Eurovision Song Contest, 2019

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2019

Post by kamnet »

With fans and artists starting to arrive in Tel Aviv, the Israeli government is ramping up propaganda against the BDS movement by purchasing the domain www.boycotteurovision.net and re-directing visitors to a pro-Israeli tourism site.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/isra ... t-n1004156
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well that is clever. You cannot boycott it if the boycott does not exist.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The time is upon us! It's Eurovision week, a week of pure unrated cheesyness.

Semi Finals (or qualifying stages) are on Tuesday & Thursday at 19:00, with both lasting about 2 hours 10 minutes.
Finals are on Saturday at 19:00, and last 3 hours 40.
All times are UTC.

If you just can't wait, the Youtube channel of Eurovision has some of the rehearsals ready to view now. It also has the pre-recorded versions for all songs on there too!
Last edited by Redirect Left on 13 May 2019 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Chrill wrote:We'll win this year. Sorry guys.
While I don't actually believe this, bookies are at least calling us as 2nd favourite behind the Netherlands. I think a top 5 is easily on the cards, top 3 possible too. If we compare how we did in the last two years with vastly weaker songs, this year should do better. In 2018, we received the lowest number of televotes but the international juries always vote for Sweden regardless.
My Scenarios:
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Hope India takes part one day.
Nothing to put here!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

SomeIndianGuy wrote:Hope India takes part one day.
Possibly, given you don't need to be in the EU to take part (see: Azerbaijan, Australia etc). You just need to get one of your TV channels to work up a working relationship with the Eurpeon Broadcasting Union (EBU).

I have found the best two songs to use to explain to people who haven't watched before, exactly what Eurovision is all about.

Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Cezar's "It's my Life" is genuinely a great song. Wolves of the Sea not so much.

I loved Iceland yesterday. On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is a generic pop song on the radio and 10 is Lordi's Hard Rock Hallelujah, Iceland was 11. Australia was also up there, maybe a 9.

Happy to see lovely "Leonard Cohen" Serhat of San Marino make it to the finals too. There is nothing wrong with 70s Baccara style disco. It sounded exactly as if Leonard Cohen sang "Yes Sir I can Boogie".

My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:Cezar's "It's my Life" is genuinely a great song. Wolves of the Sea not so much.
The Latvian entry I use to demonstrate the sort of mad chaos that is to be expected at Eurovision, more than any actual singing talent.

I made some predictions for who would get through last night, and I managed to get 9/10. The only one i didn't expect to get through based on their performance was Slovenia, but did so.
Hungary it's a sad one for too, first time they've not qualified this decade.

There's also some other news;

Jon Ola Sand, everyones favourite executive supervisor revealed that there were just two votes between positions #10 & #11, however he didn't reveal who those two countries were, and we can't tell from the order of announcement last night, as they're all done in a random order. https://twitter.com/jonolasand/status/1 ... 5288078336

Potentially an American Eurovision coming up in a few years time; https://twitter.com/wiwibloggs/status/1 ... 3713456128

Now San Marino has qualified, for only the second time, I'd love to see them win & host it, with their tiny micro-state and just 33.4K population.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 15 May 2019 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

TWO votes? That is crazy.

I failed to call aforementioned San Marino, but I did get the other 9.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I am really hoping that after the competition is over, Jon will reveal who the two countries seperated by 2 votes were.

Thursday should be fun, we have some big hitting ever popular countries coming, I hope they don't wash over smaller countries that perform well on the night.

Unfortunately there was also some sad news that emerged, an Israeli worker who was helping prepare for the Semi-Finals was severely injured when a lighting rig fell on him, he died in the early hours of this morning. https://www.timesofisrael.com/worker-in ... dent-dies/
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:I am really hoping that after the competition is over, Jon will reveal who the two countries seperated by 2 votes were.
They always reveal both the results (positions) as well as the voting for every individual country. We will find out not only which two countries were separate by this little, we will also see if there are any countries who disproportionately favoured one or the other!
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well tonight passed without any major surprises. A little disappointed Ireland didn't get through, but i expected it.

I absolutely loved the Finnish song, so I hope that goes well on Saturday for them.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Finnish song? Well, that one is out already. Which one are you referring to? :P
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Oh, durrrr. I always get those two countries mixed up, I meant Norwegian :p
The Swedish entry was also very good on the night. I suspected the gentleman might not hold it together on the night, and might end up like last year's Czech entry, and it vocally went a bit everywhere but sounded ace in the pre-recorded stuff.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Norwegian... well, I laughed. A lot. The joik was spectacular.

The Swedish entry was performed poorly in the semi finals. It looked far better in the Swedish Melodifestivalen, and I have high hope he will step up a notch. I also have high hopes that the lovely choir (he calls them 'The Mamas') will be heard more clearly tomorrow. They did not get the audio right in the semi finals.

I don't see what the big fuss is about regarding Netherlands. It's a solid mediocre pop ballad. A song that sits perfectly as P8 or something.

My favourite this year might be Iceland (it has got the Lordi factor!), but I am fond of Czech Republic and Russia as well as Sweden and Australia.
My Scenarios:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Work has prevented my enjoying the semi finals this time round, but I’ve now seen every song and done my usual scorecard routine.

I understand the rumour is Portugal were 11th on Tuesday and loads of people were moaning they couldn’t vote for them because the number was blocked.

I must say I had Portugal in my top 5 on what I felt was a very poor night, Australia aside. So...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I did not have Portugal in my top 10, it was a horrible 3 minutes. I am happy it is out. Curious to find out who "gained" a place in the finals on their behalf.

Tonight is the night. Can anyone challenge Netherlands? Most likely not, but if someone can it might just be Switzerland. Sleeper hit? Australia is 2nd in the standings, and Sweden always do well amongst the juries but last year tanked completely with the viewers. Considering the lack of talk about Sweden, I think a top 5 is as good as we will get and a top 10 more likely.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Jon Ola Sand is back on Twitter, with some more incredulous news from Thursday. The difference from 10th and 11th was this time one point. I wonder who they were! The 2nnd qualifying stage was also slightly less balance between jury & public votes, but still agreed on 7 / 10.
the tweet

Shalva band on Thursday were amazing to watch as an interval act, meanwhile for the final we have varying Eurovisions acts of the past performing other Eurovisions acts from the past songs, for a bit of a muddle up, oh and there's a woman called Madonna, no idea.

I'm off out to Morrisons to collect the popcorn and other goodies for the evening of Eurovision!

Here are my predictions for who'll end up in the top 10;

Netherlands
Sweden
Iceland
Australia
Denmark
Azerbaijan
Russia
Switzerland
Spain
Norway

I also reckon the UK may break into the top 15 this year, but we'll see!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I love your rankings, Adam, but I think the Nordics won't fare so well...

Netherlands
Switzerland
Australia
Russia
Azerbaijan
Sweden
Iceland
France
Italy
Norway
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”