American Bridge Replacement Set [0.5.0 Released 12-13-2020]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: American Bridge Replacement Set [0.4.0 Released 4-30-19]

Post by Andrew350 »

So I've made the fix to the default bridge recode and (re)attached the .txt file below. All credit goes to FooBar for the work, and as stated in the original posting is available under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Netherlands license, GNU GPL v2 licence, and GNU GPL v3 licence; just make sure to credit FooBar if you use (part of) this in your project. :)

The only thing I modified is the sprite table for part 0 of the tubular bridges to fix the incorrect sprites, all else is the same. I'll also redirect the link on the GRFSpecs wiki to point here for future brave souls who might need it for a bridge NewGRF :)

And of course I'll make the fix in ABRS itself, although probably not until 0.5 unless more bugs show up before then.
Attachments
default_bridges_revised.txt
Released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Netherlands license, GNU GPL v2 licence, and GNU GPL v3 licence. Credit: FooBar
(72.74 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:So I've made the fix to the default bridge recode and (re)attached the .txt file below. All credit goes to FooBar for the work, and as stated in the original posting is available under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Netherlands license, GNU GPL v2 licence, and GNU GPL v3 licence; just make sure to credit FooBar if you use (part of) this in your project. :)

The only thing I modified is the sprite table for part 0 of the tubular bridges to fix the incorrect sprites, all else is the same. I'll also redirect the link on the GRFSpecs wiki to point here for future brave souls who might need it for a bridge NewGRF :)

And of course I'll make the fix in ABRS itself, although probably not until 0.5 unless more bugs show up before then.
Can I make the fix myself and call it 4.1? Aside from NRT in JGRPP, I'm waiting on this before I can start my dream game in 1700 and go past 2100.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

No need to make a new version really, just modify the few hex bytes necessary locally and compile. It should remain compatible once the next version comes out (if you choose to upgrade the savegame). :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:No need to make a new version really, just modify the few hex bytes necessary locally and compile. It should remain compatible once the next version comes out (if you choose to upgrade the savegame). :)
Tbh, I need someone to show me the edits I need to make. I am clueless with NFO.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

SimYouLater wrote:Tbh, I need someone to show me the edits I need to make. I am clueless with NFO
Well in that case, the 'simple' way would be to copy all of the code for the tubular bridges in the default_bridges_revised.txt file posted above, then paste that over the same bridges in the american_bridges.nfo file found in the source zip. (The tubular bridge code is all the way at the bottom, make sure to copy and paste over all 3 of them!). Then just compile with grfcodec.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:Tbh, I need someone to show me the edits I need to make. I am clueless with NFO
Well in that case, the 'simple' way would be to copy all of the code for the tubular bridges in the default_bridges_revised.txt file posted above, then paste that over the same bridges in the american_bridges.nfo file found in the source zip. (The tubular bridge code is all the way at the bottom, make sure to copy and paste over all 3 of them!). Then just compile with grfcodec.
I just did exactly that but, for some reason, it didn't fix the issue.

EDIT: On further inspection, the default_bridges_revised.txt is identical to the nfo's contents. You posted the wrong thing.
Licenses for my work...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

SimYouLater wrote:EDIT: On further inspection, the default_bridges_revised.txt is identical to the nfo's contents. You posted the wrong thing.
you must be blind, i clearly see the difference

in the lines after

Code: Select all

//bronze tubular steel bridge (0A)
in the .txt they start with 0B, 0C, 11, ...
and in the .nfo with 0A, 0D, 10, ...
(just the first entry in each line)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Eddi wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:EDIT: On further inspection, the default_bridges_revised.txt is identical to the nfo's contents. You posted the wrong thing.
you must be blind, i clearly see the difference

in the lines after

//bronze tubular steel bridge (0A)
in the .txt they start with 0B, 0C, 11, ...
and in the .nfo with 0A, 0D, 10, ...
(just the first entry in each line)
You're right, somehow I got confused.

I managed to put the thing back together. Here...
Attachments
american_bridges.grf
0.4.0, with corrected tubular bridges
(168.76 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Licenses for my work...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Checking out version 0.4.0 for once and it looks good, though It would be nice if I could customize it a bit like say, having Parameters to allow users to tweak the introduction dates and max speeds (The default speeds are "OK" but I'd prefer maybe a bit faster on some of the non-wood type bridges considering I see VIA trains zipping across plate girder bridges at around 160 km/h quite often when I travel)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

