Is this the only way to add more cars to a set of trains?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Is this the only way to add more cars to a set of trains?

Post by MarkShot »

All trains have shared orders and I am sending them all to stop in the same depot.

One by one, I am add more cars to them. (see screen shot)

Is they the most efficient way to get this done. I know I can engines upgrading automatically as they enter depots if I have the cash.

Thanks!
Attachments
20190408 211132 AddCars.jpg
(1.89 MiB) Not downloaded yet
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Is this the only way to add more cars to a set of trains?

Post by planetmaker »

Actually yes. There's no consist-replacement (yet).
eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee »

Yeah. It's fiddly, doubly so if you use universal wagons; they need refitting. There is a much less labour-intensive way if you've reached the money-no-object phase of the game: buy new longer trains and scrap the old ones. Detail enhancements: make the old trains stop in a depot via their orders, (great addition to the game,) use a separate depot so they don't get in each others way, and click on an old train to copy orders to the new one.
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The easier way to change the trains on a route to be longer can actually be something as "stupid" as building the new train consist, cloning that one as many times as needed, and then selling all the original trains. It will cost more, but it's fewer clicks and less babysitting.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Or you can use JGR Patch Pack instead of official OpenTTD, there is Template Replacement Patch.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

Where does one get this patch pack? I didn't notice it in the online content.

Thanks.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

It's not in the online content. It's on the forum. It can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

Regarding JGR's Patch Pack, I simply unzip it of OTTD v1.9?

Is there a manual or just the forum threads?

How stables is it relative to the base OTTD build?

Thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Use a separate, empty directory and unzip it there. It allows you to use different versions in parallel, if you have for each your own directory (and disc size is no issue either).

Simply start the binary from that directory and you're ready to go (same as with OpenTTD... the installer is just a convenience feature but absolutely not needed.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

At the end of the first post you have two downloadable files. One version of JGRPP for win32, another for win64. Download the one you need. You can directly launch it from the .zip file, although you should unzip it.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

Okay, I did give it a quick try. Lot's of interesting features. It there any quick introduction so that it is not necessary to read through the entire forum thread?

Thanks.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The first post has links to most of the patches, which explains how to use those features. It also has a short description of the features as well.

Reading most of the posts probably won't be helpful. It's largely discussion about bugs and requests to add new features
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

kamnet wrote:The first post has links to most of the patches, which explains how to use those features. It also has a short description of the features as well.

Reading most of the posts probably won't be helpful. It's largely discussion about bugs and requests to add new features
Is the latest JGR patch save game compatible with OTTD 1.9 in both directions?

Thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

MarkShot wrote:
kamnet wrote:The first post has links to most of the patches, which explains how to use those features. It also has a short description of the features as well.

Thanks.
No.

You likely can play your 1.9 savegame in JGRPP, but you cannot vice versa.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

planetmaker wrote:
MarkShot wrote:

Thanks.
No.

You likely can play your 1.9 savegame in JGRPP, but you cannot vice versa.
Yes, I was watching some YouTube videos the last 2 days (feeling under the weather).

It seems one could divide JGR into two class of changes:

#1) Behavioral only

#2) Behavioral/metadata (meaning save)

So, #2 supports a subset of OTTD, but adds its own stuff into the saves.

The reason I have been researching. The most important thing to me is stability, support, size of community, more than features ... I do like the bonus features in JGR. But I do not want them at expense becoming part of a fringe player community.

PS: I know this is a sensitive debate, and won't ask for opinions. I know I will have to make up my own mind.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The overwhelming majority of players use the stock client. But I wouldn't say that those who play JGRPP are "fringe", either. There's a few thousand of us, and many of the people who you see posting screenshots and the like are using patch packs.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

kamnet wrote:The overwhelming majority of players use the stock client. But I wouldn't say that those who play JGRPP are "fringe", either. There's a few thousand of us, and many of the people who you see posting screenshots and the like are using patch packs.
I meant no insult by “fringe”. I am sure you never use the demolition tool on people. :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Playing JGRPP is not only fringe to community, but also give a feedback to the official version, because JGRPP is build against newest trunk version, thus playing it gives opportunity to find a bugs, before official version will be released.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

McZapkie wrote:Playing JGRPP is not only fringe to community, but also give a feedback to the official version, because JGRPP is build against newest trunk version, thus playing it gives opportunity to find a bugs, before official version will be released.
That of course is only partially true. Finding bugs in newest trunk versions is best done by playing just that: newest versions of OpenTTD master (trunk is to master like what subversion is to git :D ).

That said, JGR himself is very helpful in reporting bugs and often providing fixes to stuff which goes wrong in our master when he finds those or receives reports against JGRPP - so, yes, that is very helpful and much appreciated.
MarkShot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkShot »

My view is of an analogy:

Competition and free markets are good.

New ideas can be tested for inclusion in the mainstream version. It provides a drive towards continued progress.

However, I understand that mainstream version by definition must be more conservative and cater to a larger less hard core base. So, it provides an LCD of OTTD.

Of course, I have only just arrived, but I see it as all good.

---

About the discussion of coding standards ... I have worked on code written when I was just a kid. School is very misleading as programming is very much about maintenance and programming in the large. There are times when fast and dirty is the way to go; other times when you want to reduce code entropy or cancer as much as possible.

---

Another good analogy for this community would by the progress of science. How on the edge, radicals push the envelope and challenge dogma, but adherence to dogma provides for slow and steady progress until there is a paradigm shift.

Return to “General OpenTTD”