How did you get into OpenTTD?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

delibelly
Engineer
Engineer

How did you get into OpenTTD?

Post by delibelly »

Hi all,

First time posting here. Just wondering how you all got into OpenTTD?

Mine was from years ago with the original TT. My uncle moved down near where i was living. I must of been 12ish and i remember going around with my parents for his famous curry. He asked if i wanted to play a game on his PC and he showed me this wonderful game. It came on floppy disks and that was it, i was drawn in. Sadly he passed away 8 years later. So whenever i fire up OpenTTD now, the managers name is always his.

How did you get into it?
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: How did you get into OpenTTD?

Post by trainman1432 »

I was really young and trying to find games about trains. After endless searching, I found myself at the OpenTTD website and picked it up.
Jetrain
YATTC
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

I was browsing google play store about 5 years ago and happened to come across it. Installed it, then played it. By Christmas of 2014 I was already well into the game, and had even downloaded it onto my laptop.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

A very clever man sent me an ICQ (remember that?) saying he'd been working on a TTD clone and would I like to have a look at it. The rest, as they say, is history. ;)
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Original Transport Tycooon Deluxe -player. Started way back in 1996.
During 2000-2009 I had no PC when living on my own for the first time. When I finally had a PC I tried to install the game, didn't work anymore...
Searching for a solution I started using Google, and Google became my friend. I found OpenTTD almost instantly.

I'm not anywhere near developing the game, just still loving the game.
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Found a demo version of TT in a games magazine in the december edition of 1994. It crashed reproducable a few minutes after the program start but it got me. The full version, I bought a few months later, ran without problems. I never played TTD but in 2006 I found OpenTTD and since then ...

Tschö, Auge
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Got the original TTO - I think it was the first full-price PC game I ever bought, but it's been too long to be sure - then later TTD. After that stopped running so well on then-modern PCs I started using patch. OpenTTD only started to interest me after it clearly moved ahead of Patch in terms of features. Well, it still doesn't allow for building-over-tunnels (I think) or programmable-signals, but it's made up a ton of other stuff since then obviously ^^
lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostpawn »

Like Auge, Way back, I found somewehere a demo version on a floppy disk. The DOS version but already with multiple 'windows' . I was hooked immediately. It is my favourite game of all times.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

I just typed "urban simulation game" because I didn't even remember SimCity (yes, until some time, I never knew SimCity existed) but wanted to download SimCity 4 and that's how I found OpenTTD. Don't ask me more about this story.
Postapocalyptic Pete
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Postapocalyptic Pete »

Played a port of the original TT on the Playstation in 1997 (12th Birthday present) and soon picked up TTD on the PC.

22 years later I am still playing OTTD, having passed the habit on to my best mate and his girlfriend (Now wife) during a time sharing a flat and now my son.

In all that time I have still to see the benefit of building ships...
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I never had room in my place for a model train set, so looked for train based game to play on computer.

First had the DOS versions on 5 1/4" disks of Railway Tycoon and Transport Tycoon.

Thanks to many of the members of the forums several years ago I started to learn how to make my own add-ons (newgrf files).

Not sure if can make add-ons for the Railway Tycoons.

Here I am 64 years young and still enjoying it.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wuzzy »

Well, for me, it's basically the Internet, and knowing of TTD.

Years ago, I found a CD of TTD lying around, not knowing what it is, and I gave it a try. It was a cool game and still is.
Then later, I found TTDPatch in the Internet and played around with all those crazy settings. I really loved that you can change every little parameter. I don't know how I found TTDPatch, I guess I was just browsing the Internet on anything TTD.
Eventually, OpenTTD came along and I've been following development ever since its very early days. I guess you just cannot not hear of OpenTTD when you used TTDPatch. And now look what it has become! :)

OpenTTD is such a great improvement over TTD.

I have been playing TTD/OpenTTD quite rarely and on and off. I do play a ton of other games. :P
beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beeurd »

I literally cannot remember how I first came across the original Transport Tycoon. I do remember carrying it around on a floppy disk so I could play it at school though, in the pre-widespread-Internet-use 90s.
I moved on to Transport Tycoon Deluxe, which I must have logged many many hours, because even now when I load OpenTTD I still hear the TTD version of the intro music in my head.
I think I must have come across TTDpatch when I got the Internet at home in around 2001, although I'm not sure on the year, and moved on to OpenTTD when that appeared.
Every so often I burn myself out on the game and take a longish break, then get the itch again and check if there are new updates (which there usually is), and then I update and get addicted again for a while.
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

I was playing some RT2 and RT3 and happened across this. The graphics looked dated, but mechanics and UI are superb.
JLC1990
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JLC1990 »

It might be almost 20 years, since my uncle brought 4 floppy discs with TTO :bow: Later when upgraded to Win XP i found out that TTD Patch exists and that there is some OTTD 0.7 which kinda sucks (in that time) :D And even that I'm playing twice per year for few days or week i have most updated OTTD all the time with me.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

My dad used to play the old TTO back when I was 3-4 years old (the good old days of 1994-1995), and when I was old enough to sit by a computer I picked up TTD from him. Then there was perhaps a gap of 7-8 years before Locomotion was released which brought renewed interest and led me to this forum where I found OpenTTD! :)
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

Saw in a forum (I think the only forum I was attending at the time) on the topic of public transportation simulation a post about OpenTTD, and here I learned about it. I tried it some time later, and liked it, then here it goes...
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

A single visit with a friend/acquaintance who had a computer with TTD installed... in primary school. I only knew Railroad Tycoon 2 up to then and being able to build more than just railroads blew my mind. Then many years later, I decided to actually look it up and was instantky hooked.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I played TTD, and then a few years later tried to install it but it wouldn't run properly. I went looking for advice on how to get it to run properly, and discovered TTDPatch which I plaeyd for a while. From there, the jump to OTTD was an obvious one when OTTD started to surpass what TTDP could do (there are limits to what the TTDP devs could do without modifying the base EXE, I'm always amazed by what they achieved in that project)

That was 12+ years ago, and I've generally come back and played a few months every couple of years since
Jon

Return to “General OpenTTD”