Country Roads (NRT)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Country Roads (NRT)

Post by Wolf01 »

THIS is exactly what I was waiting for NRT
Great work Kruemelchen!
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Wolf01 wrote:THIS is exactly what I was waiting for NRT
Great work Kruemelchen!
Thank you :)

Meanwhile I finished drawing the lock graphics in all 4 'canal' styles due to a flu haunting me ...

Besides, you may now download a version 0.2 in THIS THREAD.

A future version may contain NewObjects like transitions, small harbours etc., though I don't mind someone stepping in and drawing/coding some ideas :mrgreen:
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Hello, I hope that with NRT now in trunk/master this wonderful grf will be contined/finished, specially the canaltype part :)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Wolf01 wrote:Hello, I hope that with NRT now in trunk/master this wonderful grf will be contined/finished, specially the canaltype part :)
Thank you for your interest :)

I'm really pleased NRT made it into trunk. However, I hope we will see some new features included throughout the year (i.e. the ones noted in Frosch's NRT docs), which would make the experience much nicer I think.

The most wanted thing I can't realise at the current feature set are proper transitions between types, since I can't check for adjacent tiles or level crossings. Neither I can draw different station graphics.

But only with those features (or more) included into master I can really finish my sets.

Besides that, is there something in particular you want to see included in the canal set? I cannot really work on it until the end of this year, so I can only publish amendments until then, but I can keep it in mind when I finally come to it :)

PS: next version of country roads will feature a furt / river-crossing. However, it has to be placed manually since I can't check adjacent tiles :(
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Here is a small preview of fords that can be 'waded across' by off-road trucks (snow graphics):
furts over rivers.png
furts over rivers.png (36.21 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
The speed is limited to ca. 5 kmh for both trucks and boats, for realism and 'cheating' prevention :twisted:

PS: I'm not yet sure if I will provide special graphics for trucks to immerse a water crossing. Might be too much work ;)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Kruemelchen wrote:Here is a small preview of fords that can be 'waded across' by off-road trucks (snow graphics):furts over rivers.png
Ha ha, that's awesome, it's like 2008 came calling :D

viewtopic.php?p=703310#p703310
andythenorth in 2008 wrote:I am try to work out if we can do a ford element. I'm guessing we can't drive through water (sprite engine probably wouldn't know how to do that; no alpha support on water), but I think we might be able to fake something like it with a bridge just above the water. Any thoughts?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Welcome to the future :lol:

I also wanted to make my water roads runnable on sea-level (which technically is no problem...), but I can't check for height of the tile, so that feature won't make it into the GRF graphical-wise :(
(you can of course hide the 'canal borders' with NewObjects, but I like the lazy approach ;) )
how to build sea level water ways ;)
how to build sea level water ways ;)
sea level canal.png (46.23 KiB) Viewed 8374 times
(at the upper shore you can see how waterways can blend over with streets if the waterroad is below the street (i.e. is being drawn over it). At the lower shore you see a mud slope, which can only be taken by off-road trucks)

On a different note ... here is the second part of street covering snow:
Light Snow covering. GPLv2.
Light Snow covering. GPLv2.
road_deco_snow_scattered.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
Please use this in your sets as you please :)

PS: The first part (heavier snow) can be found here.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

:o
Really astounding
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Can you make the different waterways separate roadtypes, so that the player isn't forced to choose between them in spite of having 64 roadtype slots? Also, a roadtype which is just an ocean tile graphic would allow you to make ocean waterways.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 10 May 2019 14:31 Here is a small preview of fords that can be 'waded across' by off-road trucks (snow graphics):furts over rivers.png
The speed is limited to ca. 5 kmh for both trucks and boats, for realism and 'cheating' prevention :twisted:

PS: I'm not yet sure if I will provide special graphics for trucks to immerse a water crossing. Might be too much work ;)
Are the fords a roadtype or an overlapping object ?

Also, excuse me if that's just a stupid question, but I thought waterbuses would be able to go on both roadtypes at about the same speed ? :|
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Kruemelchen wrote: 10 May 2019 16:19 ...
Can I have a copy of the source code of the waterways, please? Thank you.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

SimYouLater wrote: 13 Aug 2019 04:44 Can you make the different waterways separate roadtypes, so that the player isn't forced to choose between them in spite of having 64 roadtype slots? Also, a roadtype which is just an ocean tile graphic would allow you to make ocean waterways.
At the time of creation there were only 16 slots, hence the decisions during initial development. I am considering separating them into several 'styles', but wasn't sure on how to separate all 5 styles: river, concrete, concrete w/ white fence, concrete w/ green fence, concrete w/ flowers.
Do you prefer to have 5 different styles to choose from, or just three with varying decorations by town zone?
SimYouLater wrote: 17 Aug 2019 04:27 Can I have a copy of the source code of the waterways, please? Thank you.
The version 0.2 is still up to date, which source code has been provided here
acs121 wrote: 14 Aug 2019 12:44Are the fords a roadtype or an overlapping object ?

