Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset v2.0 being developed

Post by Transportman »

Higaphix wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:Thanks for the compliments, I hope the rest of the team who worked on v2 reads them too. I know little off the code structure so if you say that it's complicated I believe you. But then again, we did pull off some neat things like the head doors you mentioned.

I agree that there is an unbalance in the set and capacities are one of them for sure. In early starts there is also little variation in steam engines where for later times we might have been too abundant. I gladly help you with finding details on rolling stock and thinking about a new "best practise" for how to include trains.
Thanks for the quick response! :-)

I've been tweaking around a little with the files, and I've managed to add the VIRMm mockup to the NewGRF

All in all, most things don't seem to complicated. The NML code really is a good read compared to C++. By logical reasoning I've copied some datastructures, changed the names, temporarily removed most language files, added the new entries, and that all worked in one go. THe most troubling so far was creating a PNG that was readable by the compiler, luckily I got the hang of that now ;-)
It has been some time since I looked at the code for this set, but if you have questions about it, I'll be glad to help out, and if you have added vehicles, I could add them to this set. Most things are straightforward once you understand NML, but there are some funny features that might not directly be clear how they work.

EDIT: Note that I don't visit the forum every day or browse it entirely, just quote me if you have questions, that will trigger a notification when I visit.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Transportman wrote:
Higaphix wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:Thanks for the compliments, I hope the rest of the team who worked on v2 reads them too. I know little off the code structure so if you say that it's complicated I believe you. But then again, we did pull off some neat things like the head doors you mentioned.

I agree that there is an unbalance in the set and capacities are one of them for sure. In early starts there is also little variation in steam engines where for later times we might have been too abundant. I gladly help you with finding details on rolling stock and thinking about a new "best practise" for how to include trains.
Thanks for the quick response! :-)

I've been tweaking around a little with the files, and I've managed to add the VIRMm mockup to the NewGRF

All in all, most things don't seem to complicated. The NML code really is a good read compared to C++. By logical reasoning I've copied some datastructures, changed the names, temporarily removed most language files, added the new entries, and that all worked in one go. THe most troubling so far was creating a PNG that was readable by the compiler, luckily I got the hang of that now ;-)
It has been some time since I looked at the code for this set, but if you have questions about it, I'll be glad to help out, and if you have added vehicles, I could add them to this set. Most things are straightforward once you understand NML, but there are some funny features that might not directly be clear how they work.

EDIT: Note that I don't visit the forum every day or browse it entirely, just quote me if you have questions, that will trigger a notification when I visit.
Thanks for the heads up! I've actually been tooling around some more just yet, and as a llittle exercise, I've tried adding the DDZ IV and DDZ VI as EMU's, and it looks like I've succeeded :-)

The current plan is to expand on the existing set, improve some things and possibly create a new release :P

I'll keep posting stuff as I go along updating and expanding!
Attachments
DDZ as true EMU's
DDZ as true EMU's
Screenshot from 2019-02-16 23-23-22.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 11884 times
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

NEW POST!

I've been working on a few things:

I've added the VIRMm livery. RIght now you can select it as a livery for the VIRM-IV, but I already fully implemented for the VIRM-VI (It automatically selects the renewal livery starting from 2017, along with the updated capacity from 100 to 103), and you can select the year-dependent and construction-year lilveries as well :)

For now, I've bumped the capacity of ICM's from 62/63 to 76, as this better reflects the current capacity. However, it might be sensible to split up the capacities, since it did change during the renewal period.

I also added the DDZ-IV and DDZ-VI as true EMU's, and tweaked the values a bit, so the capacities are in check, and the mass is accurate-ish (for now), as well as the running costs en purchase costs (Which are now around that of the VIRMs)

I scrolled a bit up in the topic, found the TRAXX 186 Intercity liveries and added them as well. As for which one, I've found that the darker sprites worked better when viewed from an angle, whereas the lighter sprites looked better when viewed from the side :P

A little question: What the heck is GPL v2 and does it really matter? For as far as i'm concerned, everyone should be able to tweak stuff they don't like, and I don't really care where my work ends up. A little credit seems enough to me :P

If someone could explain that to me, that would be great!

