No windows 9x version of 1.9.0 available?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eli van der Geest
Engineer
Engineer

No windows 9x version of 1.9.0 available?

Post by Eli van der Geest »

Is it seems that there is no windows 9x version anymore of openttd 1.90. Is that correct?

If so were can I get to download 1.8.0 for windows 9x? because i don't have the installer anymore. :cry:

Thank you all!

Edit: did find the older installer here: http://master.binaries.openttd.org/bina ... index.html So I at least can play the game again on my old pc :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No windows 9x version of 1.9.0 available?

Post by orudge »

You'll need to build it yourself, if you can - see viewtopic.php?p=1220346#p1220346 (although you'd need to use an older mingw32 in this case, MSVC 2017 will definitely not work). It's possible that some of the changes that have been put in in the past year (e.g., Windows-specific text rendering instead of ICU) might break compilation/execution on Windows 9x. Ultimately, there comes a point where it's no longer practical to support such old systems without holding the game as a whole back.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

Wow I'm surprised, I would though that maybe some bank would still have in a basement some PC running Win9X, but home people? :o

I work for banks and still do RDP to some WinNT 4.0, but those are extremely rare cases of some legacy app, that none really use and are just on for really rare access.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

3.1 is history.
95 is history.
98 is history.
Vista is history.
XP is history.
7 is still current but before long will move into history.

The issue is that with every evolution, there remain users who for a variety of valid reasons are unable to make the transition. For the most part it is financial, although in many cases it is the unavailability of sufficient bandwidth services. Whatever the reason, the user is challenged. Fortunately good used Windows10 systems are becoming available but the Windows10 GUI is very different from previous Windows GUIs.

Now we have another issue ... compiling a source. For the longest time we had msys but msys support seems to have evaporated. Msys2 stepped into the fold but, due to cygwin's dropping of XP support, Msys2 had to follow along. Visual Studio 2019 seems to work but it has a steep learning curve compared to msys and msys2. An example is how does one apply a patch to a configuration file before running make or make bundle, a very simple process with msys' and msys2's command prompt interface? Visual Studio 2019 is very much GUI based and is very complicated. OpenTTD master works well, but JGR's patch pack branch seems to fail with the solution/project functions even though they are included in the projects folder.

The Visual Studio 2019 help pages help a bit, but examples are for C# with gcc seeming to be largely ignored, and there is no mention of patching existing source code.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You can still use the "patch" tool from msys/msys2/cygwin.

I don't know for sure about JGR's patch pack, but possibly the VS projects need to be regenerated using the generate.vbs file in the "projects" folder.

Return to “General OpenTTD”