EoT

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

EoT

Post by Wahazar »

I created small newgrf: End of Track - bumpers as objects.
Project is available on bananas: https://bananas.openttd.org/en
Source code: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/eot/repository

You can place bumper on the tile adjacent to any tile with track, this bumper will try to adapt its orientation to this track.
four bumper layouts are available, for straight track, diagonal (v, h) track and double diagonal tracks:
example of EoT
example of EoT
example.png (188.87 KiB) Viewed 10029 times
In case of standard openttd, it is just eye-candy add-on.
But in case of infrastructure sharing patch, such objects can be used for securing attempt to your track by unauthorized companies.
Of course there already are bumpers in ISR station set, but making additional station is often not feasible (maintenance costs, town rating, label etc).
Bumpers as objects are also more convenient to use than station pieces (works like terrain property signs, but are cheaper and looks better if used as track terminals).
Last edited by Wahazar on 01 Apr 2019 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Tony Pixel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: EoT

Post by Tony Pixel »

Magnificent GRF, I think it's very userful for decoration of the map or screenshot competitions, nice work!
Image Image
Sprite artist and NewGRF developer, coding in NML. My projects:
NewGRFs: Not Enough Subways Set | North American Passenger Railroads | Elevated Subway Bridge | Tony Pixel's Subway Equipment Set (frozen)
Screenshots: New York City Subway Episodes
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I don't think that "buffers as objects" is a sound concept since they're missing the tracks (vehicles will fall off the track before reaching those buffers).

Buffers as part of station grfs are providing the needed tracktype automagically.

regards
Michael
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Wow. This is really cool!

It's really nice to have the option to have diagonal buffers!
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

michael blunck wrote:I don't think that "buffers as objects" is a sound concept since they're missing the tracks (vehicles will fall off the track before reaching those buffers).
I don't get it, what do you mean "vehicles will fall off the track before reaching those buffers"? It is not possible in openttd to fall from the track.
Vehicles are stopping right before sand/ballast pile retarder:
example2.png
example2.png (29.38 KiB) Viewed 9843 times
Main flaw with buffer as station tiles is, that they are station tiles, thus:
- increase overall infrastructure maintenance payment
- can be built only along cardinal direction
- if placed separately, need to be part of existing station (problematic due to station spread limit) or 1-tile sized additional station (additional label, worse town rating)
- not convenient to remove during station expansion + risk of total station destruction during buffer stop removal.
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I really like this concept. I agree with michael that tracks should extend to the buffer, but that shouldn't be too hard to add and wouldn't need to replace the existing ones you made.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

SimYouLater wrote:[...] I agree with michael that tracks should extend to the buffer, but that shouldn't be too hard to add and wouldn't need to replace the existing ones you made.
This is not possible since objects have no clue what particular track set would be in use. For "station buffers" this isn't a problem.

regards
Michael
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

michael blunck wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:[...] I agree with michael that tracks should extend to the buffer, but that shouldn't be too hard to add and wouldn't need to replace the existing ones you made.
This is not possible since objects have no clue what particular track set would be in use. For "station buffers" this isn't a problem.

regards
Michael
Then just make the tracks rusty.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

SimYouLater wrote: Then just make the tracks rusty.
Didn't you talk about "incompatibilities"in that other thread?

regards
Michael
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well... I don't see the link ? Incompatibilities between trains that are made for X track width have nothing to do with buffers that don't match X track.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

SimYouLater wrote:I agree with michael that tracks should extend to the buffer
Seems that there is misunderstanding: in this version of track terminal rails should not extend to the buffers, because are covered by sand retarder:
http://forum.modelarstwo.info/attachmen ... pg.187322/

Michael is talking about other kind of buffers, these mounted directly on rails without sand retarder (sometimes there are hydraulic retarders attached, instead of sand) - such buffers are usually placed on terminal station, where is no place for long sand retarder - therefore his idea with buffers as station tiles is right here.
My idea is right for standalone track terminals.
Last edited by Wahazar on 31 Mar 2019 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Thank you!!! Having buffers as objects is perfect. I like to make junctions and sidings as realistic as possible so most have a dead end peice of track often miles from a station so an object buffer is perfect. Also this is the only diagonal buffer i know about.
Great work. :bow:
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

McZapkie wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:I agree with michael that tracks should extend to the buffer
Seems that there is misunderstanding: in this version of track terminal rails should not extend to the buffers, because are covered by sand retarder:

Michael is talking about other kind of buffers, these mounted directly on rails without sand retarder (sometimes there are hydraulic retarders attached, instead of sand) - such buffers are usually placed on terminal station, where is no place for long sand retarder - therefore his idea with buffers as station tiles is right here.
My idea is right for standalone track terminals.
I see! Never mind, I was wrong to assume anything here. Looking forward to a release!
Licenses for my work...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Version 2 uploaded to bananas.
I added small train stop signal at the beginning of the sand heap, as seen at real picture above.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Version 4 uploaded to bananas.
Black stop signs have now bounding box to avoid clipping,
and sand pile is terrain-type aware.

There is one flaw: newgrf is checking, if adjacent tile is a "railroad" type - thus it is not possible to place bumper at the end of the station - only at the end of lone track. Not sure if I should fix it or leave as it is?
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

I'd leave it as is. There are already lots of station tile buffers out there. That's why this grf is unique.

Edit: I've found a bug.

If you place the buffers above an existing line, they face in the wrong direction. See screenie.
Attachments
The Snow Shifters, 28th Apr 1906#1.png
(133.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Because automatic adjustment is convenient in case of lonely track, but is fooled if there are other track congested around,
I decided to add another type of EoT objects: end of track for straight track, with 4 fixed views.
These can be placed also directly to station tile.
Version 5 was downloaded to bananas, and have two objects: automatic (4 view options for straight, vertical, horizontal and double diagonal)
and fixed straight (4 view options for NE, SE, SW, NW)
Attachments
eot5.png
eot5.png (91.62 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Thanks for the fix!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Really smart!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Unfortunately, OTTD only returns 4 bits for a tile's landclass *type*. Since usually there's interest for more detailed information, and because there are still 4 bits free ("reserved for future use") in var60/62, it would be beneficial to return meaningful information by use of those 4 unused bits, depending on the landclass type. I.e., in case for class 1 (railway track), it could at least reveal bits 0/1 from L5 (track in x/y direction).

That would be smart.

regards
Michael

Return to “Graphics Development”