NekoMaster wrote: 13 Jun 2019 23:39 Checking out version 0.4.0 for once and it looks good, though It would be nice if I could customize it a bit like say, having Parameters to allow users to tweak the introduction dates and max speeds (The default speeds are "OK" but I'd prefer maybe a bit faster on some of the non-wood type bridges considering I see VIA trains zipping across plate girder bridges at around 160 km/h quite often when I travel)
I fully agree, and it's on my to-do list to include user-defined speeds, intro dates, etc. I just have to figure out how to do it in NFO; it's probably not hard but I haven't really had the urge to dive in and try it yet :P
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Andrew350 wrote: 14 Jun 2019 03:36
NekoMaster wrote: 13 Jun 2019 23:39 Checking out version 0.4.0 for once and it looks good, though It would be nice if I could customize it a bit like say, having Parameters to allow users to tweak the introduction dates and max speeds (The default speeds are "OK" but I'd prefer maybe a bit faster on some of the non-wood type bridges considering I see VIA trains zipping across plate girder bridges at around 160 km/h quite often when I travel)
I fully agree, and it's on my to-do list to include user-defined speeds, intro dates, etc. I just have to figure out how to do it in NFO; it's probably not hard but I haven't really had the urge to dive in and try it yet :P
Well for now I just setup a little GRF codec setup on my C drive to modify the set to my needs though I wont be releasing the modified GRF so no incompatible versions and problems arise. Plus the modifications I'm doing may not be for everyone :D
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I found a minor graphical glitch.
Attachments
Grenhattan Transport, 01_22_2200#1.png
The way you coded it.
(137.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Grenhattan Transport, 01_22_2200.png
Re-aligned so the water doesn't show through.
(141.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Checked against default bridgeheads.
Carhattan Transport, 01_13_2200.png (79.36 KiB) Viewed 18576 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 10 Nov 2019 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Here's the rail cable-stayed bridge.
Attachments
As coded.
As coded.
Unnamed, 01_01_2200.png (70.38 KiB) Viewed 18593 times
Carhattan Transport, 01_01_2200#2.png
Fixed.
(84.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carhattan Transport, 01_13_2200#1.png (20.13 KiB) Viewed 18575 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 10 Nov 2019 23:49, edited 3 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Here's the stone rail bridge. Just checked these against default bridgeheads, the fix is more complex than re-aligning sprites.

EDIT: Not fixable via sprite alignment, adding this for your convenience.
Attachments
Carhattan Transport, 01_02_2200.png
Fixed.
(89.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carhattan Transport, 01_01_2200#3.png
As coded.
(101.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 15 Nov 2019 01:40, edited 5 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

And here's the rail concrete viaduct, which apparently needs actual sprite editing to fix, so feel free to ignore this one.

Attachments
Carhattan Transport, 01_03_2200.png
As coded.
(126.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by SimYouLater on 15 Nov 2019 01:40, edited 4 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

with exception of the blue dots in the red circle (screenshot in your first posting) I see no glitches. Additionally these screenshots shows custom bridge heads, which are "only" a patch. I suspect, you can not make the GRF-author responsible for this.

Tschö, Auge
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Auge wrote: 08 Nov 2019 12:44 Hello

with exception of the blue dots in the red circle (screenshot in your first posting) I see no glitches. Additionally these screenshots shows custom bridge heads, which are "only" a patch. I suspect, you can not make the GRF-author responsible for this.

Tschö, Auge
I made a mistake trying to present the glitches, but they are there.

Here...

As coded.
As coded.
Unnamed, 01_01_2200.png (50.78 KiB) Viewed 18755 times
Sahill Transport, 01_01_2200.png
As coded.
(107.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Basically, I'm asking Andrew350 to please check all the bridges with JGR's Patch Pack (which has custom bridgeheads) for alignment issues. Or at least tell me which of the hex code thingies I'm supposed to change to re-align the bridge edges.

Last edited by SimYouLater on 15 Nov 2019 01:41, edited 2 times in total.
Licenses for my work...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

SimYouLater wrote: 09 Nov 2019 00:30 Or at least tell me which of the hex code thingies I'm supposed to change to re-align the bridge edges.
I'm not Andrew350, but I can answer that ...
The adjustment is made in the Real Sprite:

// Format: spritenum pcxfile xpos ypos compression ysize xsize xrel yrel
   48 sprites\YourBridgeSet.png 16 16   09   30 52   -25 -4 
The values to adjust are xrel and yrel.
Use the sprite aligner to determine the value.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

SimYouLater wrote: 08 Nov 2019 02:44 I found a minor graphical glitch.
Wow, accidental quadruple post? Impressive :lol:

Anyway, I don't normally test anything in JGRPP since I'm not aiming to specifically support any of the extra features there, but if doing so doesn't take much extra effort then its ok.

I looked at your suggested fix for the first 'glitch' and it works fine. I can make the change in the next release :)

I'm not sure what you're looking at on the wood trestle?

The third 'glitch' would require a little more than shifting the alignment, as simply moving that sprite creates a gap elsewhere. Not sure if I'll pursue a proper fix for that or not; as said its low priority for me :)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Andrew350 wrote: 10 Nov 2019 22:39
SimYouLater wrote: 08 Nov 2019 02:44 I found a minor graphical glitch.
Wow, accidental quadruple post? Impressive :lol:

Anyway, I don't normally test anything in JGRPP since I'm not aiming to specifically support any of the extra features there, but if doing so doesn't take much extra effort then its ok.

I looked at your suggested fix for the first 'glitch' and it works fine. I can make the change in the next release :)

I'm not sure what you're looking at on the wood trestle?

The third 'glitch' would require a little more than shifting the alignment, as simply moving that sprite creates a gap elsewhere. Not sure if I'll pursue a proper fix for that or not; as said its low priority for me :)
Basically, build every bridge over water with custom bridgeheads and then check every bridge for a couple pixels of water that need to be covered. I tried giving screenshots, but I got the images mixed up, so just assume all the bridges have this issue until you've checked them personally.

Went through the bridges again and pointed out the glitches with red circles. The wooden rail trestle rails don't match up with the rails on the custom bridge heads, I'll make another post to point it out.

Thanks for doing this!

EDIT: Added screenshots to the posts I made. Also, here's the plate girder bridge...

Attachments
Carhattan Transport, 01_04_2200.png
As coded.
(130.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Carhattan Transport, 01_04_2200#1.png
Fixed.
(89.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Checked against bridgeheads.
Checked against bridgeheads.
Carhattan Transport, 01_14_2200.png (16.56 KiB) Viewed 18573 times
Last edited by SimYouLater on 15 Nov 2019 01:41, edited 4 times in total.
Licenses for my work...

Return to “Graphics Development”