FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

agentw4b
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translations

Post by agentw4b »

The problem of altitude is mainly in "Fishing Harbor" and "Bulk Terminal".
Owner and admin of servers with names "Experimental games" .
My heightmaps: Flat Earth Map and United nations logo
My scenarios: Game Fallout 1,2,3 Map scenario
My gamescripts: City Founder GS
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

agentw4b wrote:The problem of altitude is mainly in "Fishing Harbor" and "Bulk Terminal".

I don't think the ports are intended to exist anywhere other than the ocean coast - as they do not make sense as inland / highland industries.
drsh1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drsh1 »

Hi, can someone give me a working example of how the cargo payment rates are calculated in FIRS?

I run through game files, found some formulas, found some parametres (eg Alcohol: price factor=160, penalty lowerbound=10, single penalty lenght=128) but I just can't get those numbers right..
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

agentw4b wrote:The problem of altitude is mainly in "Fishing Harbor" and "Bulk Terminal".
They require coast tiles.

Coast tiles are reported by OpenTTD slope + water.

Probably rivers/lakes/canals don't have coast tiles.

It's not a FIRS design choice to limit these industries, it's a side effect of how OpenTTD works. :twisted:
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Can you require a water tile, rather than a coast tile, and then not build on it?
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

agentw4b wrote:The authors of the CZTR wrote somewhere that they wanted to work on a 32-bit version, but eventually they would make their own FIRS-like economy.
Yes that's true. We are making our new industry GRF. And we have a similar problem with industry on water. Oil rigs etc can build only on the water. But there are some cases when the industry is built on the coast. So Oil rig has 2 tile on the water and 2 on the land (size 2x2). We have to check input conditions (maybe minimum distance by coast tiles). Industries like ports we don't program yet. But I think that it will be funny too.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Be aware, it is perfectly possible to make feature requests for NewGRF, via the github issue tracker (you can ignore the bug reporting template!)

Be clear and concise in what you want to achieve, along with some background, and be prepared to make simple test-case NewGRFs.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

peter1138 wrote:Can you require a water tile, rather than a coast tile, and then not build on it?
Possibly yes, I'm considering that.

Port-type industries are far too hard to place currently, and I want to solve that.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Nice :) What does it produce?
ImageImageImage
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

andythenorth wrote:
V453000 :) wrote:Nice :) What does it produce?
Cryogenically frozen Yeti of course.

Actually, oxygen.
You've never been to Everest, have you?
Everest = insulated yeti and very little oxygen
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

The slag grinding plant in FIRS 3 was poor. Let's fix that :D

Work so far on the new one.
slag_grinding_plant_1.png
slag_grinding_plant_1.png (129.44 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
The old one for comparisating.
slag_grinding_plant.png
slag_grinding_plant.png (18.99 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
FatRat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FatRat »

Hi folks,

I have placed this in OpenTTD problems also, but here's the problem and I think it's an FIRS issue:

I am running a large map with FIRS extreme cargo setting. Everything goes well except for one "bug" with a lime kiln. Even though production of farm supplies is constantly high, the delivery rate of the station where they are fetched is dropping at a certain point in time when I leave the game running for roughly 1,5 years without any changes or new builds. This causes trains to load extremely slow and therefore jam the station. Before this kicks in, one supplier train with coal is enough to fill two trains with farm supplies, now more than two coal trans are needed to fill one farm supply train.

As an additional craziness the delivery rate of chemicals produced at the same plant and loaded at the same station remains as high as ever. This effect only applies to this very lime kiln (but it's the only in the game). All other industries producing farm supplies are not affected at all.

I have tried to replace the lime kiln by blowing it up in the scenario editor and rebuild it in the game - no changes. I also removed rebuilt the station in question and rerouted the farm supply trains to another station where the same effect occurred. WTF?

To put some numbers to this, I have also built a new lime kiln and connected all the trains to this one. The same effect occurs though. Before 1990, a train of 420 tons of coal lets the kiln produce and deliver 165 crates of farm supplies. From 1.1.1990, the rating of the station's farm supplies drops from 83% constantly down to 26 %, even though I made sure there is always a train loading cargo and no farm supplies are left waiting on the platform.

Now the same 420-ton coal train lets the kiln deliver only 74 crates to the fetching station.

However, the production numbers of the kiln itself do not drop. Chemicals are the same before and after 1990, as well as any other industry producing farm supplies - so it's most likely not the trains.

Just discovered, that from 1994 the harbour has the same issue :(

I am completely clueless. Of course I can sell the superfluous trains to keep the station running, but where are all farm supplies gone? They are needed elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Can you share your savegame? I can try looking at it in a debugger to try figuring out why the station rating is calculated to that.

Edit: I see you already did in the other thread you posted about this.

Edit 2: Explanation posted over in other thread:
jfs wrote:I think I may have an explanation for why the rating is dropping. Some of the supplies are being brought to the station Berggiesshübel South where it gets unloaded for transfer onto trucks. Around May 1990 the amount of Farm Supplies waiting at this station grows massively, I haven't tried to figure out exactly why that is but presumably more is being delivered than the trucks can handle.

As it is, station ratings for a cargo depends not on how much of the cargo is waiting at the original station, but how much cargo from the original station is waiting at any station. This means that 1200 crates of farm supplies from Jena Exchange, waiting at Berggiesshübel South, will detract massively from the station rating at Jena Exchange.

Based on my reading of the code, this is an intentional mechanic, which is probably intended to prevent circumventing the station rating system at producing industry stations, just by moving the cargo to another "holding" station. If cargo from the producing industry's station waiting at another station still affect the rating for the producing station negatively, there is no gain from just moving the cargo somewhere else to pretend you're handling it.
In other words, it's not a FIRS problem, it's an intentional game mechanic that's difficult to discover.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

One day, a FIRS version 4. Here's an early test grf. Uses increased industry capabilities included in OpenTTD 1.9.x

Steeltown: massive rework of industry chains.
Basic economies: port industries tweaked, nothing else changed.
In A Hot Country, Extreme: broken, don't use.

I've played 3 or 4 intensive Steeltown games, I find it pretty addictive, YMMV.
Attachments
firs-1.tar.zip
(940.63 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kamnet wrote: 03 Jul 2019 02:37Extreme is broken? :cry: :cry: :cry:
More accurately, I haven't tested Extreme, or looked to see if changes elsewhere in FIRS affect Extreme. All the industry production code has been rewritten to use the newest OpenTTD production API, and there may be unfinished work or bugs with that.

Extreme is otherwise untouched compared to v3.

IAHC on the other hand is actually just broken in the release above :)

Also the FIRS version number in the attached tar is currently 1, the version code is currently broken :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Not visible in newgrf list :(

Return to “Graphics Development”