Goods overload

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Goods overload

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

So, I'm new to OpenTTD and have been slowly learning the ropes. I've gotten to the point where I can reliably fill up a 512x512 map, connecting every resource to every industry. The problem I'm finding when I do this is that I produce so much goods that every city stops accepting them, leading to goods piling up in stations and cities all hating me, preventing me from making any changes. What are you supposed to do with all the excess goods? I'm starting to think about circular train networks with fleets of trains all set to "unload if accepted" making the rounds of every city, but that seems super-inefficient, and still doesn't help when every city is goodsed out.

What am I doing wrong?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Goods overload

Post by jfs »

Towns should not stop accepting goods as they grow, the inner zones should grow buildings that all accept goods making it easier to find somewhere to deliver it.
You are making sure to also grow the towns, right? Build some bus lines inside each town is a good way to make it grow bigger.
L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

I've been constructing chains from one end to the other, one by one, which means each individual town gets slammed with piles of goods when two or three chains are built while I work on other towns. The amount of goods produced increases faster than the population growth, eventually overwhelming the town and forcing me to divert those goods to another town, which gets slammed even harder. Eventually I have a gushing firehose of goods from every factory on the continent which swamps every city it's aimed at. It gets especially bad once oil rigs start appearing and every town becomes awash in goods.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

towns accept infinite amount of goods (so long as your station covers enough office/shop buildings which are usually located in the town center). unless you use weird NewGRFs.

towns may temporarily stop accepting goods in the early phases of town growth, as town buildings might be replaced by different ones.

towns grow faster if you establish a bus service in the town covering multiple bus stops.
L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Hmm. The problem might be the location of my stations, then. I tend to have a lot of infrastructure in one place (airport, train station(s), truck depots) right at the edge to minimize angering the town wit h lots of demolition. I think it might be that towns are expanding away from my stations, leaving them in the suburbs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Once you get to "very good" or higher in your town satisfaction rating, you can start getting some leeway with permission to demolish buildings. Just be slow and purposeful in your destruction, and make sure that you're utilizing any stations you build with sufficient service.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

again, having multiple bus stops with frequent service also helps with recovering from low rating very quickly. i usually build a bus (or tram) network before the first train station.
L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

Okay, I started a few new games to work on incorporating the strategies you kind folks have suggested, and it seems to be working. My usual opening gambit was to find the three biggest cities, plop an airport in each one, and borrow enough to start an airline, then start connecting coal with power plants while waiting for the reserves to refill. I've changed that to starting by assembling one single supply chain end to end to a single factory and setting up bus service in the town I plan to sell the goods to while I build the chain to prep them for the incoming tsunami of goods. It takes a bit longer to get the ball rolling, but I'm not having the goods overload problem any more. Thanks.

Return to “General OpenTTD”