Right now I'm working on a spreadsheet containing the capacities of all types of all carriages. I've been looking around on the internet for information, as well as just taking specific trains from and to college to count all the seats in all carriages! :D

Please provide feedback if necessary!
Attachments
Modernised VIRMs and yellow TRAXX's
Modernised VIRMs and yellow TRAXX's
Screenshot from 2019-02-19 18-03-00.png (43.86 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-19 18-04-33.png
Viewed from the side
(25.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
dutchtrains.grf
Current progress
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 193 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Higaphix wrote:A little question: What the heck is GPL v2 and does it really matter? For as far as i'm concerned, everyone should be able to tweak stuff they don't like, and I don't really care where my work ends up. A little credit seems enough to me :P

If someone could explain that to me, that would be great!
TL;DR: GPL is a convenient way to ensure your work is free for others to use.

Bonus points:
- if your GPL work is modified by other people, their modifications must be released under GPL, which ensures the work continues to be free to use (unless you give them an alternative license yourself, which is also allowed)
- GPL avoids numerous problems with 'public domain' or some other 'just use my stuff' approaches
- an important problem avoided: if you use someone else's GPL work, they can't just change their mind and demand you remove all of their work from your stuff

And of course
- nobody is going to sue anybody else over sprites for OpenTTD, but licenses do and have been the cause of community drama, GPL reduces this :twisted:

Also TL;DR: licensing is boring, but not licensing is even worse, because drama.
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Hey guys!

TL:DR: I'm working on the preparations necessary to guide this project to a successful end!

Update: I'm not dead, Im just very busy doing stuff that (probably) affects my future more than this does.

As for now, I've mostly been implementing whatever came to mind when I was working on it. This was functional, but it's not a tidy to do it. I've been delving deeper and deeper in lots of literature regarding most rolling stock, and while most things are very interesting, it also teaches me that there's a lot to be known. All of this has set me thinking about the approach to take, if there ever should be a respectable update to the Dutch Train Set.

Right now I'm mostly constructing a plan to tackle the whole thing, and some things seem very handy:

- I know there already is a git repository, but I'm thinking of setting up a new one by myself. It will provide a fresh start. This will make the development less chaotic and I'll be able to work out multiple ideas without them interfering. In the worst case, I'll start from scratch.

- The more and more I look up about the rolling stock, the more information appears. I think it would be wise to set up a guide that comprises (for OpenTTD) relevant information for all rolling stock, such as the usual stuff of introduction date and capacity, up to renewals date, and possible changes during the lifetime of the rolling stock. As an example, the ICM capacities weren't initially incorrect, as this probably has been the case at some point in time. It would be useful to implement such a guide, and then translate this in an usable way to OpenTTD.

- I'm suggesting to change some sprites a little bit. However, this is merely subjective, and should not be decided by just me.

- While I'm someone that prefers realism and freedom, some might not. The current way the Dutch Train Set is set up is great for most people, as they can just pick trains easily, but it can be limiting sometimes. I've seen what magic is possible with pre-game settings, as to provide which and what vehicles in other NewGRF's, and I think it might be possible to add some features that allows the player to pick between 'pre-fab' trains or just single coaches, and allowing the player to combine whatever they want. It would open up a lot of freedom for those who are really into it, while keeping it simple for those who just want to buy a EMU. I think really advanced players will appreciate it, at the expense of totally destroying the livery section by implementing almost everything. As an example, ICR carriages have been refit and renumbered multiple times, and come in a wide variety of liveries and capacities. This results in a list of all combinations between coach types and liveries, which will be way too much for most people. It might be a fun challenge to implement though! :P

- The overall goal for me is to make the NewGRF easily usable for beginners, while adding a challenge for those who are willing to take it up! :-)

I will have some free time in a few weeks to try and code it all in. Until then, I'm probably just collecting information about the rolling stock.

