Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Geo Ghost »

Ok yeah that's a good point :mrgreen:
Even the ATO system for the TL core isn't working (yet), and that's on a very short and slow bit of line. Mainline driving I think as you say, I'll be fine for a good while yet :P
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I got bored travelling home yesterday night and decided to write something random on my phone....

And now, off we go again on our old class 3-1-3,
Sitting lonely and idle, awaiting the turn of our key.

The AWS wailing, train all prepped and waiting,
Checking lights and buttons all over the desk plating.

Doors are all clear, dispatched with R-A,
With a pop and a bang we then roll out the bay.

Off we go along bumping, rocking, and bouncing,
And again the PA probably not clearly announcing.

These poor old girls, so old just needing to finally retire,
Whilst we're just hoping that the compressor doesn't catch fire.

With seating and looks which go back to a by-go age,
And yet reporting a simple fault to fleet fills us with rage.

Thundering along, pigeons flying into us like a rock,
PSHHH, the brakes slam on. Damn birds hit the trip-cock!

Another cancellation and more delays as we run late,
Getting to Finsbury, the dreaded call "No relief driver mate!"
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Probably the only poem ever inspired by the mighty class 313!
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

For What it's worth, was passing through El Paso while visiting some partially closed National Parks last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to find this smaller city had built itself a 'new' streetcar that I'd never heard of before, despite usually following most American mass-transit news. As it happened, the line ran from right by out airbnb to downtown, and was free on weekends, so I took a aimless circuit to try it out.

Most interestingly, the fleet is six old PCC cars that used to run in El Paso in the 50s, thouroughly refurbished to be fully ADA compliant (accesible), and with modern electrical gear including pantographs. The service just started in November, so both motormen and riders seem to be expressing a genuine sense of novelty and exuberance, which made the trip quite uplifting. They are definately trading heavily on nostalgia, with period appropriate liveries and sticking entirely to old cars from the city's former system. It doesn't seem likely to take many commuters out of their cars yet, but it's a handy way to get between nightlife areas without driving.

http://www.sunmetro.net/streetcar
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I believe this El Paso line is a partial restoration of a PCC car line that used to cross the border until the 1950s, no?
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

Kevo00 wrote:I believe this El Paso line is a partial restoration of a PCC car line that used to cross the border until the 1950s, no?
I wouldn't quite call it a restoration, as it uses all new track and infratructure, none of the infrastructure of the combined Juarex-El Paso system seems to remain. Also I am not sure that the particular cars used ever ran the international route, as they were first built in the late 30s in California, and only later bought by El Paso in the 50s. They may have arrived just too late to run over the bridge.

That said, I do hope El Paso comes away from the experience enthused to build out more transit - while it is a very car focused city, geography pinches it in away that make rail corridors not too crazy, espescially something like a heavy rail commuter line running up to Las Cruces. The city would do well to eventually connect across the border again, but in the current national political climate I can't imagine trying to get funding for 'subsidized public transit to bring people from Ciudad Juarez straight into the heart of an american city", even if locals on the ground know that cross border trips and commutes are a vital part of the Jurez-El Paso metro area.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

An Ethiopian Air 737-MAX has crashed, seemingly with the loss of all aboard, reported to be over 150 lives. The plane involved was reported to be just months old, and it crashed shortly after take off.

China has responded by grounding all 737-MAX in its airspace, the rocky start to the -MAX started a few years ago after another relatively newly delivered LionAir 737-MAX crashed shortly after take off, with 189 deaths (all aboard).

Boeing are sure to face more questions about the -MAX, after another incident less than 6 month after another of its new range crashed. Although its still way too early to tell what happened to the Ethiopian plane.

Sources:
BBC News: Ethiopian Airlines Crash
CNN: China grounds its fleet of 97 737-MAX
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

With Virgin out of the running, having been disqualified from the West Coast Partnership bidding due to not offering the correct pension levels, Virgin may be removed from the UK rail network after over 20 years.

BBC News.

Will be a shame, but pensions gotta be paid!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Was discussing this... say what you like about Beardy - and I care not for him - but he knows how to build a brand. Some People still refer to XC trains as Virgin some 11 years after operations ceased.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

End of an era...!

I may still have an old name badge sitting in my drawer somewhere...!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Speaking of 'end of an era', I think the 3rd of our 313's is being taken away today for scrapping.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote:Speaking of 'end of an era', I think the 3rd of our 313's is being taken away today for scrapping.
Awh. Another class of train I won't be able to spot them all of before scrapping :( they're quite nice looking on the inside too, at least the ones i have seen around Brighton Mainline. Although I guess 40ish years of running has ruined the mechanical bits.
Dave

Post by Dave »

FA83C1A6-D415-43B3-AC4E-D792362E2503.png
FA83C1A6-D415-43B3-AC4E-D792362E2503.png (521.53 KiB) Viewed 7403 times
026 - the first to go - arriving at her final destination.

Contrary to that Braggart Lei’s view I’m not a crank! But I was gutted by this pic. It just feels so final.

Progress, I guess.

Flickr

Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave wrote: 026 - the first to go - arriving at her final destination.
She was sitting behind the depot for months due to being over-milage. Used for spare parts pretty much!
DSC_3640.JPG
(4.5 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

They've put a very good stint in but the GN and GE PEPs are pretty bloody knackered add their replacements are a big step change in passenger environment.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That’s not the view of the vocal local !

I think they’re grand but mostly it’s “hard seats”, “less seats”, so on and so on.....

Flickr

Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave wrote: I think they’re grand but mostly it’s “hard seats”, “less seats”, so on and so on.....
Driving seat is pretty nice... :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I think the problem with new sets lies with their "ironing board" seats. Not sure why it has been the common there... but they could have a longitudinal sofa...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Going up a bit, Virgin must be one of the few TOCs to become a household name, though helped by other Virgin brands.

314s on ScotRail going too, sad times.
Dave

Post by Dave »

It’s irrelevant anyway they do 70 minute turns on a heavy commuter line. The other gripe is there are less seats, but that means more standing room - considering most people are on the train for less than half an hour (and those that are on for longer generally get a seat...) I just don’t see the whining.

And sure, bet the driver’s seat is nice - shame you have to get out of it to see the up starters in the tunnels ;)

Flickr

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”