OpenTTD ported to Elbrus workstation

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

OpenTTD ported to Elbrus workstation

Post by kamnet »

Scrolling through the TTD Russia forums, I came across a now 6 month-old post that OpenTTD was ported to the Elbrus-801-RS, which is a high-end Russian Linux-based workstation.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXVA_JHWLXk

You will probably need to turn on closed captioning and have it auto-translate if you do not speak Russian.
trainman1432
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: OpenTTD ported to Elbrus workstation

Post by trainman1432 »

English translation please?
Jetrain
YATTC
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

trainman1432 wrote: 16 Jul 2019 12:09 English translation please?
The post above yours that is now deleted was just spam, it was in Swedish and totally off-topic.

As for the topic itself, I'm not sure there's any particular reason to be impressed. The CPU architecture has existed for a long time, so presumably compilers targeting it are mature, and OTTD has already been compiled for many other CPUs already, so there wasn't really any question about portability. The system also runs Linux, so as long as they have a display system supported by SDL or Allegro, there aren't any surprises.
Call again if you find someone running on a classic Mac or Amiga with Motorola 68k CPU, and no modern add-in cards :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

jfs wrote: 16 Jul 2019 15:35 As for the topic itself, I'm not sure there's any particular reason to be impressed. The CPU architecture has existed for a long time, so presumably compilers targeting it are mature, and OTTD has already been compiled for many other CPUs already, so there wasn't really any question about portability. The system also runs Linux, so as long as they have a display system supported by SDL or Allegro, there aren't any surprises.
It's an atypical installation on Russian hardware. I think that's neat.
Call again if you find someone running on a classic Mac or Amiga with Motorola 68k CPU, and no modern add-in cards :)
I already posted about OpenTTD being ported to the Atari Falcon. ;)
viewtopic.php?t=83077
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Back in the very early days of OpenTTD, when it was still C-based, and SDL still supports classic Mac OS, I did attempt to port OpenTTD to Mac OS (PPC rather than 68K though, I think). It was a somewhat frustrating experience, not helped by things like the compiler expecting a colon to separate paths in #include statements, rather than a slash!

I think I've still got the MPW CD somewhere, hypothetically I could fire up Basilisk II or SheepShaver and try to get it working again, but there's no way current era OpenTTD would build on it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

orudge wrote: 17 Jul 2019 09:16 Back in the very early days of OpenTTD, when it was still C-based, and SDL still supports classic Mac OS, I did attempt to port OpenTTD to Mac OS (PPC rather than 68K though, I think). It was a somewhat frustrating experience, not helped by things like the compiler expecting a colon to separate paths in #include statements, rather than a slash!

I think I've still got the MPW CD somewhere, hypothetically I could fire up Basilisk II or SheepShaver and try to get it working again, but there's no way current era OpenTTD would build on it.
I saw, somewhere, that an older version of OpenTTD had been ported to Amiga OS 4 on PPC.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

we had officially supported a bunch of those "exotic" OSes, but these ports generally died from lack of updated compilers (most recently the move to C++11)

Return to “General OpenTTD”