly problems
  • @frosch123 for making a number of suggestions about the structure of the tech tree in Iron Horse 2
  • @alberth for rewriting the makefile
  • @pikkabird for inspiration, and sprites I’ve repurposed
  • @supermop for subconsciously inspiring me to put HSTs back after I deleted them
  • also anyone I’ve forgotten, and all the translators
Cheers :wink:
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

NORTH AMERICAN HORSE NEXT THEN :twisted:

I am open to ideas.

Iron Horse is not what Pikka calls a “survey set” featuring only realistic trains with realistic stats. There are better grfs for that :)

Featured trains for Iron Horse are either iconic “my favourite train” or “could have been” fake trains that fit gameplay.

Tech tree looks like it will be similar to UK Horse v2 e.g.
  • Railcars - diesel & electric - pax / mail / limited freight
  • Express engines & coaches - pax and mail, limited freight
  • Metro - pax, mail, limited freight
  • Dedicated high speed pax trains
Thinking of splitting freight cars and engines two ways
  • Slow drag freight (refits all freight cargos)
  • Fast hotshot freight (lower capacity per car, not available for all freight cargo types)
This is an excuse to include a wider range of freight engines. The stats for engines that drag coal over a mountain in Virginia are historically different to high speed intermodal through the plains. At least until about 2010 when it’s all boring 6 axle 4000hp AC units :twisted:

There are a few challenges: North America had high maximum speeds (although not average speeds) for passenger and hotshot freight from about 1900 onwards, and real-life train speeds have broadly declined since 1950s. This is obviously a problem for gameplay progression, so there will have to be faking :twisted:

I also don’t know quite where railcars fit, if they’re rural or interurban, and whether they travel at freight train speed like UK Horse roster, or express train speed.

Finally there’s potential for the US roster to be very big. USA & canada obviously have very extensive rail systems, and there are many interesting things that could be included.

Notably there was a big overlap between insanely fast powerful steam locomotives and early diesels.

There are also a lot more potential electric locomotives to include than might be first thought: US has mostly de-electrifed except for pax trains, but until 1980 there are also very many interesting electric freight engines.

This means that sometimes there might be overlapping choices for engines. But a goal for Horse is “no boring choices” for engines & wagons. This means (1) differences between vehicles should be obvious, not tiny, and not boring economic factors (2) nothing should be nerfed and pointless (3) if vehicles are similar, make the stats identical and choose based on which one looks nicest today :twisted: So eh, I have to think a bit about balance.

I leave it there for now. I don’t need specific engine requests. :wink: But I do welcome thoughts on North American tech tree structure from users of UK roster in Horse v2 betas. :bow:
Last edited by andythenorth on 27 Aug 2019 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Just a question : although I did understand speeds won't be realistic, since metros in North America are generally way faster than those you would find in Europe, will the NA roster have faster metros than the UK roster ? IIRC some metros in NA can go past 100kph (about 120kph for some Washington metro units) while I think all LU rolling stock never got past 90 or 100kph.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The "auto detect" feature in Nutracks doesn't work on this set. As it is, in the 1900s I've got 75mph trains and only 50mph tracks to run them on. Is this a IH problem or a Nutracks one?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Diesel Power wrote: 31 Aug 2019 09:46 The "auto detect" feature in Nutracks doesn't work on this set. As it is, in the 1900s I've got 75mph trains and only 50mph tracks to run them on. Is this a IH problem or a Nutracks one?
Good question :)

I’m going to say it’s a Nutracks problem, although I haven't tested it. I’m not aware of anything in the train newgrf spec that can be used for auto detecting railtypes.

If I’ve missed something, happy to take another look :)
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

Hi andy! I wish you good luck with creating North American project.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Sounds cool, apologies for lack of recent feedback on Horse versions, I have been crazy busy.

Maybe some sort of realistic parameter on some later locos allowing users to have their speed turned down later in-game - or not?

Return to “Graphics Development”