Patch and loading

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Nordic player
Engineer
Engineer

Patch and loading

Post by Nordic player »

There is one thing i mis, and I have trouble to understand. What should I do to get pacthes to work. I dont understand how I load a patch pack but I would advanse the game WITH!!!!! cargo distrub and 24 hour clock.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch and loading

Post by jfs »

A "patch pack" is a completely separate version of the game. Not something you add-on, but something you install instead of (or next to) and use instead.

(Patches as such are only useful if you're a reasonably experience programmer, since integrating old patches into a moving target (the current master version) can be quite challenging. When you download and install a patch pack, someone else has already done the hard work.)
Nordic player
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordic player »

Thank you. The problem is that I dont find any file to start the game. Im tide of busstrips at 40 days. I want to play WITH!!!!! 24 hour clock. If I want to play the game there is posible to create bussroutes to multiple cities WITH!!!!! different need. Have I understand right the pacth is a game and they must be loadet seperatly. Then I could only play WITH!!!!! one of the pacthes, I cant play WITH!!!!! 24 hour clock and cargo disp on the same time? Lastes I find a versjon Android WITH!!!!! 24 hour clock
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

"patch" is a proposed change to the source code to add some feature. To use it you need to build the program yourself from its source code. It involves things like c++ compilers patch programs, and build tools. Not difficult if you want to learn it, but it's not a 3-click "install and run" process by a long shot, think several days of experimenting at least if you never did this.

"patchpack" is a variant of openttd with a lot of patches in it. It is a program that you can install and run, just like normal openttd. The JGR patchpack is used often currently, you can find its topic in the development forum. The usual place for starting is the first post of the thread, which is often used as an overview of what is available in the patchpack, details of how to get the version, and often a list of history.

There is also a mobile version of openttd. It should also have a topic in the development forum. No idea what it contains. Check the first post, as that is the most promising place to find relevant information.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “General OpenTTD”