NewGRF docks, what would be good?

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

NewGRF docks, what would be good?

Post by jfs »

Since the current master branch now supports multiple docks per station, and multiple docking tiles per station, it may be time to think about what NewGRF docks could potentially look like (from a functional perspective).

The use for NewGRF docks would probably mainly be decoration, similar to newstations for trains.

I imagine the most basic would be support for variable size piers built on a shore, as single units. Perhaps with the docking locations defined by the GRF. A pier with zero docking locations should probably be invalid, since you could otherwise risk having a station that "support ships" without any ships actually being able to dock.

Second would be docks for use on rivers/canals, where there isn't a sloped shore to build off. I think part of the challenge here would be UI for building the docks.
Can (and should) the sea and canal dock building be unified?

Then there is non-functional decoration. Leave that to newobjects, or should it integrate with the station to be able to show cargo and loading animation?

What else on the wishlist?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF docks, what would be good?

Post by Eddi »

the biggest thing missing is "flat" docks (for rivers), also, i think TTDP has "buoys as docks" for things like fishing grounds (which could then lose their builtin station)

as for nonfunctional decorations, i think it should be the same as "non-track tiles" for stations, which should probably be split off into their own category. the main difference between that and objects is that it affects catchment area.

a somewhat stretchy idea is to give docks a state machine, like airports.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGRF docks, what would be good?

Post by wallyweb »

Eddi wrote: 17 Jul 2019 17:12i think TTDP has "buoys as docks" for things like fishing grounds (which could then lose their builtin station)
Cirdan enabled these in his "New Map Features" branch. I found them useful for off-shore loading facilities for oil refineries.
a somewhat stretchy idea is to give docks a state machine, like airports.
I'm not sure what state machine means. Is this where airplanes go the first available empty gate?
If this is the case, then HackaLittleBit did this as a patch to New Map Features. Ships would go to mooring bouys to await the first available empty dock in a multi dock station.

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”