I might have forgotten to mention something...

Please provide feedback on my ideas if necessary! :D
Juggynaunt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juggynaunt »

This looks very nice. :D The Dutch Trainset is probably the newgrf that I use the most, so I'm very interested in it getting updated :bow:
Check out my screenshots ---> Here!
sph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sph »

Same here, I've been returning to this topic every few months to check on updates for the new trains. Thank you for this!
I know there already is a git repository, but I'm thinking of setting up a new one by myself. It will provide a fresh start. This will make the development less chaotic and I'll be able to work out multiple ideas without them interfering. In the worst case, I'll start from scratch.
You can just clone it and create separate branches to experiment with? You can even create multiple work trees to work on multiple branches simultaneously :)

Unless you really want to start from scratch I think it's best to keep the existing commit history.
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

sph wrote:Same here, I've been returning to this topic every few months to check on updates for the new trains. Thank you for this!
I know there already is a git repository, but I'm thinking of setting up a new one by myself. It will provide a fresh start. This will make the development less chaotic and I'll be able to work out multiple ideas without them interfering. In the worst case, I'll start from scratch.
You can just clone it and create separate branches to experiment with? You can even create multiple work trees to work on multiple branches simultaneously :)

Unless you really want to start from scratch I think it's best to keep the existing commit history.
That might work aswell, will look into that in a few days!

I've been reading the changelog regarding version 1.9.0 of the game, and it seems they're adding a way to group liveries! This would actually be a very nice way to differentiate between carriages! :D

Tomorrow will be my last exam for a while, so I'll probably pick this up in the weekend!

Meanwhile I've been looking at the code of most trains, and have come to the conclusion that most of them are accurate. It doesn't seem very useful to me to set up a big guide for all the rolling stock as there isn't that much to add/edit, aside from a few new trains, so I will let that thing slide and set up a datasheet with all the things necessary for now.

I'll probably give you guys an update around the weekend!
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Hey,

Busy busy, the list of deadlines is only getting bigger :/

I've not been doing much OpenTTD related stuff as of late, however, when I was digging into the sprites, I can't help but notice an oddity:

While most coaches share the same blue livery, It's come to my attention that the engines do not match the blue colours very well. As it would seem, looking at older pictures, the colours should be equal. I would like to open a discussion as which blue seems to match the real blue (Berlijns Blauw) the best!

As for the coach liveries: the yelllow bands of the coaches do seem such a detail to me, that I'm personallly not sure if they would actually fit in the sprite of the passenger coaches. While it is a striking feature, to me it looks of ingame, and suggests the bands are way thicker than they appear to be. I've attached a little mock-up of what I would think would also suit the blue livery quite well. It's nothing more than a quick sketch I did, and will be improved upon. On this sprites, the yellow bands are not visible, which makes the coaches appear more blue.

This is it for now. I might find some time at the end of the coming week to get some work done! :-)

Please provide feedback on the sprites!
Attachments
The altered sprites next to the current sprites
The altered sprites next to the current sprites
PlanE.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 10203 times
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

I've just taken some steps to access the current set's repository, hopefully someone will pick up on it soon... :P
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Ok, so I've been away for a while.

I've been experimenting with ways to put down the code, and as of today (When I finally found a little time to look at it once again) I've managed to implement the structure of the code necessary to diversify the rolling stock.

As of now, I'm probably going to search the internet regarding everything that has something to do with whatever I'm working on. I was thinking of updating a lot of stuff, as well as better implement renewals of various rolling stock.

