Savegame sorting is broken on XP [Sorted]

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Savegame sorting is broken on XP [Sorted]

Post by SirkoZ »

Since 1.9.0 and in latest, 1.9.1 OpenTTD edition, savegame sorting (by date) always returns games sorted by name in OpenTTD under Windows XP.
So much for throwing out nasty home-grown code, STL is going to sort all your problems - by name. :)
Last edited by SirkoZ on 18 Sep 2019 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Savegame sorting is broken on XP

Post by peter1138 »

The STL changes came after 1.9, so it's not that. Here is the correct link for reporting issues: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Well I wanted to post the bug report there, but the good Microsoft github thing informed me that my browser is too old.
To hell with Microsoft github I said and posted the problem here so you at least know about it.

I don't know why you all had to move to github - popularity? No matter. Problem is reported.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm fairly convinced nobody will be working to fix this. let XP die.

also, please do the world a favour and don't go on the internet with an outdated browser. thanks.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
SirkoZ wrote: 10 Sep 2019 10:30 What business is it of yours what I use?
You do not alone endanger yourself with using an OS that is outdated since more than five years. Because of outdated software on your outdated OS you endanger others by running OS and software with unfixed bugs and security issues, that get exploited by criminals. So your computer ends with almost certainly as source for malware distribution and attacks on other people computers. And you probably will never spot it.

So it's an indirect business of everyone when people run broken systems.

Tschö, Auge
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I don't even think the official builds of OpenTTD 1.9+ run on Windows XP, they're built with the Visual C++ 2017 or 2019 toolset and I don't think either supports XP as a target.
So where are you getting a build that runs on XP?
lukasz1985
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by lukasz1985 »

I also have windows XP and 1.9.2 version, I downloaded in on the openttd main page. Also, the savegame sorting is broken on my PC.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

First, I'm confirming the bug. From the fast glance it seems like the "name" sort works, but the "date" one sorts by names. The XP SP 3 support is stated on the "official" download page, so it's logical to ask for a fix.
Second, I'd suggest to do some homework before calling XP "outdated since more than five years". The latest semi-official patch for XP was posted (by Microsoft) in June of this year (2019). This topic will tell you more if you are interested. The Firefox updates ended in June 2018, but I haven't heard about anything terribly bad introduced since then.
rowdog
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rowdog »

bjgttd wrote: 10 Sep 2019 18:45 The Firefox updates ended in June 2018, but I haven't heard about anything terribly bad introduced since then.
Then you haven't been paying attention to the right sources. Here's the list of serious security fixes for Firefox 68 and worse than that, the current version is 69 and it fixes even more vulnerabilities. I expect there are many other fixes that aren't even on this list.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... sa2019-21/

There's no way XP is secure anymore. It's sort of okay for a machine that you play old games on but you really shouldn't connect it to the internet.

Wikipedia says "On April 14, 2009, Windows XP exited mainstream support and entered the extended support phase; Microsoft continued to provide security updates every month for Windows XP, however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes were no longer being offered. Extended support ended on April 8, 2014"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#End_of_support
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... of-support

So yeah, you really shouldn't be on the internet at all with XP.

Edit: If you are really broke and don't know what to do about getting an up to date OS, I'd like to point out the Linux is free.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

rowdog wrote: 10 Sep 2019 21:18 Edit: If you are really broke and don't know what to do about getting an up to date OS, I'd like to point out the Linux is free.
Not to distract from the issue of the broken savegame sorting, but there are people who like to play certain games on period-appropriate equipment. OpenTTD on Windows XP is certainly fine, especially if the computer is sitting behind an appropriately configured router. I do not currently have any XP machines on my network, but the last time I did I never once had an issue with random crap breaking through my firewall, and I never installed random crap software which might make my system vulnerable.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
kamnet wrote: 11 Sep 2019 01:37 Not to distract from the issue of the broken savegame sorting, but there are people who like to play certain games on period-appropriate equipment.
It's completely ok to do so, but as rowdog stated:
rowdog wrote: 10 Sep 2019 21:18 It's sort of okay for a machine that you play old games on but you really shouldn't connect it to the internet.
Beside from that the argument "to play certain games on period-appropriate equipment" doesn't fit for OpenTTD.
bjgttd wrote: 10 Sep 2019 18:45 Second, I'd suggest to do some homework before calling XP "outdated since more than five years". The latest semi-official patch for XP was posted (by Microsoft) in June of this year (2019).
The official support for Windows XP ended in April 2014. A fix, built for customers of the extended Windows-XP-support, that is unknown to the most non-customers of this extended Windows-XP-support – call it "semi-official" as you want – doesn't change the official end of life of Windows XP in 2014. I know, what I am talking about. In our company we have a few VM with Windows XP an even we cut the network connection to the world outside the intranet I installed all post-official-end-of-life-fixes that was distributed to the public (May 2017: KB4012598 (Wannacry), May 2019 KB4500331 (RDP-gap)). But these few patches makes the OS not nearly secure.

If you want to play OpenTTD on Windows XP, do so. That changes nothing regarding the general status of Windows XP being outdated.

Tschö, Auge
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

kamnet wrote: 11 Sep 2019 01:37 Not to distract from the issue of the broken savegame sorting, but there are people who like to play certain games on period-appropriate equipment. OpenTTD on Windows XP is certainly fine, especially if the computer is sitting behind an appropriately configured router. I do not currently have any XP machines on my network, but the last time I did I never once had an issue with random crap breaking through my firewall, and I never installed random crap software which might make my system vulnerable.
I could understand playing OpenTTD 0.7 on Windows XP, but OpenTTD 1.9 is a 2019 version.
Transport Tycoon Deluxe is a 1995 game, and the Windows version is from 1997 or 1998 I believe, so Windows 98 would be more appropriate for retro-gaming. (Remember, the Windows version of TTD does not work on Windows 2000 and XP without TTDPatch!)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I quite agree with the comments above about XP being unsupported and a potential security risk if you have it online.

I have put together a fix for the issue reported though, available here. Whether it gets approved for merging into OpenTTD depends on the other developers. Note that it's very likely that at some point more significant changes to OpenTTD may break functionality on XP completely, and at that point any XP users would need to work around the issues themselves, or stick with an older version. XP is nearing 20 years old now, and we can't be expected to maintain support for it forever, I'm afraid.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

orudge wrote: 11 Sep 2019 21:31 I have put together a fix for the issue reported...
XP is nearing 20 years old now...
Being over 50 years old myself I appreciate your efforts to support legacy systems. ;)
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Thank you so much, Owen.
I never liked Win 6.x* bloatware and likely never will, I hope ReactOS reaches usable state soon, because Linux just ain't it either. :-)

*If you look at "Win10" b1511 or 1607 in console "ver" says 6.4. Just so anyone knows...
And of course - lest we not forget this picture:

Thanks.
Attachments
windoze10_all_fixed.png
windoze10_all_fixed.png (103.48 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
BW89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BW89 »

ReactOS wont be a good Idea as a main OS in some time. It only supports Windows XP Software at the moment (no current browser etc).
The Only alternative without getting bankrupt (Mac :P ) to Windows 10 is a good Linux Distro like Manjaro or Pop OS.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

The fix should be in the next nightly.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Thank you so much Owen. This is now sorted and version 1.9.3 works correctly. Updating o. p. to [Sorted]. :mrgreen:

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”