Also, excuse me if that's just a stupid question, but I thought waterbuses would be able to go on both roadtypes at about the same speed ? :|
I've implemented the fords as a roadtype, because it would have support for both ships and off-road trucks, so you would place it via road build menu.

No, that's not a stupid question ;) Usually 'waterbuses' or amphibious trucks have different speeds for a) road b) off-road c) water, where the last is usually measured in knots and speed-wise considerably slower than on-land. And this is because of pure physics ;)

As for fords, they are shallow so that trucks can pass them, so big ships cannot run over it because they lie too deep in the water. But even small ships would need to slow down I guess, so they wouldn't cast big waves which would endanger crossing trucks or damage the bank the trucks are taking. Also it could be argued everyone would need to pay attention.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Hello Kruemelchen,

Hope you have no objection if Andrew360 and myself use your snow for the RattRoads we are making?

The heavy snow and street covering snow look excellent.

Cheers pal

GarryG
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Hello GarryG,

nice hearing from you :)
GarryG wrote: 11 Jan 2020 02:50 Hope you have no objection if Andrew360 and myself use your snow for the RattRoads we are making?

The heavy snow and street covering snow look excellent.
Please, go ahead, you can use it any way you like ;)
(its GPL'ed)

And thank you, I really like what you guys are doing with RattRoads! I'm following the thread, I'm looking forward using it in my next savegame :3

Cheers

Krümelchen
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thank you Krumelchen very much appreciated.

I bit old fashioned, although your work is GPL I still like to show appreciation and ask still. A bit like when our mum cook a cake we know it for us but still ask her o have a piece :D

All my roads for AuzRattRoads are snow aware using your snow. I used your street covering snow and put the heavy stuff on stop so it shows a splash of snow.

Hope have a test sample available in a day or three. My computer crashed yesterday. I got it going again and lucky not lose any work, but have the boring task loading programs back on.

Cheers

Garry
Soot Happens
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Thought you would like to see your snow being used elsewhere such as with railway lines.
Snow Ploughed-1.png
Snow Ploughed-1.png (29.89 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
Just a bit of tweaking to do before I can let people try.

Thanks again for being able to use your project.
Soot Happens
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Hi Garry,

thank you for letting me see that railway preview, I'll definitely use this in my games when it's released! :D
GarryG wrote: 17 Jan 2020 00:52 I bit old fashioned, although your work is GPL I still like to show appreciation and ask still. A bit like when our mum cook a cake we know it for us but still ask her o have a piece :D
This is very much appreciated, Garry :)
I'm very glad something I made is good enough to be considered reusable by others :wink:

Definitely looking forward AuzRattRoads, actually I'm using your GRFs quite a lot in my games!

Cheers

Krümelchen
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I've got some addition for the upcoming release of version 0.3 of this GRF: Frozen River Roads! 8)
Frozen River Road Type
Frozen River Road Type
icyroadtype.png (54.48 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
... now you can "ship" your cargo through the tundra, using frozen rivers as your natural streets.
But beware, it could melt when spring is coming :twisted: (just kidding)

PS: it looks good as glacier too :wink:

PPS: I'm not sure anyone notices this, but the road types of this set now support soft edges to make for a more natural transition between road types :wink:
(atm waterway road types only, but country roads might follow)

Kruemelchen
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Finally, the final version out now! :D

Country Roads 1.0
  • new 'feature': finer road transitions
  • bugfix: finer snow marker poles (finally!!)
  • change: parameter clean up, so compatibility was broken
  • addition: French (finally!! :oops: ) and Japanese translations
I'll push it to Bananas in the next couple of days or when I come to it
Attachments
CountryRoads_1_0.7z
Source File (v. 1.0)
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
countryroads.grf
GRF File (v. 1.0)
(343.2 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Kruemelchen wrote: 21 Apr 2020 00:53 Finally, the final version out now! :D

Country Roads 1.0
  • new 'feature': finer road transitions
  • bugfix: finer snow marker poles (finally!!)
  • change: parameter clean up, so compatibility was broken
  • addition: French (finally!! :oops: ) and Japanese translations
I'll push it to Bananas in the next couple of days or when I come to it
I've included these in the GPL Roadtype Collection, with realistic (very slow) speed limits. Full credits to you, Kruemelchen, since I barely modified your code.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.

Return to “Graphics Development”