Still going strong

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dwitcombe
Engineer
Engineer

Still going strong

Post by dwitcombe »

Hi, I was working on the original transport tycoon back in 1994, when it was published by microprose. Made me laugh when i saw my name had been given to the oil tankers. One of the most enjoyable games I ever worked on (xcom being the other)
This certainly brings back memories of the fantastic team we had at microprose and the fun times we had during the making testing and finally getting the games published.

Good to see a new generation taking this to greater heights.

Don Witcombe
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Still going strong

Post by PikkaBird »

It's such a great name for an oil tanker though!

As someone whose teenage Transport Tycoon obsession led to a number of interests and careers, thank you for your work and your inspiration. I hope, if you've played OpenTTD, that you don't judge our efforts too harshly. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

dwitcombe wrote:Hi, I was working on the original transport tycoon back in 1994
What was your role in development?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

No matter how great or how small your input was. I'm truly greateful for you registering here and posting with us. I doubt you knew back in 1994, we'd still be here 25 years later!

IMDB suggest you were a Quality Assurance tester, I'd love to know of any tidbits of information you gathered from that, anything that was cut, or a hilarious glitch that came up during testing?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

As others have said, thanks for your contribution towards the game - many weeks of my life (if not months) have been lost to it!
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

You did something very special - I have been playing different versions of it on and off since the demo of the original Transport Tycoon in 1995!

Return to “General OpenTTD”