Meanwhile, my exams are coming, so June won't be a very productive month, but I'll post an update as soon as it is anything substantial! :-)

Higaphix
Guy from Wildesford
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guy from Wildesford »

Now that development on this set continues, I've got a few remarks or suggestions.
  • Most box cars can carry mail, but the second-generation boxcar (that's simply named Boxcar) can't.
  • In general, I believe the mail capacities are quite low, especially in early dedicated mail vans, but also in box cars. I mean, a bag of mail shouldn't weigh a ton, and ten of them aren't exactly many.
  • In the late 19th and early 20th century, there are fine express locomotives, but the passenger coaches available at that time are way too slow for them. The first passenger car that's allowed to run faster than 80km/h is the ovaleramen. At least the SS ABd should be faster, it's an express coach from the early 1920s, so I don't think it was limited to only 80km/h. Maybe the NCS B was faster in reality, too.
  • If you want to keep the RTM BD, maybe you could make it a combined passenger and baggage/mail car. This requires some trickery, but it's possible, and it has been done in the past. (That said, it would be nice if there were at least one matching regular coach for it. Currently, the selection of historic cars seems to be limited to what's on display in Utrecht.)
  • Is it just me, or is the SS C a bit long for a three-axle car? It's as long as all the four-axle passenger coaches.
Higaphix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Higaphix »

Guy from Wildesford wrote: 10 Jul 2019 10:30 Now that development on this set continues, I've got a few remarks or suggestions.
  • Most box cars can carry mail, but the second-generation boxcar (that's simply named Boxcar) can't.
  • In general, I believe the mail capacities are quite low, especially in early dedicated mail vans, but also in box cars. I mean, a bag of mail shouldn't weigh a ton, and ten of them aren't exactly many.
  • In the late 19th and early 20th century, there are fine express locomotives, but the passenger coaches available at that time are way too slow for them. The first passenger car that's allowed to run faster than 80km/h is the ovaleramen. At least the SS ABd should be faster, it's an express coach from the early 1920s, so I don't think it was limited to only 80km/h. Maybe the NCS B was faster in reality, too.
  • If you want to keep the RTM BD, maybe you could make it a combined passenger and baggage/mail car. This requires some trickery, but it's possible, and it has been done in the past. (That said, it would be nice if there were at least one matching regular coach for it. Currently, the selection of historic cars seems to be limited to what's on display in Utrecht.)
  • Is it just me, or is the SS C a bit long for a three-axle car? It's as long as all the four-axle passenger coaches.
Hey, thanks for the heads up!

Right now I'm finishing my exams, development will continue at the end of July :D
  • Good point, should be looked into.
  • Capacities regarding old rolling stock have probably been wild guesses. Some research can put into that. There is some documentation about more recent mail carriages. For instance, take a look at seinarm.nl. However, translating real-life properties into feasible OpenTTD metrics has always been a bit tricky. My suggestion for now would be to tune the cargo generation of mail.
  • This has bothered me as well, yet it seems accurate-ish. I was planning to take a look at it, but it seems that a lot of carriages might have had their operating speeds changed during this era. Yet another point to look into.
  • The artwork of most carriages is not really compatible, but on the other hand normalising this would make the rolling stock look rather bland. There have been more types of carriages than what's currently implemented, but what hasn't been implemented might have missed too much documentation to reliably implement it into the trainset.
Your last question is a type of question that I have asked myself as well. Personally, it has opened a rabbithole of calculations and decisions and whatnot. I've made formulas and variables that give sensible answers regarding speed, relative speed, ingame capacity, relative capacity, the usefulness of carriages ingame and all the like. It might have become a sort of science, and I would gladly try and explain it all, but it's too much information for this thread. PM me if you're interested.

Long story short: The carriage lengths are inaccurate, and I was already thinking to scale them more accurately relative to each other in OpenTTD. Carriages can get longer, but this would have dire consequenses. I have not planned it for the coming update, but the update after that. The next update will add a choice to use the rolling stock more veraciously. After that, I'll look into scaling the rolling stock. Carriages such as the family of Bolkoprijtuigen will have their lengths decreased from 8 to 7.
Mikjael
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikjael »

Hello all.

