No sound???

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

No sound???

Post by Janssoni »

My OpenTTD is very silent. It does not say a thing. Not the faintest whisper. No music, no effects, no nothing.

My sounddriver is OpenSFX. No other sounddriver installed but it lets me choose OpenSFX... or then none. I listen while i play to the radio or something else through my comp, so it sure has sound, but OpenTTD does not, for some reason.

Can somebody help? Thank you.

--=janssoni=--
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: No sound???

Post by Eddi »

What operating system are you using?

Which version of OpenTTD?

Where did you get the package from? Did you build it yourself?

How are you starting OpenTTD?
Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Janssoni »

Eddi wrote:What operating system are you using?

Which version of OpenTTD?

Where did you get the package from? Did you build it yourself?

How are you starting OpenTTD?
I have version 1.18.0 downloaded from the offficial OpenTTD site on a Windows 10-comp. Just a normal build. I'm starting it as I do any other program from my desktop. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling but it still remains very silent.

--=heikki=--
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

I think, hope that is a typo.

The latest version is 1.9.1 downloadable from: https://www.openttd.org/downloads/opent ... atest.html

Suggest you use the 'installer' not the 'zip'

Ensure that you also download the three options, graphics,sound and music.

Best to make a clean install, if it does not work then it may be a problem with your computor.

Please come back if still a problem.
Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Janssoni »

Thanks for your kind answer.

I'm sorry to say that no change. Still no sound. It reports (ingame) OpenSFX , version is now 1.9.0, freshly installed with Win10-installer (I removed also the old OTTD folder), no music nor any effects though volume is set (from jukebox) to max, but computers sound is working (listening to radio in the background). (I tested it simply by making some busses ingame. It reports music: Unidentified Flying Scotsman)

Weird, I think.

Rgds.

--=janssoni=-

Oh, well, anyway the game is working! Though i miss the cool sound effects... 8)
pirogronian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pirogronian »

After upgrading to latest version, I had to download OpenSFX manually as an addon, despite I already had it installed in my system. Otherwise there is no sound.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

can you check the jukebox window in the game, if maybe the volume slider is at 0? (there are separate sliders for music and sfx)

also, try running with debug output like "openttd -d 3" and look for sound driver information.
Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Janssoni »

Thanks to everybody for kind interest in my problems.

I'm sorry but no.

No sound and no reports after starting Openttd from command line with options -d 3. Were those the options you meant?

Anyway, no reports at all. I have also tried to install OpenSFX manually, but the readme-file says: unzip "into the OpenTTD's /data directory". I can't find any /data-directory in my computer. I got the OpenTTD-folder (C:\users\user_name\openttd where there are 8 subfolders: ai, baseset, content_download, game, newgrf, save, scenario and screenshot - but there is no /data-folder. I can however see the SFX-subfolder in C\Program Files\OpenTTD\baseset\opensfx? That one?

I don't know what more I could do. Where does the zipfile go?

Thanks for your interest anyway.

Rgds
--=janssoni=--
Janssoni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Janssoni »

*** facepalm ***

Found it. My soundmixer did not send any sounds from the game to the speakers as default. I adjusted the soundmixer ... and, it WORKS. *Miracle*

I'm sorry to have bothered others with my silly problems. Thanks.

*facepalm*

--=janssoni=--
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No worries! It's all part of the pain and the joy we all share in playing this game. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Janssoni wrote:I have also tried to install OpenSFX manually, but the readme-file says: unzip "into the OpenTTD's /data directory". I can't find any /data-directory in my computer.
that readme is outdated, there used to be a "data" directory, but now that is split into "baseset" and "newgrf", as appropriate. OpenSFX would go into "baseset" then.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”