How to patch OpenTTD?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DasRHH
Engineer
Engineer

How to patch OpenTTD?

Post by DasRHH »

Hello,
I'm pretty new to this whole OpenTTD scene and I have literally no idea how to patch something. I found no explanation on this that I could understand, so I hope somebody of could help me.
I would like to install the "Automated timetables and separation" patch to optimize my trains and busses so they don't just drive in a convoy but in a perfect distance from each other.
I would really appreciate it when somebody could help me.
Also I am really bad at programming so as simple as possible for me please :bow:
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to patch OpenTTD?

Post by jfs »

There is no simple explanation because it's not simple.

Your first task would be to compile unmodified OpenTTD. That's setting up the compiler, getting the source code, getting the dependencies, and making it build and run.

Then's applying the patch, if it's anything non-trivial, and isn't being maintained (may even be many years old), this may take anywhere from a few minutes to many days, and in some cases may as well be a complete rewrite of the patch, depending on its age.
Applying the patch is by the way not a purely mechanical process. If any part of it fails to merge automatically you will need to read and understand the code, so you can make the appropriate changes. And this is why in some cases applying an old patch can involve rewriting parts or all of it.

Finally is maintaining the patch, which is keeping up with changes in the master branch and continually merging those in, if you want to stay up to date.

However if you really just want to play a game with it, don't do any of the above and instead get someone else's patchpack that includes it. Of course then you may get more than you wish for.
DasRHH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DasRHH »

Ok, thanks for your answer. I will try some patch packs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

DasRHH wrote:Ok, thanks for your answer. I will try some patch packs.
JGR Patch Pack is the best way to go. Despite the many patches it includes, most of them don't interfere in how standard OpenTTD is played, it just makes more options available to you.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”