I downloaded Dutch trainset v2.1.0 (which I'm guessing is the subject of this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) and have enjoyed it muchly.
Just wondering if anyone has a list of the wheel arrangements of the locomotives in the set, or perhaps a good website where one might obtain said information? Every search I do only comes up with very limited information. Perhaps I'm not using good search parameters, but I only have the information in the set to go on.
Any help would be great.
Thanks all!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Mikjael wrote: 14 Jul 2019 09:33 Hello all.

I downloaded Dutch trainset v2.1.0 (which I'm guessing is the subject of this thread. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) and have enjoyed it muchly.
Just wondering if anyone has a list of the wheel arrangements of the locomotives in the set, or perhaps a good website where one might obtain said information? Every search I do only comes up with very limited information. Perhaps I'm not using good search parameters, but I only have the information in the set to go on.
Any help would be great.
Thanks all!
We had at some time a huge sheet with information on all the vehicles in the set and I think it included the wheel arrangements, but it got lost.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Rudolfph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rudolfph »

Steam engines, Whyte-notation:

HSM Arend: 2-2-2
HSM 1-15, 26-30: 2-4-0
NRS 11-16: 2-2-2
NS 700: 2-4-0
NS 1100: 2-4-0
NS 1500: 4-4-0
NS 2100: 4-4-0
NS 2900: 0-6-0
NS 3100: 0-6-0
NS 3200: 0-6-0
NS 3500: 4-6-0
NS 3600: 4-6-0
NS 3700: 4-6-0
NS 3850: 4-6-0 (streamlined NS 3700)
NS 3900: 4-6-0
NS 4600: 2-8-0
NS 4700: 0-8-0 (based on a Swedish design)
NS 5000-II: 2-10-0 (former British WD engines)
NS 5500: 4-4-2T
NS 6200: 2-8-2T
NS 6300: 4-8-4T (one of the biggest European tank engines ever built)
NS 6900: 0-4-0T
NS 7000: 4-4-0T
NS 7200: 2-4-0T
NS 8100: 0-4-0T

Diesel engines, UIC classification:
NS 100: B
NS 200: B
NS 400: B
NS 450: C
NS 600: C (based on LMS design, almost equal to BR Class 11)
Vossloh G 400 B: B
NS 2000: Bo'Bo' (former USATC Whitcomb 65-DE-19A with new engines)
NS 2200: Bo'Bo'
NS 2400: Bo'Bo'
NS 2600: Co'Co'
NS 2800: Bo'Bo'
NS 2900: Bo'Bo'
NS 6400: Bo'Bo'
Mak G1206: Bo'Bo'
ACTS 6700: Bo'Bo'
NMBS HLR77: Bo'Bo'
RN232: Co'Co'
Vossloh G2000: Bo'Bo'
Class 66: Co'Co' (BR Class 66)
ACTS 5800: Co'Co' (former BR Class 58)

Electric engines, UIC classification:
NS 1000: (1A)' Bo (A1)'
NS 1100: Bo'Bo'
NS 1200: Co'Co'
NS 1300: Co'Co'
NS 1500: Co'Co' (former BR Class 77)
NS 1600/1800: B'B'
NS 1700: B'B'
NMBS HLE 25.5: Bo'Bo'
NMBS HLE 11: Bo'Bo'
Eurosprinter ES64F4: Bo'Bo' (German BR 189)
NS 1600P: I guess this will something " (1A1)' 3' " in Dutch configuration, it had only one driving axle after being rebuilt for testing in the Netherlands and it was only used for testing purposes (P stands for "Proef" which translates to "Test").
HS-1: fictional future engine.
HS-2: fictional future engine.
Rudolfph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Rudolfph »

If someone is interested, I'll be happy to give more information about the rolling stock. I live in the Netherlands so Dutch is no problem to me, and I'll gladly advice anyone on drawing additional trains for this set.

