Eminent domain

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Eminent domain

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Was experimenting to see how big I could make a single city by funnelling nearly every resource into it, and when I hit 15,000 I tried to add a second airport connected to the first to handle the hordes of passengers, since all the planes are now logjammed overhead. I discovered that even with outstanding reputation I couldn't clear enough houses to add a new airport. It would be cool if there was an option to pay fair value for property to demolish it without making the town angry. It would be a lot more expensive than just mass-bombing houses, but would be a viable option when you need to clear space for something lucrative and important.
Last edited by L. Spooner Inc on 19 Aug 2019 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Eminent domain

Post by jfs »

That could perhaps be interesting, yes. Let me extend the idea so you mark out an area of land and make an offer for purchase price + demolition cost. After accepting the offer there will be a period (maybe 6 months) where the formalities are processed, and after this period the entire land area is demolished and becomes your owned land.
The processing period could allow for other companies to make counter-offers (but that may not be fun), and it might require a sufficiently high standing in the local authority to even begin the process.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Eminent domain

Post by _dp_ »

FYI unless you're using CB gamescript town growth doesn't depend on amount of cargo you transport. All you need to get over 1mil population is a good road layout.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”