Add layer(s) showing station coverage

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

yodasws
Engineer
Engineer

Add layer(s) showing station coverage

Post by yodasws »

I'd like to request adding a map layer showing the coverage areas of the stations.

When placing a new station, I would like to place my stations in a consistent pattern but without (or with as little as possible) overlap in station coverage. I envision simply using the company owner's primary and/or secondary color.

Additionally, maybe add an option to each station's info box to show just this station's coverage area while the box is open. This can help me see where the cargo and/or passengers are coming from and help me determine how and where to expand the station (since I can connect disjoint stations together).
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Add layer(s) showing station coverage

Post by jfs »

You don't need to ask, your wish has already been granted! It's in the master branch since April 25th, meaning it will be part of version 1.10 whenever that gets released. If you want to try it right now, you can get a nightly build which will contain this feature (among many more new things.)

(Here's the pull request for the feature addition, if you're interested in the developmenty details.)
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

O! This is really pleasantly!
Thank You for this information.

What is interesting, any station has 2 types of coverage areas: the 1st area - "to accept", and the 2nd - "to supply".
And it is possible, that these 2 areas are different from each other. Maybe, I'm wrong, but it seems, this is coverage area "to supply", and coverage area "to accept" may be bigger. I think this is OK - just a little implicitly. But, it may allow to make the game faster.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Well that's another thing that has changed in master, the rules for station coverage area are fixed now so production and acceptance areas are the same. Additionally, the coverage area is now always "sparse" such that each station part is considered individually when calculating the coverage area, instead of simply the bounding box of all station parts. It's talked about a bit in the April 2019 dev blog post

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”