Most electric and diesel engines and multiple units are included in the game (at least upto 2010-2012), but especially 19th century trains are lacking. The presumption that only trains displayed at the railway museum in Utrecht seems correct to me. If someone is interested in drawing additional trains, but is in need for information, I'll happily look things up and look into which trains are missing in the trainset. Personally I would like to see more 19th and early 20th century trains added (until 1918 there were 4 (and 1 more until 1890) railway companies which all had their own rolling stock and their own colour schemes). And some new stuff and colour schemes are missing too. Trains that can be added to the game are:
  • Flirt: new EMU used by Abellio, Arriva, Connexxion, Treindienst Alphen-Gouda, Keolis (Syntus), NS Reizigers, all in their own configuration and colour scheme, in service since 2016.
  • SNG: new EMU used by NS Reizigers, in service since 2018.
  • ICNG new EMU used by NS Reizigers, not yet in service, first sets are being built and tested right now, they will enter passenger service somewhere in 2020 or 2021 I think.
  • 19th centery trains: not going to mention them all here, but I am thinking about the most common engines and carriages (for example: NS 1300 (steam engine, 2-4-0) and NS 1700 (steam engine, 4-4-0).
  • Other trains: NS 4300, a series of 2-8-0 steam engines built from the British WD after WW2. This was the only series of steam engines numbering over 200 in the Netherlands.
Another thing: until the 1960s most, if not all, goods trains in het Netherlands had a brake van. Though the more modern variants are missing, "Bagagewagens SS D-II and D=III" can be used at least until the 1950s. Unfortunately, they can only be configured to mail and goods. If I want, for example, a coal train to have a brake van, the brake van won't load (as there is no supply of mail or goods near the coal mine). As a result my train will never fully load (I like to run full trains only to cut costs) and so the train will never depart for the next station. Is it possible to change the configuration tot any materieel (with amount "1") so the brake van won't stop the train departing the station.
Mikjael
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikjael »

Rudolfph. You are officially a legendary human!
djidee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by djidee »

Rudolfph wrote: 19 Jul 2019 21:07 Another thing: until the 1960s most, if not all, goods trains in het Netherlands had a brake van. Though the more modern variants are missing, "Bagagewagens SS D-II and D=III" can be used at least until the 1950s. Unfortunately, they can only be configured to mail and goods. If I want, for example, a coal train to have a brake van, the brake van won't load (as there is no supply of mail or goods near the coal mine). As a result my train will never fully load (I like to run full trains only to cut costs) and so the train will never depart for the next station. Is it possible to change the configuration tot any materieel (with amount "1") so the brake van won't stop the train departing the station.
There is an workaround option in the routing to wait for any full load... But that only works when there is no city or goods near...
"Testing with Vision"
Guy from Wildesford
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Guy from Wildesford »

Rudolfph wrote: 19 Jul 2019 21:07 Most electric and diesel engines and multiple units are included in the game (at least upto 2010-2012), but especially 19th century trains are lacking. The presumption that only trains displayed at the railway museum in Utrecht seems correct to me. If someone is interested in drawing additional trains, but is in need for information, I'll happily look things up and look into which trains are missing in the trainset. Personally I would like to see more 19th and early 20th century trains added (until 1918 there were 4 (and 1 more until 1890) railway companies which all had their own rolling stock and their own colour schemes).
What kind of strikes me is the total lack of goods locomotives before 1865 (series 2900), but that might be because the 2900 were indeed the first dedicated goods locomotives in the Netherlands. At least I couldn't find anything older.

Aside from that, the set lacks 19th century passenger coaches and maybe also mail wagons so that the covered vans don't have to be able to carry mail (causes irritations when auto-refitting).
djidee wrote: 23 Jul 2019 07:03 There is an workaround option in the routing to wait for any full load... But that only works when there is no city or goods near...
At least the JGR Patch Pack would allow you to, for example, wait for coal to load fully and for everything else to explicity not load at all.

Return to “Graphics Development”