Boulder Breakers Maxed Out

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

M6AEY
Engineer
Engineer

Boulder Breakers Maxed Out

Post by M6AEY »

Hi Guys, I am a new member so great to be here and hopefully get some suggestions for something I've been wanting to do for a long time.

I started playing the Android version of Transport Tycoon and always wanted a version I could play on PC with the same layout(s) as the app. OpenTTD is an awesome game but it wasn't quite what I was after. Just a few days ago I found Locomotion on steam and thought I'd give it a go (£4.67 or something silly so not much to lose) and I was gobsmacked to discover it is essentially the same game as Transport Tycoon on my tablet!

Sorry if this is old news to you guys, I was just so excited I've not only spent the whole weekend playing Locomotion I have just bought the PC game on eBay (£3.99 with free delivery!) so I can use the mods that are available and play without having to update steam everytime I try and open the game

I am now able to try something I have always wanted to do with the added benefit of a mouse, keyboard and a big screen. Namely, make the largest most overblown Boulder Breakers level I can...

I'm talking about city populations in the thousands upon thousands and expanding the game map until there is no ocean. I know this might sound totally pointless but Boulder Breakers is my favourite level for the simple reason that it is so simple but can be expanded. I've done run throughs where I add airports and build extra industries (not sure if can do this in Locomotion but will search forum for answers) but have only ever doubled the size of the original map. Now I want to keep going until all you can see is green!

Please let me know your thoughts, I look forward to feedback, suggestions and advice. Even if it's just to say get a life I can take it :lol:

Thanks in advance

Jim
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Boulder Breakers Maxed Out

Post by Redirect Left »

The titles of these games are a bit misleading.

Transport Tycoon on the app store is actually a port of Locomotion, which is an old game released in 2004ish by Chris Sawyer, who made Transport Tycoon & Transport Tycoon Deluxe which date back to 1994.
Later on, Chris decided to make a sequel, but he went to a few too many theme parks and he changed his plans, he then made Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, and a few year later, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 back in 1999 & 2002.

Locomotion is the same engine as Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, he eventually went back to his plans for a sequel after doing Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 using the what he'd done for the RCT games as a base.

Skip to present day, for some reason Locomotion got put on app stores as Transport Tycoon, the original simulator by Chris Sawyer.
If you've not checked it out, it is worth actually playing Transport Tycoon, the real one, rather than the Transport Tycoon that is actually Locomotion.

OpenTTD is a remake of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Which is why it wouldn't have been what you were looking for, from the App store version of 'Transport Tycoon', which... it isn't anything to do with anyway. I'm not sure who was responsible for those switching of names on the app store, but they really do try their best to confuse and mislead!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
M6AEY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by M6AEY »

Hi RdL

Thanks for you reply, I guessed it would be something like that. No doubt Train games don't rank as high in SEO terms as Transport games (even though they are clearly the same genre)

I'm just waiting for the CD rom version to arrive so I can getaway from using steam. I'm happy to write off the £4.67 I spent as it brought me to the game and this forum so good a investment.

OpenTTD is a great game but I've always loved the gameplay of what I now know is Locomotion.

I know it's a 15 year old video game and it's probably been surpassed by countless other games you need high computers to play on but for me and my little second hand laptop it is something I can spend all day playing

I've already picked up a technique from the forum I'm ashamed to admit I never thought of trying. Double tracks with fewer wagons. Tried it last night and my income went through the roof

Thanks for taking the time to explain Googles error and hope to see you on the boards (or footplates lol) soon

Regards

Jim
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

If for any reason the CD might not work out and you don't want to use Steam, remember that gog.com has Locomotion in a DRM-free option as well.

Also there's some great Locomotion mods with trainsets and such out there, on the forums and AMI Trains. It's a bit slower now, but they've made some amazing stuff.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
M6AEY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by M6AEY »

Hi Lobster

I've checked AMI out and see there is a huge selection of mods and packs to be had. Thank you for gog.com suggestion, If the CD doesn't work I will head over there. I think I've bought this game 3 times on Google Play, once on Steam and again on CD ROM so I can sleep soundly downloading it from there lol.

When I have the correct version I fully intend to make use of mods but I do see that the forum users here rightly think trainer programs are for messing around and experimenting and not to gain any sense of achievement so I will be limiting my use of these to auto pause and sandbox. If something is worth doing it is worth doing well.

One thing I have discovered that I don't know if the Android port could do or not is naming individual vehicles. I'm a huge fan of the Railway Detective series of books by Edward Marston so I've taken to naming my trains after figures from the novels. I don't know enough about actual rail travel to name them after famous loco's (Flying Scotsmans, Thomas perhaps :? )

I'm also getting to grips with controls after years of using a touchscreen. The whole game is far superior on a PC to a tablet or phone. Can't wait to delve deeper :)

Regards

Jim
M6AEY
Engineer
Engineer

Post by M6AEY »

So bit of an update...

I have used the Wrapper tool to create no breakdown no obsoletion DAT's so the the game is essentially running on auto pilot with a steady 22% efficiency rating. It is currently the year 2655 sand I have 20 billion in the bank (!) so I can now start terraforming like crazy.

Quick question is there a way of increasing the brush size of the terraforming tool so I can raise and lower huge areas instead of what I presume is 16x16 (I'm assuming this is part of CS's game build as everything is related to squares on a map)

I could probably do it manually in a couple of hours but if there is away of doing it quicker I can move on to growing the 3 cities out and building my empire!

Thanks in advance and screenshots to follow if anyone is interested

Regards as always

Jim
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:The titles of these games are a bit misleading.

Skip to present day, for some reason Locomotion got put on app stores as Transport Tycoon, the original simulator by Chris Sawyer.
If you've not checked it out, it is worth actually playing Transport Tycoon, the real one, rather than the Transport Tycoon that is actually Locomotion.
The reason why is because Chris Sawyer considers Locomotion to be the next "spiritual successor" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It's where he intended to take the franchise all along. He never wanted it to be called "Chris Sawyer's Locomotion", that was out of his hands. Once he got all of properties back, he finished what he intended.

Return to “Off-Topic”