TTO MIDI files in OpenTTD (was: “well,”)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

TTO MIDI files in OpenTTD (was: “well,”)

Post by thatguy1 »

where can I find Transport Tycoon (not deluxe, I mean TTO) MIDI soundtrack? I want to add it to OpenTTD but I don't have the CD and also, as I said, I can't find it.
Last edited by orudge on 06 May 2019 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Renamed topic
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: well,

Post by Redirect Left »

You would need to buy it from somewhere. It is assumably copyrighted and therefor we cannot simply give it to you. You need to either buy a copy off like eBay, or... use your imagination to acquire it.

and also, better titles for your threads would be a good thing to do too.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

Redirect Left wrote:You would need to buy it from somewhere. It is assumably copyrighted and therefor we cannot simply give it to you. You need to either buy a copy off like eBay, or... use your imagination to acquire it.

and also, better titles for your threads would be a good thing to do too.
I have no money, I'm serious! Also, I find some results with original TTD soundtrack MIDI files, why anyone didn't make TTO version!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The MIDI files that you can find in various locations come from the Windows version of the game, and there was never a Windows version of TTO.

However, jfs added support to OpenTTD for playing the music out of the .cat files that shipped with TTO and DOS TTD. It’s in OpenTTD 1.9. I’m not sure how you use it as I’ve not tried, but perhaps he can help.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TTO MIDI files in OpenTTD (was: “well,”)

Post by jfs »

For the TTO music, you take the GM.CAT file from a TTO installation, copy it to your OpenTTD baseset folder, and rename the file to GM-TTO.CAT, then it should automatically be detected.

Note that all the tunes in TTO are also in TTD, unchanged, except for the title theme :) (The TTO theme is better!)
thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

jfs wrote:For the TTO music, you take the GM.CAT file from a TTO installation, copy it to your OpenTTD baseset folder, and rename the file to GM-TTO.CAT, then it should automatically be detected.

Note that all the tunes in TTO are also in TTD, unchanged, except for the title theme :) (The TTO theme is better!)
but... what about getting the TTO main theme MIDI for free? Seriously, you don't seem to help me much.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

jfs has been very helpful in explaining how you can actually get the TTO soundtrack to work in OpenTTD, so being a little more polite wouldn't hurt.

Redirect Left already explained how you can find it. A quick Google search will likely find it for you. In fact, a link can be found on these very forums if you have a look.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

If you go on over to the General Transport Tycoon section, you'll find the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3407
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

And if you want a standard MID file of the music (so you can play it outside OpenTTD) then there is also a console command that can dump the currently playing song to a file. E.g. on the title screen you could use this console command:

Code: Select all

dumpsmf title.mid
That will create "title.mid" in your Screenshots folder
thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

Supercheese wrote:If you go on over to the General Transport Tycoon section, you'll find the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3407
but... an paid game published publicly by some guy who bought it? L- Lemme tell you: It's pirating! I don't want to download paid things published by others for free!
I just want the General MIDI files from the game!
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
thatguy1 wrote:
Supercheese wrote:If you go on over to the General Transport Tycoon section, you'll find the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3407
but... an paid game published publicly by some guy who bought it? L- Lemme tell you: It's pirating! I don't want to download paid things published by others for free!
If you don't want to pirate the game, buy it.
thatguy1 wrote:I just want the General MIDI files from the game!
The midi files are part of the game. For the rest, see above.

Tschö, Auge
thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

Auge wrote:Hello
thatguy1 wrote:

Tschö, Auge
I said: I don't have money...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

thatguy1 wrote:
thatguy1 wrote: but... an paid game published publicly by some guy who bought it? L- Lemme tell you: It's pirating! I don't want to download paid things published by others for free!

Tschö, Auge
Then its time for you to reconsider pretty much everything. If you cannot afford an ancient game, you're going to struggle in life where everything costs money.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

thatguy1 wrote:
I just want the General MIDI files from the game!
As has been mentioned, the files in the original Transport Tycoon are not in .mid format. If you want to get them in .mid format, you will need to buy or download TTO, then use the 'dumpsmf' command in the latest version of OpenTTD to extract the music to MIDI format. As has also been pointed out, all tracks in TTO are in TTD, except for the title theme.

You can also find all the music, in a variety of formats, on my web site. The MIDI files you could put into OpenTTD (again, it doesn't have the TTO title theme), and the others you could just play with a normal media player.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
thatguy1 wrote:
Auge wrote:If you don't want to pirate the game, buy it. … The midi files are part of the game. For the rest, see above.
You disclaim to pirate the game but you want to pirate the games music. Find the fault!

Tschö, Auge
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

So, here's the reality - you're probably not going to find a copy of TTO for a reasonable price or in reasonable condition to allow you to recover the MIDI files.

Here's the other reality - there are no more legitimate retail copies of TTO being sold. If they are sold, it's through third party private owner reselling their copy. Since there are no more retail copies, by downloading the pirated version you are not depriving Chris Sawyer or any software developer, distributor or corporation of a single penny. There are not government or private agencies which are lurking and trying to hunt down, prosecute and jail individuals who download or even distribute TTO.

Would I help you find a copy of TTO? No. But, others have. It's free information for you to either use or not use.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

It seems to me that everything has been explained, just go ahead and do it!
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

thatguy1 wrote:
Auge wrote:If you don't want to pirate the game, buy it. … The midi files are part of the game. For the rest, see above.
You disclaim to pirate the game but you want to pirate the games music. Find the fault!

Tschö, Auge
What. How is it music pirating?
I mean, most people on Scratch in its project use music from the soundtrack of an game, and yet, nobody there, even the Scratch Team, considers it "music pirating". :|
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

thatguy1 wrote: What. How is it music pirating?
I mean, most people on Scratch in its project use music from the soundtrack of an game, and yet, nobody there, even the Scratch Team, considers it "music pirating". :|
Was that particular game (or its music) released to public domain?
thatguy1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thatguy1 »

vrn wrote:
thatguy1 wrote: What. How is it music pirating?
Was that particular game (or its music) released to public domain?
I don't know what you meant, as I suck at English, but all I can say is:
TTO soundtrack was released on youtube, with the highest quality soundtrack coming from Choicest VGM, but there is also an HD remix, ikr

Return to “General OpenTTD”